Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: You've got to be kidding me....Reds continue to negotiate with Aurilia

Re: You've got to be kidding me....Reds continue to negotiate with Aurilia

Signing both Aurilia AND Womack makes no sense whatsoever.

So the Reds will likely do it.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It was never about getting another draft pick.
    To the extent that the Reds believed that Aurilia might go to another team -- as I think he was probably hoping to do, given that O"Brien wouldn't promise him the 2B job -- I think they were protecting their interests by getting the draft pick compensation in place. Would have been nice. Instead, RA has discovered nobody else wanted him as a starter, and it also appears nobody else would offer him a utility job at a rate he deemed preferable to what he has on the table from the Reds. I get the feeling he has overvalued himself, and will come crawling back with that same chip he had on his shoulder last year.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

it's not like he'd block a hot prospect.
    Nor is it like he improves the team defense very much at all, he provides bat on the ball skills with flashes of power. But he's slower than most and had a few leg injuries last year making his range even more questionable.

It's his role (and ability to accept it) plus salary that makes me question why he's even being considered.

If the Reds devoted as much time to other matters on the club as they seem to have devoted to Rich then I'd be able to shrug off the weekly Aurilia Updates, however I get the vibe that somehow Dan prefers to tackle the easier questions first.
    Last edited by westofyou; 01-03-2006 at 12:14 PM.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

It makes me sick to my stomach that all we have to discuss is Rich Freakin Aurilia.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Well, signing Aurilia would undo what I so far consider to be DanO's finest move, so it's got its own internal sort of logic in that way.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Probably trying to convince Rich to take the 1st base job.
    DanO may still be thinking that there's a trade somewhere that will help the rotation. Richie to 1st, Adam back out to LF, Wily Mo and Williams for...name someone in his thirties with an ERA between 4.5-6.5
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    DanO may still be thinking that there's a trade somewhere that will help the rotation. Richie to 1st, Adam back out to LF, Wily Mo and Williams for...name someone in his thirties with an ERA between 4.5-6.5
    How many guesses do we get?

Brian Anderson?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Re: You've got to be kidding me....

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Competition for playing time is good. I don't understand the great dread if Aurillia comes back. He would give us legitimate depth (unlike Machado, etc) that we desparately need.
    He'd be handed the job AGAIN, just like last year..he would steal at bats away from EE when EE needs all the playing time he can get.

No thanks.
    Go Gators!

He'd be handed the job AGAIN, just like last year..he would steal at bats away from EE when EE needs all the playing time he can get.

No thanks.
    This is my fear as well. He'll get handed the 3B job while Narron tells everyone RA and EE will be "competing" in spring training.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    I know I'm in the vast minority, but I wouldn't mind having Aurillia back. He's only going to take playing time away from Womack and maybe Freel.. it's not like he'd block a hot prospect.

Competition for playing time is good. I don't understand the great dread if Aurillia comes back. He would give us legitimate depth (unlike Machado, etc) that we desparately need.
    Im not wanting Aruillia back for two reasons: #1) I have no reason to believe that he will contribute as much in '06 to the Reds as he did in '05----most of which was with the bat. #2)He's going to have to change his attitude and realize that he's a role player now; zip his lip and think about what he's assigned to do to improve the team. Unfortunately, nothing he's done during his time with the Reds shows that he can do that.

OTOH, if I knew that OB was going to trade for Womack and I could change it by going back in time and getting RA to sign with the Reds before they pulled the trigger on the trade, I'd do it.

Still six days to go.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    This is my fear as well. He'll get handed the 3B job while Narron tells everyone RA and EE will be "competing" in spring training.
    To quote Shatner, I can't get behind that.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Or..EE will have a slight slump, Rich will play..hit a homer..and that will be that.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    To quote Shatner, I can't get behind that.
    Wouldn't this be:

I........can't.........get........behind that.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Nor is it like he improves the team defense very much at all, he provides bat on the ball skills with flashes of power. But he's slower than most and had a few leg injuries last year making his range even more questionable.

It's his role (and ability to accept it) plus salary that makes me question why he's even being considered. .
    The problem is, who do you add to the roster if Aurillia is not signed. Bergollia? Unfortunately we have no depth at all in the major or minor leagues. Thus we are forced to pick up stop gaps like Womack and Aurillia.
    Aurillia isn't that bad. If he does sign, it will be at the Reds' price obviously, so why worry about the financial aspect? It's hard to tell what the Reds budget is. Reportedly they made a run for Morris. But in any event, the amount they pay Aurillia isn't going to make that much of a difference.

I'm not saying Aurillia is a difference maker. But we're a 5th place team. He makes us more respectable, even though his skills are limited. He's a good addition to this team, given the alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    If the Reds devoted as much time to other matters on the club as they seem to have devoted to Rich then I'd be able to shrug off the weekly Aurilia Updates, however I get the vibe that somehow Dan prefers to tackle the easier questions first.
    Now you have a point there. I'm not a big fan of DanO. A lot of the current mess is his fault. But his options are extremely limited. With no depth left, he creates a hole with every trade he makes. The Reds might be able to trade Dunn or Lopez to get a top flight pitcher.. but that's about it. Kearns/Pena aren't going to fetch much, and there's not much else on in the majors or minors that anyone really wants.

Again, I'm not defending DanO, because he's incompetent, but picking up depth in the position player area should be a priority. I don't want to see overmatched youngsters pressed into service.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

No thanks.
    I don't think so. I don't recall Aurillia getting a lot of playing time at 3b after Encarcion came up. There's nothing wrong with giving Encarcion a day off once a week or so anyhow, or playing a matchup. Encarcion will get plenty of at bats, no matter what infielders are signed.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?