Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Did Notre Dame as an opponent make the Fiesta Bowl more interesting?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 83.33%
  • No

4 16.67%

Thread: tOSU Football Poll

tOSU Football Poll

As I was driving home last night listening to the tOSU-ND game, the announcers made a comment about how this was tOSU's 3rd Fiesta Bowl in 4 years (or something like that). Sometimes college football fans get bored with going to the same bowl game in the span of a short period of time - especially when there really isn't much on the line for the game. But tOSU fans seemed pretty jazzed about this game. My question to you is did Notre Dame as an opponent make you more interested in this game than if the opponent was someone like Oregon?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: tOSU Football Poll

Absolutely.

It made it even better that Charlie Weis thought they should be the favorites. Why? Because they beat Navy?

Notre Dame looked pretty slow compared to Ohio State. I would expect Weis to fix that pretty quickly.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I said "Yes". He may or may not be that way in "real life", but Weis' "air of superiority was really rubbing me the wrong way leading up to the game. Of course anytime you have an opportunity to play and beat and team with such a respected history, then it does add a little extra fuel to the fire. It seems to mean more in the eyes of some people if you beat a Notre Dame compared to a school like Oregon.

Every football game means a lot to me as a Buckeye, especially a bowl game. There is a lot more to it IMO than just winning the national championship. Of course that is the ultimate goal, but realistically even the best teams are not in the position to play for a championship every year. There can be some hot streaks or mini-dynasties with 2 or 3 year windows, but at some point someone will trip up early despite being an extremely good team. But that does not mean all is lost. The challenge, thrill, and enjoyment of a game like yesterday's is very real and very large, because for most of these kids football is not a job and many of them just played their last football game. It's why I like college football so much. I don't look at any game as meaningless.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I voted no for purely selfish reasons, I like games with at least 1 team I can root for
    Go Gators!

I felt like Oregon and especially Florida St did not belong in the BCS bowl games, Ohio State would have really embarrassed Oregon worse than Oklahoma did. Notre Dame with it's huge following and tradition made the bowl better even though their schedule helped inflate their record. I would have rather seen Ohio St replay Penn, or have a shot at USC or even Texas again but of course that was not going to happen.

I guess we better take what the god's gave us and be happy, I am not so sure that Ohio St could handle the multi-talented offense of USC.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Playing ND absolutely made the Fiesta Bowl more exciting. If Texas weren't on the schedule next year, I would have been more excited for the team to get another shot at them, with the Buckeyes now-fully-functional offense.

There aren't many other opponents I would have liked to see face the Bucks in a bowl. Although this was a down year in the SEC, so it might have been fun for the Buckeyes to get a shot at LSU or one of that conference's other breathlessly-hyped teams. Needless to say, I liked how Wisconsin dismantled Auburn in the Capital One bowl. VA Tech would have been interesting, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    As I was driving home last night listening to the tOSU-ND game, the announcers made a comment about how this was tOSU's 3rd Fiesta Bowl in 4 years (or something like that). Sometimes college football fans get bored with going to the same bowl game in the span of a short period of time - especially when there really isn't much on the line for the game. But tOSU fans seemed pretty jazzed about this game. My question to you is did Notre Dame as an opponent make you more interested in this game than if the opponent was someone like Oregon?
    Looking at what happened to Oregon..... No.

A OSU-ND matchup, looking at both of these schools history and tradition, was alot better draw from the standpoint of hype, drawing power, and bottomline.... making M-O-N-E-Y for the networks, schools, and local economy (Tempe).
    Last edited by GAC; 01-03-2006 at 08:23 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Yes! creek is with me
    Go Gators!

Only if they'd have beaten the Bucs by forty.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Yes! creek is with me
    I'd watch the Buckeye's play anyone. I don't need no stinkin over-hyped little green Irish men to make it exciting.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Turn Off Ads?