Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Marquis Grissom agrees to minor league deal with Cubs

Marquis Grissom agrees to minor league deal with Cubs

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

CHICAGO (AP) -- Marquis Grissom agreed Tuesday to a minor league contract with the Chicago Cubs, and the 38-year-old outfielder will compete during spring training for a roster spot.

Infielder Augie Ojeda, who saw limited playing time with the Cubs from 2000-2003, and outfielder Mike Restovich also agreed to minor league deals.

Grissom, a veteran of 17 major league seasons, spent the last three years with the San Francisco Giants. A third-round draft pick of Montreal in 1988, Grissom also has played with the Expos, Braves, Indians, Brewers and Dodgers.

He has a batting average of .272 with 227 homers, 967 RBIs and 429 stolen bases in 2,165 major league games. He was limited to 44 games last season with the Giants while battling a hamstring injury and hit just .212 with two homers and 15 RBIs.

Grissom will try to make an outfield that currently includes offseason acquisitions Juan Pierre and Jacque Jones, holdovers Matt Murton, Jerry Hairston and Corey Patterson and rookie Felix Pie.

The 31-year-old Ojeda has batted .219 in 178 big league games for the Cubs and Twins. He spent last season with Triple-A Rochester in the Orioles' organization.

Restovich, 27, has seen major league action over the past five seasons, including 52 games with the Pirates and 14 for the Rockies last season.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Re: Marquis Grissom agrees to minor league deal with Cubs

The Flubs are stockpiling OF'ers like the Reds are IF'ers.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

He's only 38? Or is that in dog years?
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Dusty sure loves his vets.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

To put this signing in perspective, he was the last card I needed to complete a full set of Topps baseball cards in 1990.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    The Flubs are stockpiling OF'ers like the Reds are IF'ers.
    They want to fight us and the Pirates for last..it's gonna be a heck of a battle.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    They want to fight us and the Pirates for last..it's gonna be a heck of a battle.
    Right now, I'd say the NL Central could be shaping up to be the ugliest worst division in baseball this coming season, and any team has a chance to win it...even with a sub-.500 record.

The Cardinals' lineup is aging, and the Astros will probably not have Roger Clemens...their best pitcher last year. That Houston lineup is also old. If I was a betting man, I'd pick Milwaukee as the dark horse winner of the NL Central this year.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

I was debating "who is the worse player/signing-Grissom or Tony Womack" with a Cubs fan who works near me. We quickly realized that we both lost
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed
    I was debating "who is the worse player/signing-Grissom or Tony Womack" with a Cubs fan who works near me. We quickly realized that we both lost
    Grissom is on a minor league deal. Womack is actually getting paid $1M. I'd say that makes Womack a worse signing.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    Grissom is on a minor league deal. Womack is actually getting paid $1M. I'd say that makes Womack a worse signing.
    agreed-I should have put a smiley there
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Turn Off Ads?