Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: You've got to be kidding me....Reds continue to negotiate with Aurilia

Re: You've got to be kidding me....Reds continue to negotiate with Aurilia

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    :
    How many more washed-up, egotistical, veteran middle infielders do we need?

Let's go sign Jeff Kent.

(Memo to DanO - I'm kidding on Jeff Kent - really, I'm kidding)
    What's wrong with Jeff Kent? How is he washed up? He produced more runs last year than any Red? (Dunn 168 - Kent 176)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    I'm not saying Aurillia is a difference maker. But we're a 5th place team. He makes us more respectable, even though his skills are limited. He's a good addition to this team, given the alternatives.
    IMO he's meaningless. Ideally Encarnacion, Lopez and Freel play every day and Aurilia would get himself about 150 ABs tops. In fact, a glove man for the middle IF in the late innings might be of greater use. You can get yourself better PHs from the OF/1B ranks.

Most of all, I'd rather the team had the draft choice. Allowing Rich Aurilia to hook on elsewhere (and he will hook on elsewhere over the next month) means the club's turned a backup IF into a high draft pick. That's smart roster management.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

In a perfect world that's how it would be, but this is Narron and Dan O, guys who favor experience over potential, giving them the option of putting crafty vet in the lineup is a bad idea, he won't be a backup, he'll be a starter.

My worse fear is EE will slump at some point and Rich will be installed as the 3b, EE will as a result rot on the bench no matter what Rich does and we'll have toasted a prospect for nothing.

This team is going to be bad, he won't help and won't be here when this team is good, play Bergolla, play Olmedo play someone who is an unknown.
    Go Gators!

Support for Rich is support for Allen
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    In a perfect world that's how it would be, but this is Narron and Dan O, guys who favor experience over potential, giving them the option of putting crafty vet in the lineup is a bad idea, he won't be a backup, he'll be a starter.

My worse fear is EE will slump at some point and Rich will be installed as the 3b, EE will as a result rot on the bench no matter what Rich does and we'll have toasted a prospect for nothing.

This team is going to be bad, he won't help and won't be here when this team is good, play Bergolla, play Olmedo play someone who is an unknown.
    Excellent, and scary post.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

ok, but then the solution is to get rid of DanO and Narron.

But that also has questionable value. Bergolla and Olmedo might not get better. Just because they're young doesn't mean they'll get better or ever become ML players. Assuming we had competent talent evaluators, I'd rather play a veteran than waste hundreds of at bats on a future Brandon Larson.

Support for Rich is support for Allen .
    No way man!
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    IMO he's meaningless. Ideally Encarnacion, Lopez and Freel play every day and Aurilia would get himself about 150 ABs tops. In fact, a glove man for the middle IF in the late innings might be of greater use. You can get yourself better PHs from the OF/1B ranks.

Most of all, I'd rather the team had the draft choice. Allowing Rich Aurilia to hook on elsewhere (and he will hook on elsewhere over the next month) means the club's turned a backup IF into a high draft pick. That's smart roster management.
    I agree that a draft pick (used wisely) would be ideal. However with Allen running the show, I'm pretty confident that extra draft pick will be wasted. Last time we had an extra pick, we wasted it on Schramek, a guy that no one liked, but we picked because he was a senior and would sign for cheap.

I guess I see Freel playing a lot of time in the OF. I can agree with you that a good glove MI might be a better choice though than Aurillia. But there's still room to sign one of those even with Aurillia.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread
    What's wrong with Jeff Kent? How is he washed up? He produced more runs last year than any Red? (Dunn 168 - Kent 176)
    Sorry folks, should have been more careful with my sarcasm.

Sheesh.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    ok, but then the solution is to get rid of DanO and Narron.
    Well that's not gonna happen any time soon so it's better not to even give those 2 the chance to waste a prospect.
    Go Gators!

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...601040397/1071
    Aurilia could sign by Sunday deadline

By John Fay
    Enquirer staff writer
    Zoom AP photo
    Rich Aurilia
    ADVERTISEMENT

Rich Aurilia apparently will return to the Reds after all.

Aurilia's agent, Barry Axelrod, sounded optimistic Tuesday.

"I think the Reds are our most viable alternative," Axelrod said. "We've talked to some other clubs, but those have been contingent discussions."

