Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changes Could Be In Store For 2006 Reds (1/1/06)

Changes Could Be In Store For 2006 Reds (1/1/06)

01/01/2006 10:00 AM ET
    Changes could be in store in Cincy
    New ownership group, position shifts expected for '06 Reds
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

No doubt, the 2006 season could be a pivotal one for the direction of the Reds.

A new ownership group, led by Cincinnati businessman Robert Castellini, is likely to be in place at some point during the upcoming season. That could mean sweeping changes for a ballclub that has endured five consecutive losing seasons.

But we don't know who will be affected, and we don't know when.

Chief operating officer John Allen, general manager Dan O'Brien and manager Jerry Narron do not have contracts beyond 2006 will need to show they can succeed and work under the new ownership this season in order to secure extensions.

O'Brien has been active this winter attempting to overhaul a rotation that was the worst in the National League in 2005. With the league's best run producers and bats to spare, he began seeking more balance at the Winter Meetings.

Out went first baseman Sean Casey in a trade. In came lefty pitcher Dave Williams from the Pirates in exchange. The same week, infielder Tony Womack was acquired from the Yankees for two Minor Leaguers.

Expect O'Brien to explore the thin free agent market in the coming weeks to land another front-line starter. If not, more trades could be coming.

Otherwise, optimism would be difficult to come by for the pitching staff. Last year's big free agent addition, lefty Eric Milton, suffered through the worst season of his career (8-15, 6.47 ERA) and allowed 40 home runs. Paul Wilson will be coming off shoulder surgery that ended his 2005 season in June. Aaron Harang was a bright spot with a team leading 11 wins and 19 quality starts while pitching 211 2/3 innings.

Season in Preview

A lot can change by Opening Day, but as 2005 becomes 2006, this is who is projected to take the field for the Reds:
    2B Ryan Freel
    SS Felipe Lopez
    CF Ken Griffey Jr.
    1B Adam Dunn
    RF Austin Kearns
    LF Wily Mo Pena
    3B Edwin Encarnacion
    C Jason LaRue
    SP Aaron Harang
    SP Eric Milton
    SP Paul Wilson
    SP Brandon Claussen
    SP Dave Williams
    CL Todd Coffey

More previews: Select a team MLB Angels Astros Athletics Blue Jays Braves Brewers Cardinals Cubs Devil Rays Diamondbacks Dodgers Giants Indians Mariners Marlins Mets Nationals Orioles Padres Phillies Pirates Rangers Red Sox Reds Rockies Royals Tigers Twins White Sox Yankees

In the bullpen, veterans David Weathers and Kent Mercker will be back and are expected to be dependable. The club is still seeking a closer and to shore up other parts of the relief staff.

With the exception of Casey, most of Cincinnati's high-octane offense will be returning. Adam Dunn is shifting from left field to first base. That will give Wily Mo Pena (left field) and Austin Kearns (right field) their first opportunity to play every day in the Majors. Ken Griffey Jr. will seek to build on his comeback 2005 season.

Unlike last spring, Felipe Lopez will be an incumbent shortstop and trying to duplicate his breakout -- and All-Star -- 2005 season.

But no matter how good the offense is again, the Reds will only go as far as their pitching staff takes them.

Offseason report card: On a scale of one to 10 -- with 10 being the best -- let's give the Reds a four, because it's still early. The club is still trying to make moves to improve.

Arrivals: LHP Williams, 2B/OF Womack (trades), LHP Chris Hammond (free agent)

Departures: 1B Casey

The road ahead: It's all about pitching. Before reporting to Spring Training in Sarasota, the Reds need to continue their efforts to upgrade the staff and score a top-end starter and experienced closer.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?
    You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Re: Changes Could Be In Store For 2006 Reds (1/1/06)

This article just made me more depressed.

The end just basically showed that the Reds have done absolutely nothing this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    This article just made me more depressed.

The end just basically showed that the Reds have done absolutely nothing this offseason.
    I agree,

How in the world can Mark Sheldon rate the moves made so far a 4 on a scale of 1-10?

It is still early Jan. I think even with O'Brien running things, we will start to see some moves before spring training. Not saying that they will be spectacular, even better then the Womack trade, but I do think the roster will look different by opening day. Who knows maybe even a long term deal for Dunn.

How in the world can Mark Sheldon rate the moves made so far a 4 on a scale of 1-10?
    Easy to dance to and the words are memorable?

I think a '1' would have been "completely destroyed the franchise", and a '2' is "moves will cause the Reds to lose for the next 10 years"

So, I'm thinking a '4' isn't really a good thing.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Expect O'Brien to explore the thin free agent market in the coming weeks to land another front-line starter. If not, more trades could be coming.
    Another? When has he landed the first?
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Another? When has he landed the first?

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...+milton+signed
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Jim Coombs is getting very frustrated with the Dan O'Brien regime - I wouldn't be surprised if he demanded a trade pretty soon.

And there is no way the Reds get equal talent back in return.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Jim Coombs is getting very frustrated with the Dan O'Brien regime - I wouldn't be surprised if he demanded a trade pretty soon.

And there is no way the Reds get equal talent back in return.
    This Coombs fellow has the hype of Hulk Hogan, the brain of Terrel Owens and the talent of Rich Aurilia. Let him go...

This is nothing more than a bore bore article. Of course there will be changes coming..........duh!!!!

You people over-do the O'brien part. He is the middle man. It is the upper management and who they bring in in those roles that counts. That is the first fly to drop.

You people over-do the O'brien part.
    And you ignore it too much, your transition scenario has taken 2 years and wasted cash and resources, mostly because O"Brien approaches the job like a man looking for turnips in a mine field. You may want to focus on the upper managment only, but meanwhile O'Brien is serving up Haggis and calling it Prime Rib.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    And you ignore it too much, your transition scenario has taken 2 years and wasted cash and resources, mostly because O"Brien approaches the job like a man looking for turnips in a mine field. You may want to focus on the upper managment only, but meanwhile O'Brien is serving up Haggis and calling it Prime Rib.
    Nope. Upper management is the area who will hire in the people to bring in the groceries. They are the most important objectives at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Nope. Upper management is the area who will hire in the people to bring in the groceries. They are the most important objectives at this time.
    What good are groceries if you spend each winter eating turnips and rubbing the stump where your leg used to be?

Well, when guys like Mulder and Hudson were on the trading block last year. Dan O'Brein was signing guys like Rich Aurilla and Joe Randa. That is your problem right there....resource distribution is all jacked up....

Turn Off Ads?