Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Melting Pot

The Melting Pot

Anyone ever been there? If you haven't, don't go. We went last weekend - check came to $200.00 for four of us. Of course, that included a few adult beverages, but the food isn't cheap. While the food was good, very good. The service was TERRIBLE. The worst I have ever had at any restaurant, no matter the cost. TERRIBLE.

I went to the one on Montgomery Rd. It's a chain, so maybe others are better, but I won't waste my time finding out.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Melting Pot

Wrong forum. I am so upset about the Reds I don't know where I am.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

We have a Melting Pot here. I agree it's overpriced. When I went to the location here, it was my second visit. The first time was in Florida about 15 years earlier. I don't recall any flaws in the service either time, though. Maybe you got the worst of the waitstaff.

My kids thought it was cool. For those of us who cook a lot, it's not so exciting to go to a restaurant and cook your own meal—one bite at a time! Mrs. U thinks we should go there sometime for dessert only. I could handle that.

Cool to do every few years, but no more. Way overpriced.

But the deserts are unbelievable. It's worth going just for the desert.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

WOY used to wash dishes there IIRC.

I've nevre understood why fondue was so expensive.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Fondue, like fajitas, should come at a discount. Hey, if I have to do the work, what am I paying them for?

The Enquirer's food critic, Polly Campbell, had "uneven" experiences there, BTW. http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/d...eltingpot.html
    Makes all the routine posts.

I've been to a few and haven't really had a problem with service. The Cleveland Melting Pot was actually really accommodating when I took my wife there for her birthday, putting us at a nice secluded table for two and having a couple of fresh roses on the table. Chicago and Reston, VA had good service, but not quite to the level of Cleveland. Of course the Cleveland location is fairly new, so that's probably a big factor too.

While it is pricey, fondue works for romantic dinners for my wife and I. It gives us a way to share when we have different tastes. I like all meats, and I like my red meat medium rare. My wife prefers everything cooked through, and is picky about her food. Fondue gives us the opportunity to order a single dish to share and do things our own way.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

We've been to the one in Columbus a couple of times. First time we went...check this out...we had reservations. We show up at our reservation time and the place is completely locked up (Like Friday night a 6 or 7). Weird. So I start banging on the door. Nothing. Keep banging. Finally a dude comes and unlocks it. I tell him that we have a res. and ask him what's up? He says that he had a bunch of employees quit on him, forcing him to close for the day. Weird. He apologized, said he thought he had called all those with reservations to let them know. Obviously, he missed us. BUT, he did give us a $50 gift cert. for our trouble. We went back a few weeks later and really liked it. Have been back maybe twice since.

Agree with most of you...overall a good place. Fun--especially with group of 6 or 8. And yes, overpriced (but the $50 off helped). Also, we're not drinkers so that helps keep the total down. Everybody ought to try it once...just for the experience.

Oh and yes, the desserts were amazing.

Oh, just had this thought...if you guys like interesting, different kinds of places...have any of you tried Bd's Mongolian Barbeque yet? We eat at the one in the Arena District (C-bus) all the time. It may be our favorite restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    Oh, just had this thought...if you guys like interesting, different kinds of places...have any of you tried Bd's Mongolian Barbeque yet? We eat at the one in the Arena District (C-bus) all the time. It may be our favorite restaurant.
    I've been to a HuHot Mongolian Grill. That's a blast IF you're not there at the same time as everyone else who had the same idea otherwise you have to wait in line forever for them to cook your food unless you were smart enough to get two separate dishes prepared first. I do agree though that everyone needs to visit there at least once, if for no other reason than to figure out exactly what their curry tolerance level really is.

If you're looking for another truly unique dining experience, find a Carnaval Brazilian Grill. Good lord. It's a titch expensive (about 30 bucks per person for dinner with a drink), but the combination of food, service, and setting is simply ridiculous.

If anyone doesn't know how a Brazilian Grill works, it's a virtual "anti-buffet" buffet. You have to get your own salad (again, ridiculously good stuff on the salad bar), and preliminary fixings (black beans and rice, soup, a chicken stroganoff-type mix), but that's the last work you'll do for the evening.

When you're ready for the meats (15 selections seasoned and grilled over open flame), you just flip this little button they give you from red to green. That tells the waitress to bring your side dishes (garlic mashed potatoes, fried bananas, etc.). Then the guys walking around with meat on skewers to stop by and cut some off for you. Lamb, filet mignon, pork loin, seasoned chicken, sirloin steak, spiced sausages, etc. Just fantastic stuff.

But be careful. If you keep that button flipped to green you'll end up getting overwhelmed. So flip it to red every once in a while so you actually get to enjoy the food. Don't worry. When you flip it back to green they'll keep coming back so if there's something you tasted that you want seconds, thirds, fourths, or fifths on they'll bring it back to you.

And it is an "experience". I was fortunate to visit one in Las Vegas before taking my wife to the one near us and that most definitely helped lower the overall confusion level. It's definitely not a "first-date" place if you haven't been to one before because it's quite possible that you'll be three shades of confused. Heck, I had to explain what was going on to about half the people waiting in the lobby before dinner.

Flippin' out-of-this-world good. And yeah, even if you go with someone who's more herbivore than carnivore they can make a very satisfying meal out of nothing but the salad bar and extras for about half of what the full meal experience costs.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

In Columbus huh? Any directions? I'd luv to try it the next time we're in Columbus (sans the kids )
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    WOY used to wash dishes there IIRC.
    ALL fondue places have to be named The Melting Pot.

the one I worked in 22 years ago was in Walnut Creek California. They had hot oils (cook your own meat) and sandwiches and hamburgers, I made hamburgers and washed the dishes.

When the fondue is gone most people don't blow teh flame out, they sit and talk and talk and talk. meanwhile the last drop of cheese petrifies into a a chunk of carbon that is a PAIN to clean off.

Thanks for the memories.

OH and that Mongolian Barbeque stuff, I can't believe that it took 20 years to get to Ohio. I used to do that stuff up in my carnivore days.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    In Columbus huh? Any directions? I'd luv to try it the next time we're in Columbus (sans the kids )
    there are three in Columbus...one is at Sawmill. 2--the one we frequent is downtown--right next to Nationwide Arena (on Marconi St.). There is also one at Easton.

Great place...and BTW...my kids love it!

here's the link: http://www.bdsmongolianbarbeque.com/
    Last edited by max venable; 01-21-2006 at 10:58 AM.

there are three in Columbus...one is at Sawmill. 2--the one we frequent is downtown--right next to Nationwide Arena (on Marconi St.). There is also one at Easton.

Great place...and BTW...my kids love it!

here's the link: http://www.bdsmongolianbarbeque.com/

They actually have one in...Mongolia!
    http://www.bdsmongolianbarbeque.com/locations.html
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Brazilian Grills are awesome.

I can't believe fondue places are still around. I thought they went out with Crepe places and Starsky and Hutch.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?