Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened in Major League Baseball the year you were born?

What happened in Major League Baseball the year you were born?

I thought this might be kind of fun...I dunno, something else to do rather than speculate on the new ownership group or fantasy trade scenarios.

I was born in 1977. The New York Yankees won the World Series, beating the Los Angeles Dodgers in six games. Game 6 was the one were Reggie Jackson hit three homeruns.

George Foster was the National League MVP and Rod Carew won it in the American League.

The Cy Young Awards went to Steve Carlton of the Phillies and Sparky Lyle of the Yankees.

Andre Dawson was the National League Rookie of the Year, and Eddie Murray the American League Rookie of the Year.

Ernie Banks, Martin Dihigo, Pop Lloyd, Al Lopez, Amos Rusie and Joe Sewell were all inducted into the Hall of Fame.

The Reds went 88-74 in 1977, good for second place in the National League West. This was the year that they traded for Tom Seaver.

The Toronto Blue Jays and Seattle Mariners came into the league as expansion teams.

Brooks Robinson, Gary Nolan, Cookie Rojas and Tommy Helms all retired from the game.

The Chicago White Sox selected Harold Baines with the number one pick in the draft.

The average major league salary was $76,066 and the league's minimum salary that year was $19,000.

Tom Hume, Mario Soto, Eddie Murray, Bo Diaz, Jack Morris, Lance Parrish, Alan Trammell, Lou Whitaker, Clint Hurdle and Jim Clancy all made their major league debuts.

On my birthday, April 7, 1977:

The Mets beat the Cubs 5-3 in Chicago. Tom Seaver was the winning pitcher, going 7 innings, allowing 9 hits and 3 runs with 7 strikeouts. Ray Burris took the loss, allowing 4 hits and 4 runs over 5 1/3 innings. Steve Ontiveros hit a homerun for the Cubs in a losing effort. Skip Lockwood got the save for the Mets.

The Dodgers beat the Giants 5-1 at home. Don Sutton pitched a complete game to get the win, with John Montefusco giving up 3 runs, 2 earned, over six innings for San Francisco to absorb the loss. Gary Thomasson hit a homerun for the Giants in the loss.

The Cardinals abused the Pirates in front of the Pittsburgh fans, 12-6. John Denny got the win for the Cardinals with Jerry Reuss taking the loss for the Pirates. Keith Hernandez hit a homerun for the Cardinals, and Duffy Dyer knocked one out for the Pirates.

The Rangers beat the Orioles 2-1 at Baltimore. Bert Blyleven and Jim Palmer eached went the distance, pitching 10 innings with Blyleven coming out victorious over Palmer. Blyleven struck out eight Orioles, one of which was designated hitter Eddie Murray making his major league debut.

The Indians beat the Red Sox 5-4 in 11 innings at Fenway Park. Dennis Eckersley started the game for Cleveland, going nine innings and striking out nine, while surrendering four earned runs, but it was Dave LaRoche who pitched two innings in relief to pick up the win. Bill Campbell suffered the loss in relief, giving up three runs in 3 1/3 innings. Ferguson Jenkins started for Boston and allowed two runs, one earned over 7 2/3 innings. Buddy Bell hit a homerun for Cleveland, while Bernie Carbo and Dwight Evans went deep for Boston.

The Royals defeated the Tigers 7-4 at Tiger Stadium. Paul Splittorff picked up the win with Mark Littell getting the save. Dave Roberts suffered the loss. Amos Otis and John Mayberry went deep for K.C.

The Yankees shut out the Brewers 3-0 at Yankee Stadium behind Catfish Hunter, with Sparky Lyle picking up the save. Bill Travers took the loss for Milwaukee. Jim Wynn hit a homerun for New York in the game.

The California Angels shut out the Seattle Mariners 2-0 in Seattle with Nolan Ryan pitching the complete game victory for the Angels. Enrique Romo struck out 9 Angels in 7 innings, allowing 2 runs in his major league debut to take the loss. Bobby Grich homered for California.

The Toronto Blue Jays, playing in their first ever game, beat the Chicago White Sox 9-5 at Exhibition Stadium. Jerry Johnson got the win in relief of Bill Singer with Pete Vuckovich getting the save. Ken Brett took the loss, giving up 5 runs in 3 innings. Richie Zisk went deep for Chicago, while Doug Ault knocked two out and Al Woods, pinch hitting in his major league debut, hit a two run shot out for the Blue Jays.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Re: What happened in Major League Baseball the year you were born?

Friday, May 23, 1969

Reds:
    Friday, May 23 » Defeated Expos (11-25), 4-3 Crosley Field (9-7) 18-19 Won 3 » W: Clay Carroll (4-3) L: Dan McGinn (2-2)

For the year: 89-73, Third place in NL West

MLB News:
    Mickey Lolich sets a Detroit record with 16 strikeouts while defeating Andy Messersmith and the Angels 6–3. Mickey Stanley's grand slam is the difference. Lolich's mark breaks the record of 15 set by Paul Foytack in 1956.
    Pittsburgh's rookie 1B Al Oliver ties the major-league record with three errors in one inning, and the Bucs lose 3–0 at San Francisco.