The sides have a Sunday deadline hanging over them. If they can't work out a deal by then, Aurilia can't re-sign with the Reds until May 1.

"Both sides are trying to get it done," Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said.

Aurilia, 34, hit .282 with 14 home runs and 68 RBI in 114 games with the Reds last season. He led the club with a .343 average with runners in scoring position.

Both sides declined to exercise the option on Aurilia's contract. The Reds then offered Aurilia arbitration. He refused it Dec. 19, thereby extending to Jan. 8 the deadline to sign him

Aurilia's defensive flexibility - he can play shortstop, second base or third base - would give the Reds many options.

Aurilia's role is his main concern, and he has talked to Reds manager Jerry Narron about that.

"Jerry has talked to Rich," O'Brien said. "I don't want to speak for Jerry, but he outlined the way he intends to use the roster. It was a good conversation."

Aurilia would add to the crowd at second base. Ryan Freel and Tony Womack are already set to compete for time there.

But Aurilia also gives the Reds insurance at third. Edwin Encarnacion, 22, is slated to start there. If Encarnacion were to struggle, Aurilia could take over.

All the problems with this team and they are going to re-sign Aurilia after giving Freel a deal. I don't think they can be stupider at this point. They will be able to make equally stupid moves from here on out, but they are clearly further along than even clueless.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

This is one of the most puzzling moves that I can think of. O'Brien is as clueless as advertised. He can't be shown the door soon enough.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

But Aurilia also gives the Reds insurance at third. Edwin Encarnacion, 22, is slated to start there. If Encarnacion were to struggle, Aurilia could take over.
    Let's hope this is just Fay searching for a clue where there isn't one to be found. It's just too ridiculous for words.

"Jerry has talked to Rich," O'Brien said. "I don't want to speak for Jerry, but he outlined the way he intends to use the roster. It was a good conversation."
    I find this quote -- one we've seen on a couple of occasions already -- to be almost humorous. How is it that the GM would not be privy to this conversation or would prefer to keep it undercover? Operation Aurilia remains in the covert stage until when?

Assuming Freel is at 2nd, the bench now seems to be comprised of Denorfia, Valentin, Womack, Aurilia, Olmedo and Cruz. If they go with 12 pitchers, one of these guys is the odd man out. Shaping up to be Womack or Olmedo, I think, and I can't believe they'd keep Womack and ditch Rey-Rey, who's 10 years younger and coming off an absolutely huge winter league season as he continues his way back from TJ surgery.

Roster looking stupid right now.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Here's to hoping for an amazingly fast start by EE.

Say hello to your new first basemen - Rich Aurilia
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I've had a rough week on baseball analysis....but here's my view (like it matters)

Aurilia could sign by Sunday deadline

Rich Aurilia apparently will return to the Reds after all.

Aurilia's agent, Barry Axelrod, sounded optimistic Tuesday.

"I think the Reds are our most viable alternative," Axelrod said. "We've talked to some other clubs, but those have been contingent discussions."

TRANSLATION - 'There aren't any other teams that want us," Axelrod said. We've made up some numbers to give to O'Brien and he's suckered in to us."

The sides have a Sunday deadline hanging over them. If they can't work out a deal by then, Aurilia can't re-sign with the Reds until May 1.

"Both sides are trying to get it done," Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said.

Dear Dan - Please check your roster for other infielders, Sincerely, RedsFans

Aurilia, 34, hit .282 with 14 home runs and 68 RBI in 114 games with the Reds last season. He led the club with a .343 average with runners in scoring position.

As much as I dislike Rich, these stats from last year were better than expected. So, expect half the production next year with the extra-value meal sized ego.

Both sides declined to exercise the option on Aurilia's contract. The Reds then offered Aurilia arbitration. He refused it Dec. 19, thereby extending to Jan. 8 the deadline to sign him

Aurilia's defensive flexibility - he can play shortstop, second base or third base - would give the Reds many options.

His flexibility is on paper only. His mind has him as an All-Star caliber SS

Aurilia's role is his main concern, and he has talked to Reds manager Jerry Narron about that.

Aurilia would add to the crowd at second base. Ryan Freel and Tony Womack are already set to compete for time there.

I'm in favor of EdE struggling. It seemed like to me at times in September, EdE made good progress. We GOT to find out what he can do. 2006 seems to that year. Signing Rich Aurilia isn't, nor will it be, the answer.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?