Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: You've got to be kidding me....Reds continue to negotiate with Aurilia

Re: You've got to be kidding me....Reds continue to negotiate with Aurilia

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    How is it that the GM would not be privy to this conversation or would prefer to keep it undercover?
    He's privy to the conversation, he'd just rather Narron be the person to publicly state Aurilia's role, so that O'Brien does not appear to be dictating the lineups. (Which he was criticized for last year, but denied doing.)
    Makes all the routine posts.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    ok, but then the solution is to get rid of DanO and Narron.
    No one's saying that that ISN'T part of the solution. Ridding yourself of Aurilia, DanO and Narron aren't mutually exclusive options, and doing all three would make this a better team in the long run.

But that also has questionable value. Bergolla and Olmedo might not get better. Just because they're young doesn't mean they'll get better or ever become ML players. Assuming we had competent talent evaluators, I'd rather play a veteran than waste hundreds of at bats on a future Brandon Larson.
    You're looking at this from the perspective of the Reds being a perenially competitive team who are constantly active in the FA market. Well, the Reds aren't that team. The Reds are a bad ballclub without deep pockets. The only way this team can ensure competitiveness over the long term is to invest--money AND time--into younger, unproven players. We may hit a few Brandon Larson's along the way, but we'll also pick up some Felipe Lopez's.

To, as you put it, simply "play a veteran" over an unproven younger player is simply a foolish way to go about building this club. It's that mindset that has led the team to bring in the likes of Jimmy Haynes, Paul Wilson, Tony Womack and countless other low-yield veterans who serve no purpose on the club other than consuming a roster spot. Adding veterans should be the final piece of the puzzle for the Reds to build a competitive team--not the starting point. If the last ten years of this franchise has taught us nothing, it should teach us that.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Say hello to your new first basemen - Rich Aurilia
    I've entertained that thought, too.

FWIW, he's listed as 6'0" or 6'1" depending on your source, and has played just one game at the position (2004 witih the Padres).
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Say hello to your new first basemen - Rich Aurilia
    I suppose this could be a reality if Pena or Kearns is dealt. If that were to happen, I'd prefer to leave Dunn at 1B and play Denorfia in the OF.

let's see, all realistic defensive combonations:

Code:
    C	LaRue	Valentin
    1B	Dunn	Cruz	Aurilia	Valentin
    2B	Womack	Aurilia	Freel	Olmedo
    3B	Aurila	Encarnacion	Freel
    SS	Lopez	Aurilia	Womack
    LF	Pena	Freel	Dunn	Denorfia	Womack
    CF	Griffey	Freel	Kearns	Denorfia	Pena
    RF	Kearns	Pena	Denorfia
    say hello to the defense that might allow the Reds staff to get to 1000 runs against plataeu.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    This is one of the most puzzling moves that I can think of. O'Brien is as clueless as advertised. He can't be shown the door soon enough.
    Amen. O'Brien is the most utterly incompetent Reds GM in my lifetime. Dick Wagner may have been meaner, but even he was not as incompetent.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

the part i most dread if this resigning is true, is listening to Grande gush every time the Reds have Aurilia and Womack up the middle
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    the part i most dread if this resigning is true, is listening to Grande gush every time the Reds have Aurilia and Womack up the middle
    He gushes at slow ground balls that dribble into center field?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    Amen. O'Brien is the most utterly incompetent Reds GM in my lifetime. Dick Wagner may have been meaner, but even he was not as incompetent.
    Plus he won a ML executive of the year award as far back as 1957... he had 20 whole years to work after that before he got the job in the NL.

Now you have a point there. I'm not a big fan of DanO. A lot of the current mess is his fault. But his options are extremely limited. With no depth left, he creates a hole with every trade he makes. The Reds might be able to trade Dunn or Lopez to get a top flight pitcher.. but that's about it. Kearns/Pena aren't going to fetch much, and there's not much else on in the majors or minors that anyone really wants.

Again, I'm not defending DanO, because he's incompetent, but picking up depth in the position player area should be a priority. I don't want to see overmatched youngsters pressed into service.
    Dan O'Brien is the gravediggger who fills in the dirt while he's still standing in the grave. I'd rather see overmatched glovemen take the field than the parade of old declining lies that Dan brings to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    He gushes at slow ground balls that dribble into center field?
    you know it. and the first time either one makes a 'rangey' play to his left (even if a normal fielder would have been waiting on it) you'll never hear the end of how good they are. nor will you hear the end of how good they are at turning a DP.

i was watching a Pirates game yesterday. i watched Jack Wilson and Jose Castillo turn a DP. and the only thing i could think of while it was happening was: 'the Reds would have taken at least a full second longer to do that.'

The Pirates played yesterday?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    MLB tv. Pirates & Braves

I know nothing about mlb tv, lol
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I know nothing about mlb tv, lol
    http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/video/mlb_tv.jsp

only drawbacks are you can't watch the game of teams in your local market or games that were broadcast nationally.

I think he means the Port-Au-Prince Pirates, of the famed Caribbean League. They're having a great year.

Turn Off Ads?