Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rich Aurillia Likely To Return To Reds

Zoinks!

Rich Aurillia Likely To Return To Reds

Did anyone else see the artical that says Rich is likely to be signed by the Sunday deadline?

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...40397/-1/CINCI

Rich Aurilia apparently will return to the Reds after all.

Aurilia's agent, Barry Axelrod, sounded optimistic Tuesday.

"I think the Reds are our most viable alternative," Axelrod said. "We've talked to some other clubs, but those have been contingent discussions."

The sides have a Sunday deadline hanging over them. If they can't work out a deal by then, Aurilia can't re-sign with the Reds until May 1.

"Both sides are trying to get it done," Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said.

Aurilia, 34, hit .282 with 14 home runs and 68 RBI in 114 games with the Reds last season. He led the club with a .343 average with runners in scoring position.

Both sides declined to exercise the option on Aurilia's contract. The Reds then offered Aurilia arbitration. He refused it Dec. 19, thereby extending to Jan. 8 the deadline to sign him

Aurilia's defensive flexibility - he can play shortstop, second base or third base - would give the Reds many options.

Aurilia's role is his main concern, and he has talked to Reds manager Jerry Narron about that.

"Jerry has talked to Rich," O'Brien said. "I don't want to speak for Jerry, but he outlined the way he intends to use the roster. It was a good conversation."

Aurilia would add to the crowd at second base. Ryan Freel and Tony Womack are already set to compete for time there.

But Aurilia also gives the Reds insurance at third. Edwin Encarnacion, 22, is slated to start there. If Encarnacion were to struggle, Aurilia could take over.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rich Aurillia

As long as the salary is resonable I like it. I surely don't want Tony Womack in the lineup everyday and Ryan Freel is better suited for the "super-sub" role.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Not only do i like it but i hope he starts everyday as long as it isn't at shortstop anywhere else in the infield is ok with me. He was one of the most productuive players per at bat in the starting lineup and you got to love the guys confidence he thinks he should play or be giving a chance to regardless of whos at the position.I hope this is no rumor but fact. Now lets here some info. on another starter acquired.GO CINCY!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by REDJAKE
    Not only do i like it but i hope he starts everyday as long as it isn't at shortstop anywhere else in the infield is ok with me. He was one of the most productuive players per at bat in the starting lineup and you got to love the guys confidence he thinks he should play or be giving a chance to regardless of whos at the position.I hope this is no rumor but fact. Now lets here some info. on another starter acquired.GO CINCY!!!!!
    You'd like to see him starting at 3B over EE? By the way, he was only productive offensively at GAB last year. He was horrid on the road.

your 2006 Reds opening day lineup:

2B Tony Womack
    SS Felipe Lopez
    CF Ken Griffey, Jr
    1B Adam Dunn
    3B Rich Aurilia
    RF Austin Kearns
    LF Wily Mo Pena
    C Jason LaRue

and with that defense, a pitching staff that might end up surrendering a 1000 runs.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord

2B Tony Womack
    SS Felipe Lopez
    CF Ken Griffey, Jr
    1B Adam Dunn
    3B Rich Aurilia
    RF Austin Kearns
    LF Wily Mo Pena
    C Jason LaRue

and with that defense, a pitching staff that might end up surrendering a 1000 runs.
    That's got to be the worst defensive lineup in baseball.

He was one of the most productuive players per at bat in the starting lineup
    He's the strawberry side in the Neapolitan ice cream; old and sticky and only looks good without the chocolate and the vanilla next to it.

I'd rather have a muffin.

2B Tony Womack
    SS Felipe Lopez
    CF Ken Griffey, Jr
    1B Adam Dunn
    3B Rich Aurilia
    RF Austin Kearns
    LF Wily Mo Pena
    C Jason LaRue

Or, if this "allows" Kearns to be dealt then you have this

Womack 2B
    Aurilia 1B
    Griffey CF
    Dunn LF
    Lopez SS
    Pena RF
    LaRue C
    Encarnacion 3B
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I think this development shows that RA thinks much more of himself than the rest of baseball. This also may indicate why he couldn't be dumped for a prospect last July.

I hope they don't sign him by the weekend. No matter how much offense he can provide, I just don't believe he is a good fit with this team. By offering him arbitration and making a team give up a draft pick for him, O'Brien made it tough for someone to take him off our hands.

DanO if you are reading this, just say no!

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Or, if this "allows" Kearns to be dealt then you have this

Womack 2B
    Aurilia 1B
    Griffey CF
    Dunn LF
    Lopez SS
    Pena RF
    LaRue C
    Encarnacion 3B
    That might be the most ineffective #1-2 punch that baseball has seen for quite some time. But their knowledge of "how to win" will make them intellectually far superior to the other teams. Remember, according to the Reds, games are won and lost in your minds and in the clubhouse, not on the field.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I think this is a major mistake...UNLESS, he plays 3rd base. Move Encarnacion to 2nd base, he has very good range (played SS in minors and below), but his major problem is throwing across the diamond. He does have a very strong arm, but that does not do you any good if it is off line.

I would not mind this happening, I think there is ZERO chance, because that is just thinking out side the box (something the Reds don't do).

If he is going to play 2nd base, I would cringe. I would rather have a good defensive 2B in there in Womack than Aurilia, who might get a step or two before the ball is by him. Defense is being over looked by this management over and over again.

Womack and Aurilia are almost the same defender at second. Aurilia has a better arm though.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    That might be the most ineffective #1-2 punch that baseball has seen for quite some time. But their knowledge of "how to win" will make them intellectually far superior to the other teams. Remember, according to the Reds, games are won and lost in your minds and in the clubhouse, not on the field.
    Two words - - professional at-bats.

Two words from me - - I loathe the hiring of Dan O'Brien and all his fruit from the poisonous tree©.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I think this is a major mistake...UNLESS, he plays 3rd base. Move Encarnacion to 2nd base, he has very good range (played SS in minors and below), but his major problem is throwing across the diamond. He does have a very strong arm, but that does not do you any good if it is off line.

I would not mind this happening, I think there is ZERO chance, because that is just thinking out side the box (something the Reds don't do).

If he is going to play 2nd base, I would cringe. I would rather have a good defensive 2B in there in Womack than Aurilia, who might get a step or two before the ball is by him. Defense is being over looked by this management over and over again.
    I'm going to bang my point over and over - LET THE KID PLAY 3RD BASE. We need to find out if he's going to be the next Mike Schmidt or Kelly Paris. Or somebody in between.

We need Rich Aurilia like DanO needs an Office Depot account to buy more binders.

Aves - I appreciate your thoughts - but if Tony Womack is the defensive answer at 2B, I don't want to know the question.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Womack and Aurilia are almost the same defender at second. Aurilia has a better arm though.
    RA is much better at turning the DP.

I have no problem with RA coming back in a untility role who gets 2-3 starts a week. The problem I have is that the Reds spent players and money to acquire a piece of dung that they are likely to play at the expense of younger guys(Olmedo, Bergolla) who at least have some upside and far superior defense. BTW, Olmedo is out of options and will be lost if the Reds sign RA because he would have no spot on the roster unless the Reds plan to trade Freel.

Turn Off Ads?