Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: You've got to be kidding me....Reds continue to negotiate with Aurilia

Re: You've got to be kidding me....Reds continue to negotiate with Aurilia

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Hey Pedro and GL, I'm sure you guys are killer softball players, but come on, let's not get carried away here.
    I'm not that good a player, but the guy who played SS on our sofball team plays college ball and honestly had more range at SS than RA could have. It's just a matter of youth and speed and when the rest of your team isn't that good you need a short stop who can make catches on fly balls to the outfield. Now, I'm sure RA would outhit the guy, that's a no brainer, but I just don't see how RA could have more range as he's just so slow.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I'm not that good a player, but the guy who played SS on our sofball team plays college ball and honestly had more range at SS than RA could have. It's just a matter of youth and speed and when the rest of your team isn't that good you need a short stop who can make catches on fly balls to the outfield. Now, I'm sure RA would outhit the guy, that's a no brainer, but I just don't see how RA could have more range as he's just so slow.
    Yeah all that's great, but did your guy have that veteran leadership thing going like RA does?

Now that wins games!!
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer
    Last year I saw a ball -hit medium hard- go past Aurila,a mere two steps away,and then travel all the way to the wall,splitting Junior and Dunn for a double. A freaking ball hit to SS that goes to the wall for a double! A fairly routine play at SS and definately not a gapper worthy of a double.

They can't grow grass high enough to get away with that sort of ineptness and get away with it.
    Not defending Aurilia here but if it were a medium-hard hit ball and the SS couldn't get it, you'd have to have two statues in the OF for that ball to get to the wall. Dunn is no gazelle out there but he runs fairly decent and Jr. may have still been on the mend from his surgery but if it's a medium-hard hit ball that got past the SS, I would think it would slow up enough for Jr. to get to it. If the ball was hit as hard as you say it was, by all means it was Aurilia's fault that he didn't get to it but that's only a single. If the OFers let that ball get to the wall it's their fault.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Hey Pedro and GL, I'm sure you guys are killer softball players, but come on, let's not get carried away here.
    Hey, I never said we wouldn't have let the big guy hit ... we just had a more range guy as SS.

GL

I'd like to go on record as saying that if the Reds didn't trade for Womack and if Rich Aurilia was a "team first" kind of guy who didn't talk smack to the media, I'd probably want him back, as a utility guy.

But if the plan is for him to get more than 200 ab's I'd have to say no.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

MLB.com seems to think the Aurilia is the most important of the 5 unsigned "declined arbitration" guys, since his photo is featured atop the article about the topic on every teams' web site. He must be more important than Eduardo Perez, Alex S. Gonzalez, Jeff Weaver, and Pedro Astacio.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/...2005&fext=.jsp

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Not defending Aurilia here but if it were a medium-hard hit ball and the SS couldn't get it, you'd have to have two statues in the OF for that ball to get to the wall. Dunn is no gazelle out there but he runs fairly decent and Jr. may have still been on the mend from his surgery but if it's a medium-hard hit ball that got past the SS, I would think it would slow up enough for Jr. to get to it. If the ball was hit as hard as you say it was, by all means it was Aurilia's fault that he didn't get to it but that's only a single. If the OFers let that ball get to the wall it's their fault.
    Oh,I was including Junior and Dunn in the rant. I wasn't clear on that, but yeah, their defensive suckitude was meant to be included. The team's deficiency on defense was summed up in that one play.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

If RA signs a 1-year deal for 1.5-2.0 million...
    If he realizes that he's not guaranteed a full-time position and may end up playing all over the infield in a backup role...
    If he doesn't pipe off about playing time, the negotiations, etc...
    If signing him doesn't lead to OB thinking that his signing somehow makes Kearns or Pena more available to trade...

Then, I'd be fine with signing RA. He'd be an asset in the right role(s).

There are a lot of 'ifs' there.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty and Joe
    If he realizes that he's not guaranteed a full-time position and may end up playing all over the infield in a backup role...
    If signing him doesn't lead to OB thinking that his signing somehow makes Kearns or Pena more available to trade...

Yep, I agree with this completely. I have no faith, however, that he won't be constantly yapping about playing time.

Me, me, me. That's what I heard from him last year.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

It amazes me that DanO is negotiating with someone who, by his agent's own admission, has drawn scant interest from other MLB teams. Make an offer and leave it at that.

DanO should be talking to Dunn's agent.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds

DanO should be talking to Dunn's agent.
    I'd rather have the new GM talking to Dunn's agent.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    I'd rather have the new GM talking to Dunn's agent.
    I'd rather have Creek talking to Dunn's agent.

THAT will keep him in Cincy
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I don't think I ever have seen a GM slower than making a baseball decision (regardless of the magnitude) than Dan O'Brien.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty and Joe

If "if & buts" were candy & nuts - we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

No, what's going to happen is this .

RA signs 1 yr 2.5 million
    He is not in the Opening Day lineup.
    EdE goes 2-40 in the first part of the season.
    RA whines about sitting while EdE goes through his learning curve even though Womack goes 1-37. (veteran leadership sticks together.)
    Kearns is traded to the Cubs for some AA pitching hack.
    EdE gets sent to Louisville - RA assumes 3B. Goes 2-21. Complains that the earlier "benching" is causing him to be rusty.
    RA feasts on crappy September pitching to hit .280 again.
    Reds lose 95.
    RedsZoners pull this thread up again in December of 2006.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    If "if & buts" were candy & nuts - we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

No, what's going to happen is this .

RA signs 1 yr 2.5 million
    He is not in the Opening Day lineup.
    EdE goes 2-40 in the first part of the season.
    RA whines about sitting while EdE goes through his learning curve even though Womack goes 1-37. (veteran leadership sticks together.)
    Kearns is traded to the Cubs for some AA pitching hack.
    EdE gets sent to Louisville - RA assumes 3B. Goes 2-21. Complains that the earlier "benching" is causing him to be rusty.
    RA feasts on crappy September pitching to hit .280 again.
    Reds lose 95.
    RedsZoners pull this thread up again in December of 2006.

That's scary, very scary. Reason is because it's probably going to turn out to be true.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Turn Off Ads?