Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Vikings fire Tice

Retired

Vikings fire Tice

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2277493

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minnesota Vikings fired coach Mike Tice after Sunday's victory over Chicago.

Owner Zygi Wilf announced he would not renew Tice's contract in a statement less than an hour after the Vikings' 34-10 win over the Bears in the regular season finale. Tice, who compiled a 33-34 overall record -- including a 1-1 record in the postseason -- had already addressed the media before the move was made public. The announcement came via press release after most players had left the Metrodome.

"I don't know who was more shaken by it, him or me," Tice said of what he called an emotional meeting with Wilf.

The timing of the move and the means by which it was delivered stunned the few players still at the Dome.

"It's the owner's decision," said quarterback Brad Johnson, as he left the stadium with his family. "It's a tough business, and I appreciate Mike and the way he treated me and the way he treated the team. I wish him greatness."

Tice's tenure was mostly marked by streaks and scandals, with a $100,000 fine levied last summer against him by the league for scalping his Super Bowl tickets, and a wild boat party during the team's bye week this season that produced misdemeanor charges against four players.

After starting 2-5, the Vikings won six straight before losing two in a row to fall out of contention for the playoffs.

Tice compiled a 32-33 regular-season record in four-plus seasons at the helm in Minnesota.

"After significant evaluation, we feel that now is the time to make a coaching change," Wilf said in the statement.

The owner was gone when the statement was issued to media in the locker room and he scheduled a news conference for Monday.

Pro Bowl kick returner Koren Robinson had to compose himself before commenting, managing a "Whoa, that's crazy," while he read the statement at his locker.

"In the locker room? Right after a game you just won?" Robinson said. "Give the man respect enough to wait until Monday to enjoy the win, at least."

Pro Bowl safety Darren Sharper crumpled up the release and threw it on the floor before declining comment and running back Mewelde Moore also tersely declined to comment.

Wilf said previously that Tice's job status would be discussed at the team's headquarters on Monday, but shortly before 7 p.m. CDT, the release was issued.

When asked about his mind-set after Minnesota's 34-10 victory over the Bears, Tice said the situation weighed on him as he contemplated 13 years with the organization. He progressed from a tight end in 1992 to offensive line coach to head coach.

"Of course it did, I'm a human being, a man," Tice said. "I've been here since '92. ... I've poured a lot of energy into this program."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Vikings fire Tice

I think it was a stupid move. They are penalizing the wrong guy for a season that was pretty tumultuous due to some off the field antics, and then some key injuries. They came back though and finished a respectable 9-7.

Maybe he'll end up in Houston? Capers is gonna be history. There are also gonna be some other coaching vacancies.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC

Maybe he'll end up in Houston? Capers is gonna be history. There are also gonna be some other coaching vacancies.
    There are also some vacancies for cruise directors.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

It was time....maybe Tice can get a job at TicketMaster

There are already a lot of coacing vacancies this off season. In addition to Tice getting fired and Dick Vermeil retiring, today the Rams fired Mike Martz, the Packers fired Mike Sherman, the Saints fired Jim Haslett and the Texans have fired Dom Capers.

I'd drool if my fav team could hire Martz to run the O..but someone will give him a head coaching gig.
    Go Gators!

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

It was time....maybe Tice can get a job at TicketMaster
    Or modeling leather jackets.

This move makes sense. Tice is a good guy, and his players love him but he could not consistently get his team ready for games. Remember, Dungy and Billick were also assistants of Denny Green and of those three who is the least successful? His high note was beating the Packers in a wildcard game at Lambeau last year. That was a big win for the fans, but if that is your biggest win in 4 years, the team needs a change. This year, the vikes were a very soft 9-7, with the only "big" win being vrs. the Giants.

Was NO's firing Haslett the right thing to do, seeing the team displaced and all that happened in NO's this year?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Was NO's firing Haslett the right thing to do, seeing the team displaced and all that happened in NO's this year?
    Haslett wanted out as well. From everything i've read, it seems like more of a mutual decision than a termination.

Tice deserved the boot. Keep in mind his history with ticket scalping and the cruise incident, along with his teams constantly underachieving, thats all it took. The team unloaded the supposed "problem" in Randy Moss, made several defensive acquisitions that backfired, and if it wasnt for a resurgence by Brad Johnson, this would be a non-issue.

I have a feeling Mike Martz will end up with the Texans. With his success with Marshall Faulk, he would be perfect for Reggie Bush.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Retired

Didn't Haslett demand some sort of ridiculous contract extension or he was going to walk? Looks like NO beat him to the punch.

Add one more coach to the fired list. The Raiders are expected to fire Norv Turner today.

I'm not sure how Norv Turner continues to get work.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Turn Off Ads?