Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: any predictions for next "news"....

Re: any predictions for next "news"....

I think the cheapest the Reds could get Dunn is 5yrs and $60M.

If guys like Burnitz can get $6M a year, well.

The steroid inflated number days seem to be over and a true high OPS player would seem to be a commodity whose price is seriously on the rise.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Opening Day!

It is so quiet that is the way it feels. So few good rumors.

The Reds sign Aurilia, slot him at 3B, and send Encarnacion either to the minors or away in a trade that will net absolutley nothing.
    School's out. What did you expect?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Does any of this news release count as "News?"

http://www.sportsfeatures.com/index....=show&id=28026

Hot Stove Notebook

JUST VISITING: C Jason LaRue will be in Cincinnati tomorrow (Thu, 1/5) and will be available to the media at 2:30 p.m. ET in the field level interview room at Great American Ball Park...on 12/21 he avoided arbitration by signing 2-year contract through the 2007 season...in 2006 LaRue will play in his eighth season with the Reds...he has the longest tenure of any current Reds player...LaRue will be here for a routine physical examination.

NARRON & COACHES IN TOWN: Manager Jerry Narron and his coaching staff will be in Cincinnati for meetings Tuesday (1/10) and Wednesday (1/11)...Narron, new coach Bucky Dent and the rest of the staff will be available to the media Tuesday at 12:30 p.m. in Great American Ball Park’s Crosley Room on press box level.

REDS HALL OF FAME ANNOUNCEMENT: The Reds Hall of Fame Class of 2006 will be announced next Wednesday (1/11) at 6 p.m. ET on reds.com and on 700 WLW Radio’s live Hot Stove League broadcast from the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum...the radio show is free and open to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    The Reds sign Aurilia, slot him at 3B, and send Encarnacion either to the minors or away in a trade that will net absolutley nothing.
    A trade would be nice, but expect them to let him rot in AAA unless he his .400 with 40 hrs.
    Go Gators!

I'm hearing rumblings now from two sources that the Reds are one of 8 teams to have expressed interest in Jeff Weaver. Reportedly, Boras would like to get Weaver a 4 year $40 million deal.

I don't really know how I'd feel about this if it were to happen.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan

Now looking at Weaver's stats last year, with a 4.22 ERA and 35 homeruns given up while playing in LA...

It'd be like Eric Milton 2K6
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I'm hearing rumblings now from two sources that the Reds are one of 8 teams to have expressed interest in Jeff Weaver. Reportedly, Boras would like to get Weaver a 4 year $40 million deal.

All I can say is

Now looking at Weaver's stats last year, with a 4.22 ERA and 35 homeruns given up while playing in LA...

It'd be like Eric Milton 2K6
    more like Eric Milton 2k4.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    more like Eric Milton 2k4.
    I meant Weaver would be the 2K6 version of last year's Eric Milton in Cincinnati.

I meant Weaver would be the 2K6 version of last year's Eric Milton in Cincinnati.
    i know what you mean. what i'm saying is because his career periphials, Weaver would be closer to what Milton was in Philadelphia. which is still crappy and not worth even Paul Wilson money.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

I'm tasty AND low in fat!

Looking at 2005 Weaver vs. 2004 Milton, there is just isn't enough difference for me to be confident that I would take a $40 million chance on Weaver:

Code:
    Season   Team      W    L    ERA    G  CG  ShO   IP  TBF    H    R   ER  HR  BB   SO
    2005     Weaver   14   11   4.22   34   3    2  224  930  220  111  105  35  43  157
    2004     Milton   14    6   4.75   34   0    0  201  862  196  110  106  43  75  161

Season  Team      K/9   BB/9   K/BB   HR/9    AVG    WHIP    BABIP
    2005    Weaver   6.31   1.73   3.65   1.41   .258    1.17    .280
    2004    Milton   7.21   3.36   2.15   1.93   .257    1.35    .274

Season  Team     GB/FB     LD%      GB%      FB%    HR/FB
    2005    Weaver    1.06  20.70%   40.90%   38.50%   13.10%
    2004    Milton    0.57  17.60%   29.90%   52.50%   13.50%
    Weaver did walk considerably fewer hitters and gave up slightly fewer home runs per 9IP (and Dodger stadium, while suppressing runs, does surrender the long ball). Plus, he's more of a ground ball pitcher than Milton, but then, who isn't? I wouldn't expect Weaver to be quite as bad as Milton 2K5, but there is nothing in his numbers that would make him worth $10 million a season playing in GABP in front of that defense.
    Last edited by TheGARB; 01-13-2006 at 03:34 PM.

I wouldn't give DanO any seconds if I was Cast. Keep him working on small stuff to you are able to get rid of him.

Besides, isn't Weaver a type A FA? That pretty much rules him out.

I kind of thought the next news was the exhuming and signing of Bid McPhee to compete for the second base job. I'd be surprised if DanO was wasting his time on starting pitchers--unless he wants to turn Weaver into a reliever.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Centralchamps05
    I kind of thought the next news was the exhuming and signing of Bid McPhee to compete for the second base job.
    There may be hope at 2B. DanO's been leaving messages on Joe Morgan's answering machine, to see if he'd be interested in putting the spikes back on. Since Joe hasn't returned his calls, I guess Bid McPhee may be the next best choice.

Turn Off Ads?