Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puerto Rico May Bow Out of World Classic

Re: Puerto Rico May Bow Out of World Classic

Personally, I think the U.S. should back put unless Elbonia participates.
    Makes all the routine posts.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The sad thing about this is it allows Cuba to take the high ground. I still say that letting them in and destroying them at their national sport is the way to go. Compete and win, that's capitalism at work baby.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    The sad thing about this is it allows Cuba to take the high ground. I still say that letting them in and destroying them at their national sport is the way to go. Compete and win, that's capitalism at work baby.
    Exactly.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

http://articles.news.aol.com/sports/...990013&cid=561

TOKYO (Jan. 11) - Hall of Fame manager Tommy Lasorda thinks Cuba will be allowed to play in the inaugural World Baseball Classic, and also expressed his disappointment that Japanese major league stars Hideki Matsui and Tadahito Iguchi have decided to sit out the tournament.

The U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control in mid-December denied the request for a license to allow Cuba to participate. The license is necessary because of U.S. laws governing certain commercial transactions with the Fidel Castro-controlled nation.

Major League Baseball reapplied on Dec. 22 after Cuba said it would donate any money it earned from its participation to victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Lasorda, who led the United States to the 2000 Olympic gold medal at Sydney and is an Ambassador at Large for the event, was in Tokyo on Wednesday to promote the 16-nation, World Cup-style tournament that will be staged in March.

"I think they (the Treasury Department) are just trying to stop Cuba from making money because of sanctions," Lasorda said at the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Japan. "Because they have offered to give their earnings to the victims of Katrina I think they will be allowed to play."

The World Baseball Classic will feature top professionals from the major leagues. Ichiro Suzuki of the Seattle Mariners has agreed to play but Hideki Matsui of the New York Yankees and Tadahito Iguchi of the Chicago White Sox have said they won't join the Japan squad, citing commitments to their teams.

"I know (Matsui) is a tremendous guy but I'm disappointed that he and Iguchi won't be representing their country," said Lasorda. "You've got to be patriotic for your country and I'd like to see Matsui play. He's a great player and the Japanese team needs him."

Lasorda also said that he was upset that baseball was taken off the Olympic program. In July, the IOC voted to drop baseball and softball after the Beijing Games, leaving 26 sports on the program for London. Baseball and softball are pushing for a new vote in a bid for reinstatement in February.

"I'm disappointed, dejected and depressed that they would take baseball off the Olympic program," added Lasorda. "When we played in Sydney the stadium was packed. Baseball belongs in the Olympics more than some of those other sports like archery and tiddly winks."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?