On the Charts:
    MAY 16 - MAY 23, 1969 TW
    1 LOVE (CAN MAKE YOU HAPPY) Mercy
    2 GET BACK The Beatles
    3 THESE EYES The Guess Who ?
    4 ATLANTIS Donovan
    5 MORE TODAY THAN YESTERDAY Spiral Staircase
    6 GRAZIN IN THE GRASS The Friends of Distinction
    7 AQUARIUS / LET THE SUNSHINE IN The Fifth Dimension
    8 MEDICINE MAN The Buchanan Brothers
    9 SORRY SUZANNE The Hollies
    10 NOTHIN BUT A HEARTACHE The Flirtations

Nice idea for a thread.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

I can't remember.

January 30, 1961

Four days before I was born, on January 26, 1961, Joe Nuxhall was traded to the Kansas City A's for John Tsitouris and John Briggs. It was the only year of Joe's career that he did not wear a Reds uniform, and ironically, was the year that the Reds went to the World Series.

Powell Crosley died on March 28, 1961.

Reds trade Claude Osteen to the Senators for Dave Sisler. An awful trade.

Joey Jay wins 21 games

Reds clinch the NL crown on September 26, 1961.

Reds lose to the Yankees in the World Series, 4 games to 1, on October 9, 1961.

Frank Robinson wins the NL most valuable player award on November 22, 1961.

The one thing I know what happened is that Pete Rose got his first major league hit. On the day I was born,April 13th!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

1973. I believe that was the year of the Rose - Harrelson fight at 2B in the NLCS.

Reds trade Claude Osteen to the Senators for Dave Sisler. An awful trade.
    Claude and Dave Skaugstad both came up in 1957 at the age of 17, aside from Nuxhall they were the youngest Reds ever. Osteen was intimdated by Ed Bailey who bullied Osteen when he was on the mound, because of this Osteen never felt comfortable on the mound in Cincinnati. The Senators later flipped Osteen for Frank Howard making the move to obtain Sisler look even worse 4 years later.

I was born in 1955. As any Brooklyn Dodger fan can tell you, the Brooklyn Dodgers won their first and only World Series in 1955, with Johnny Podres shutting out the Yankees in game seven.
    1955 MVPs were officially Roy Campanella (NL) and Yogi Berra (AL), but Mickey Mantle and Duke Snider should've won the MVP awards.
    Willie Mays hit 51 HRs to lead the majors, while Mantle paced the AL with 37.
    1955 batting champions were Richie Ashburn (NL) and Al Kaline (AL), with Kaline becoming the youngest batting champion ever at age 20.
    Ted Kluszewski hit 47 HRs for the Reds. Wally Post had 40 HRs and the combined total of 87 HRs between Klu and Post set a Reds duo record.
    1955 was Sandy Koufax's rookie season.
    Ted Williams hit .356 but didn't have enough official at bats to qualify for the AL batting title.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

81...strike year.

Nice.
    Go Gators!

Nothing. Baseball wasn't invented yet.

Rem

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

9/20/76

Kevin Walker was also born on this day.

It was a Monday, light schedule, only 4 games on tap.

The next night the Reds clinched the NL West with a 9-1 "pasting" of the Dodgers.

The Reds became the first team to ever sweep both the LCS, and WS.

15Jan

Rance Mulliniks and Jerry Narron were born. (same year as me)

1967 Super Bowl I: Green Bay Packers-35, KC Chiefs-10 in LA
    1942 Cubs, drop plans to install lights at Wrigley due to WWII
    1957 Brooklyn Dodgers sign a new 3 year lease for Ebbets Field
    1958 New York Yankees sign million dollar plus deal to show 140 games on WPIX TV
    1961 Supremes signed with Motown Records
    1964 Baseball agrees to hold a free-agent draft in New York City NY
    1970 Milwaukee Brewers make their 1st trade (with Oakland A's)
    1977 Coneheads debut on "Saturday Night Live"
    1981 Bob Gibson elected to Baseball's Hall of Fame
    1989 Big John Studd wins WWF's 1st Royal Rumble
    Late 20th Century - Boss and GIK were born
    Last edited by creek14; 01-04-2006 at 07:13 AM.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Hank broke the record.

'Nuff said.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

july 15 1953
    The Yankees won their 5th straight WS beating the Brooklyn Dodgers.
    RogersHornsby was the Mgr of the Reds but was replaced by Buster Mills the last week of the season as the Reds went 68-86.
    Ted Kluzewski Hit 40 Hrs to become the 1st ever Red to hit the 40 mark.
    Robin Roberts started 41 games and completed 33 pitching 347 innings and posted an ERA of 2.75 for the Phillies going 23-16.I wonder how many of todays pitchers could pitch that many innings?
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

No wonder I have always been a Reds fan, eh? btw, they beat the hated Cubbies 8-4 at Riverfront on the day I was born

Turn Off Ads?