Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bret Boone signs with the Mets

Bret Boone signs with the Mets

According to rotoworld:

According to WFAN, Bret Boone has signed a minor league deal with the New York Mets.
    Kaz Matsui has been difficult to move this offseason, but Boone should be given every chance to compete with him this spring for the starting job. Chris Woodward is also in the mix, with Jeff Keppinger and Anderson Hernandez expected to serve as the double-play combination at Triple-A Norfolk.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Bret Boone signs with the Mets

Seems like the closest thing to a worst-case scenario for Bret if he doesn't perform well, which seems like a strong possibility. There's nothing like the NYC media to amplify one's failures and speculate wildly about the reasons.

You should have seen the quote attributed to Omar Minaya on Sportsline. It was along the lines that "history would show that Bret is past it but on a minor league contract I figured what is there to lose".

got alil captain in u?

he has to be better than kaz matsui for crying outloud i kno he's old but still

Boone the other white meat, stick a fork in him he's done. No steroids = no offense. He's still an ok glove.

Personally, I'd rather have Bret Boone than Tony Womack. With Boone and Jose Uribe as the DP combo, the Mets middle infield defense will br very strong. Theie offense with Delgado, Wright, Beltran, and Floyd is plenty good enough to carry a Bret Boone in the lineup if he can get back to even 10-12 HR and a .260 average. I think he can.

Stick a fork in him.

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23
    Personally, I'd rather have Bret Boone than Tony Womack. With Boone and Jose Uribe as the DP combo, the Mets middle infield defense will br very strong. Theie offense with Delgado, Wright, Beltran, and Floyd is plenty good enough to carry a Bret Boone in the lineup if he can get back to even 10-12 HR and a .260 average. I think he can.
    You mean Jose Reyes? and yes that would be a very nice DP combo

Quote Originally Posted by danken12
    You mean Jose Reyes? and yes that would be a very nice DP combo
    Had me wondering if Jose Uribe was still alive. I thought perhaps he and Warren Cromartie would be returning from Japan or something...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Word is the Mets will pay 5+ million of Matsui's 06 salary to move him.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Had me wondering if Jose Uribe was still alive. I thought perhaps he and Warren Cromartie would be returning from Japan or something...
    That was an interesting Freudian slip! I must have flashed back to the 1980's and the days of sub .300 OBP middle infielders!

Quote Originally Posted by larryboy
    Boone the other white meat, stick a fork in him he's done. No steroids = no offense. He's still an ok glove.
    2001: 37 hrs, 141 RBI's = All juiced up! Did anybody see him during this season? he looked like a miniature Hulk...it was nuts
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Is it just me or is Bret Boone the consummate Met? He strikes me as being born to be a Met. Bret Boone starring in: "A Met Too Late."
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Word is the Mets will pay 5+ million of Matsui's 06 salary to move him.
    I'd rather have Matsui for 2M than Aurillia for 2M.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster
    2001: 37 hrs, 141 RBI's = All juiced up! Did anybody see him during this season? he looked like a miniature Hulk...it was nuts
    No kidding, he gave credit to his "offseason workouts" for that season, yet, quite amazingly, didn't return to those same workouts after that breakout season.

GL

Turn Off Ads?