Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Why not interested in?

Why not interested in?

Why were the Reds not interested in Ryan Franklin or Brandon Duckworth?
    Could they be interested in Josh Fogg or maybe Kevin Brown?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why not interested in?

None of those pitchers constitutes an upgrade, even for the Reds. Duckworth has gotten consistently worse since leaving the Phillies (11.02 ERA in '05; 6.86 ERA in '04). Franklin had a high ERA (5.10) and high HR total in Seattle. Just imagine his numbers in GABP. I don't have much faith in either Fogg or Brown. Age and injuries have caught up with Brown. Fogg has never had great numbers, and he pitched like a Reds starter last year (5.05 ERA, 27 HR). I'd take a minor league deal flyer on Fogg, but I'm guessing he wouldn't take it. As for Brown, I just think he should retire.
    Last edited by Henry Clay; 01-06-2006 at 12:03 AM.

Well, here's a question....What about Kaz Ishii?

The last two seasons he has pitched haven't been great, but still. He's a decent pitcher, nonetheless, and in my opinion he would be an upgrade to the rotation.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Ishii is a walk machine...49 in 91IP in 05, 98 in 172 IP in 04 and a whopping 101 in 147 IP in 03 and 106 in 154 IP in 02.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    Ishii is a walk machine...49 in 91IP in 05, 98 in 172 IP in 04 and a whopping 101 in 147 IP in 03 and 106 in 154 IP in 02.
    It's my understanding that he signed with a team in Japan (not that I'd want him here, anyway). At least that was the talk that I'd heard here when the Mets let him go. I never saw anything in print to confirm it.

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG
    Why were the Reds not interested in Ryan Franklin or Brandon Duckworth?
    Could they be interested in Josh Fogg or maybe Kevin Brown?
    Because we already have a surplus of mediocrity. Kevin Brown is the only one that could possible be better then guys we have now, but after his act last year in NY, I would guess that his career is over.

note that most of the pitchers available are fly-ball pitchers.....
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Ryan Franklin was aweful in a pitcher's park and was on steroids to boot. Steroid free and at GABP, he would make Milton look like a CY Young winner. He's also the wrongside of 30.
    Plus he signed yesterday with the Phillies. He should have an era well above 5.00

We don't need more 5.00ish ERA starters. Brownie is the only one who is really a step up talent wise and he's 3 years removed from his last above average year. Furthermore, he's 41 and has serious health issues.

As you try and go through names available as pitching upgrades you quickly realise why pitching has become so expensive the past few years.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Well, Franklin sucks. Even worse than Ramon Ortiz. Chuck-and-duck city, only without the grooming expertise.

Duckworth I would have been interested in, as he's a clear case of Standridgeitis where he's got good basic stuff but is miscast as a starter due to the lack of any sort of offspeed ability.

Franklin signed with the Phillies; Duckworth signed a minor league deal with the Pirates.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I'd have been interested in either of these guys for minor league deals, but the $2.6 million that the Phillies threw at Franklin borders on malpractice.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?