Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bands You Once Liked But Are Too Ashamed To Admit It (Until Now)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Bands You Once Liked But Are Too Ashamed To Admit It (Until Now)

You guys better respond to this or I'm going to be out on this ledge all by myself.

Okay- here are some bands or artists that I have liked but now look back in shame upon myself for having done so:

Survivor (I stood outside in the freezing cold in Dayton [Hara Arena?] and paid $50 in 1985 to see them open for REO Speedwagon. I wore out "Vital Signs," "Eye of the Tiger," and "Caught in the Game.")

REO Speedwagon (It was a great double bill, and "Hi Infidelity" ruled my school)

Journey- I grew up on a farm in eastern Cincy- I didn't know any better.

Styx- See Journey.

Starship- (It was after Kantner and everyone left, so double shame)

Hanson (it's bad enough I'm admitting it, do I have to say why?)

Honorable mention:

You couldn't have found a bigger Phil Collins, Rick Springfield, or Bryan Adams fan than me in the early 1980s. I even liked Lionel Richie for a time, but I think I did because this really cute girl I had a crush on did, too. No excuse?

Darn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bands You Once Liked But Are Too Ashamed To Admit It (Until Now)

I just lost all respect for you

Go Gators!

These guys.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

And about 1975 I actually bought this in the 8 track tape format. This is baring my soul.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

I'm not ashamed to admit it, but I used to really liked Jethro Tull. I'm not so sure why any more though.

But I still think "love is like oxygen" by Sweet is the bomb.

What that says. I don't know.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    These guys.
    Good Girls Don't (But I do) is still brilliant. I don't care what anyone says.

So, you call her on the phone
    To talk about the teachers that you hate.
    And she says she's all alone,
    And her parents won't be coming home til late.
    There's a ringing in your brain,
    Cause you could've sworn you though you heard her saying...

Dom, all those bands had their moments, you just have to appreciate the irony in it. Look at this way, if you went bowling, wouldn't that be a good playlist?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I'm not ashamed to admit it, but I used to really liked Jethro Tull. I'm not so sure why any more though.

But I still think "love is like oxygen" by Sweet is the bomb.

What that says. I don't know.
    Just heard that song for the first time in decades the other day..... "Love is like oxygen. You get too much you get too high. Not enough and you're gonna die"

Hey! I love Jethro Tull, and not ashamed to admit it.

I liked the first 2-3 albums by Styx (espcially Equinox). After that - Blah! The songs "Babe" and "Mr Roboto" make me want to strangle the neighbor's cat.

I tried to follow the crowd and like Journey. Just couldn't hang.

But I don't really know if there are any bands that I listened to back then, that I would define as being ashamed of. I liked alot of the early to mid 60's bands that today would be labelled as "bubblegum" or muzak - Dave Clark 5, Hermans Hermits, Paul Revere, Mammas & the Pappas, Monkees, etc.

But I still enjoy them. Music doesn't always have to have some deep esoteric meaning for me in order to enjoy it.

I even like Peter Frampton (Live album and prior). The record industry did a number on this guy trying to make him the next David Cassidy when he is an exxcellent guitarist.

Closest that I can get.....

Though I do like "Don't Shot Me I'm Only The Piano Player" and "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"

That's as close as I can get Dom.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-02-2006 at 05:55 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Good Girls Don't (But I do) is still brilliant. I don't care what anyone says.

So, you call her on the phone
    To talk about the teachers that you hate.
    And she says she's all alone,
    And her parents won't be coming home til late.
    There's a ringing in your brain,
    Cause you could've sworn you though you heard her saying...
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Just heard that song for the first time in decades the other day..... "Love is like oxygen. You get too much you get too high. Not enough and you're gonna die"
    I heard it on that new station... Maxx FM and nearly stopped dead in my tracks - it had been a long time.

I think I'll pass on this thread only because I've never been too ashamed to admit to liking certain bands or music in general. I consider my tastes unique and I'm proud of it. Of course, getting insulted and harrassed all those years liking Duran Duran gives you a thick skin...
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Posion

I have no shame. I liked what I liked at the time, and still don't mind listening to some of the bands that popular opinion, which sometimes seems driven by talking heads on VH1, dismisses.

And I personally think that the fact that the same bunch of critics that moan about how terrible some of these bands were are now putting the Sex Pistols into the hall of fame says something.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

is it possible to respectfully respect an artist for a certain period of their career? because when they were good, Styx and Elton John put out some quality stuff.

that said, i'm jumping off the big-boy's diving board:
    ABBA.
    Yeah. That's right. ABBA. i thought Winner Takes It All and Fernando were kick ass songs.
    oh, and Blondie

No shame in liking anyone who writes their own music and plays their own instruments.

Now you should be ashamed if you liked a boy band.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    No shame in liking anyone who writes their own music and plays their own instruments.

Now you should be ashamed if you liked a boy band.
    Well, uh, I did become something resembling an NSYNC fan after taking my daughters to a concert in Lexington several years ago!
    Thank the Lord it was just a temporary thing.

I grew up listening to and enojoying many of the artists that have been mentioned in this thread; heck, I've even PAID $$$ to see Elton John (Rupp Arena), Lionel Richie and the Commodores (Louisville's Freedom Hall), and REO Speedwagon (Johnson City, TN's Freedom Hall) in concert.

I've bought the music of ABBA, Air Supply , Bryan Adams, Styx, and Starship, and I can even give you a few more artists that I've either attended their concerts or laid down cash for their songs---Neil Diamond, Gordon Lightfoot, Eric Carmen , the Bee Gees , Dr. Hook, Billy Joel, Barry Manilow, John Cougar Mellencamp, Gerry Rafferty, Prince, Simon & Garfunkel, Rod Stewart, Cat Stevens, Al Stewart, Toto, and I could go on and on.

Now, my final two I'd like to add are not really ones that I'm ashamed of, as the thread title says, but ones that some of you might THINK I should be!
    I have had a LIFELONG admiration and appreciation for Journey (who I finally saw in concert, minus Steve Perry, at Riverbend a few years ago) and for Dan Fogelberg (who I saw in concert at the Starwood Amphitheatre in Nashville many years ago).
    Those two are about the only ones I've mentioned here whose music I still play and enjoy listening to.

---RedRoser

Turn Off Ads?