Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: You've got to be kidding me....Reds continue to negotiate with Aurilia

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Re: You've got to be kidding me....Reds continue to negotiate with Aurilia

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    You know, it's very possible that DanO made a deal with Aurilius' agent to tell the public they're trying to negotiate a deal with Richus to try and drive demand for him. (Fay is just a maroon and buys it all at face value, which is why the smarter sorts in the Reds media don't publish articles about how Richus is returning.)

I'm sure most of you wouldn't find DanO capable of that, but he's capable enough at not telling people anything in interviews, too.

Anyone else want to add to my one-pretzel bet that Aurilius is NOT coming back to the Reds for 2006?
    Yea, I can see it now...

Agent: Uh, Dan if you could just give us a written offer for 3 years @ $4Mil per year we can drive the 'other' teams prices up.

Dan: Ok, but that's what you said last time. You aren't going to fool me again are you?

Agent: Quick, Rich! Sign here!

<DOH!>
    Last edited by WebScorpion; 01-06-2006 at 02:30 PM.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Anyone else want to add to my one-pretzel bet that Aurilius is NOT coming back to the Reds for 2006?
    I'd like to think that, but the reality has set in.

I'll bet a pretzel.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    I'd like to think that, but the reality has set in.

I'll bet a pretzel.
    Okay, well, there's three days left. What am I going to do with all these goddam pretzels? WOY, Pedro, you may have to comp me *another* beer to get all this salt through my system.

I'll bet apple juice that Rich will be back.

I don't eat pretzels
    Go Gators!

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    He gushes at slow ground balls that dribble into center field?
    Last year I saw a ball -hit medium hard- go past Aurila,a mere two steps away,and then travel all the way to the wall,splitting Junior and Dunn for a double. A freaking ball hit to SS that goes to the wall for a double! A fairly routine play at SS and definately not a gapper worthy of a double.

They can't grow grass high enough to get away with that sort of ineptness and get away with it.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

I still remember that dribbler in extra innings in Houston that got by him.

That would be emarrassing, even for me.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

It's always wise to suppliment our historically inept pitching with defensive statues in the field.

Good plan.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    It's always wise to suppliment our historically inept pitching with defensive statues in the field.

Good plan.
    I agree, I couldn't care less about the bat of our 2nd basemen at this point. He is molasis in the field. I would take Ray Ray or Will Bergolla before Richard.

of defense.

when i was busy projecting the runs allowed for the Reds last night, i started at a base of 900 for a pitching staff featuring crappy pitchers, and most of the starting candidates being flyball pitchers. i then estimated how many runs would allowed/saved by each starter at their position if allowed to play 162 games. this only takes into account balls that plays should have been made on, not on throwing/fielding errors.

i came up with two guys who save runs. Encarnacion and LaRue. EdE will probably negate the +10 i gave him in throwing errors (not really being helped by Dunn), and i gave LaRue a +9. coulda been a 10 as well, but i couldn't do it with the passed balls and inexplicable body movements behind the plate.

Griffey was far and way the worst at allowing an extra 35 runs. overall, range accounted for, i came up with the Reds allowing an extra 78 runs before even trying to adjust for errors.

being depressed at looking at 978 runs against, i then reduced the 78 runs by 15% to account for Olmedo, Bergolla, Denorfia, ect. playing time, and Griffey and/or Kearns getting hurt. at which point i was staring at 968 runs.

i gave up and realized that if Womack and Aurilia combine for more than 500 plate appearances, the Reds the Reds would be lucky to get 780 runs and 70 wins out of the year.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    I still remember that dribbler in extra innings in Houston that got by him.

That would be emarrassing, even for me.
    I said it at the time and I'll say it again. Aurilla wouldn't have started at SS for most of my beer league softball teams, and I'm not kidding, not one bit.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    I said it at the time and I'll say it again. Aurilla wouldn't have started at SS for most of my beer league softball teams, and I'm not kidding, not one bit.

GL

Come to think of it, he wouldn't have started for mine either. The 19 year old kid we had playing there had *sick* range and arm.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Hey Pedro and GL, I'm sure you guys are killer softball players, but come on, let's not get carried away here.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Slow progress on Aurilia's return
    By Marc Lancaster

Rich Aurilia probably will be a Red again by the end of the weekend, but Friday passed with no resolution on the free agent's status.

"At midnight on Sunday it'll be concluded one way or the other," Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said. "All I can tell you is we're working at it and it's been a slower process than anticipated."

Like it or not, the process will end by Sunday's Major League Baseball deadline for free agents offered salary arbitration by their former clubs to re-sign. Indications are Aurilia will do so, but his agent, Barry Axelrod, said the veteran infielder isn't completely sold on what the Reds are offering - in contract terms and playing time.

"We think they're undervaluing his services - or, undervaluing what we thought was a pretty solid performance last year," Axelrod said Friday evening. "We still have a little concern about how this all works with (Tony) Womack being there. They have told us that Richie wouldn't be impacted by Womack's presence, but I'm not sure how he wouldn't be. Tony plays second base, and with (Felipe) Lopez playing short and (Edwin) Encarnacion at third, the more likely position for Richie to have been playing was second. With Womack there, it would seem like that would at least impact some time."

Axelrod said Aurilia has spoken with Reds manager Jerry Narron about how playing time might be divvied up, and all parties involved understand that Aurilia will not be penciled in as the everyday second baseman if he signs. He probably would get the majority of playing time at the position, but also could see some time on the left side of the infield as Narron works Womack and Ryan Freel into the lineup at second.

The compensation issue is another matter. Shortly after the World Series, Aurilia and the Reds mutually agreed to decline an option for 2006 that would have paid him $2 million. If he does return to Cincinnati, it likely won't be for significantly more than that figure. Aurilia doesn't have much leverage on that front, as his time on the open market hasn't generated the kind of offers he hoped for.

"I'm a little surprised that there's not more interest," said Axelrod. "You see guys like (Jose) Vizcaino sign, and Junior Spivey, and Richie just blows them away statistically."

Vizcaino, who hit .246 with one home run and 23 RBIs in 98 games for the Astros this year, signed with San Francisco for $1.25 million. Spivey, who hit .232 with seven homers and 24 RBIs in 77 games between Milwaukee and Washington, signed with St. Louis for $1.2 million.

Aurilia hit .282 with 14 homers and 68 RBIs in 114 games with the Reds, so Axelrod's point is well taken. But his phone hasn't been ringing, and that likely will bring Aurilia back to Cincinnati.

"I think there's probably a real good chance something will happen there," said Axelrod. "He did well there last year."
    I'm pretty sure that having Dan Freaking O'Brien comment that something is happening slowly is one of the signs of the apocalypse.

Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    I'm pretty sure that having Dan Freaking O'Brien comment that something is happening slowly is one of the signs of the apocalypse.

Maybe they are waiting for pictures to develop.

Maybe DanO got something right - offered a p/t role 1 yr at 1.5mill.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

"Axelrod is slow." - Dan O'Brien

"Anna Nichole is a *****." - Paris Hilton

"Lava is hot." - The Sun
    Makes all the routine posts.

Turn Off Ads?