Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Narron, coaches prepare for spring (1/10)

Narron, coaches prepare for spring (1/10)

01/10/2006 4:31 PM ET
    Narron, coaches prepare for spring
    Skipper meets with staff, fields questions about 2006
    By Jeff Wallner / Special to MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- It didn't feel much like baseball season around Great American Ball Park on Tuesday with rainy and cool conditions outside.
    But, deep inside the ballpark, Reds manager Jerry Narron and his coaching staff were involved in a series of brainstorming sessions in preparation for Spring Training.

"In these meetings, we're going over everyone who is on our 40-man roster and the invitees," said Narron. "We're going over what we want to accomplish in Spring Training. We want to make sure everyone is on the same page."

Narron, who led the Reds to a 46-46 finish last season after taking over for Dave Miley, took a break from his meetings to field questions from the local media about what to expect from the 2006 Reds.

Most of the queries dealt with the logjam in the infield created by the re-signing of Rich Aurilia and the acquisition of Tony Womack.

"Any time you have multiple-position guys, it's a big help," said Narron. "Richie did a nice job for us in a lot of different roles. We look for him to do the same thing for us this season."

Edwin Encarnacion, who hit .232 with nine home runs and 31 RBIs in his first big-league season, and versatile utilityman Ryan Freel are both back.

At this point, Narron plans to use Freel in both the outfield and at third base. Womack is the logical choice for second base.

Shortstop Felipe Lopez, who enjoyed a career year last season -- batting .291 with 23 home runs, 85 RBIs and 15 stolen bases -- will be a mainstay.

"I think Felipe will be an outstanding leader for the Reds," Narron said.

There is plenty of playing time to be dispersed among several players, but Narron believes it's a good problem to have.

"It's a luxury," he said.

Encarnacion's continued development could go a long way toward determining who plays where.

Narron said the 23-year-old will need to play well to earn a spot on the club out of Spring Training. He plans to pair Encarnacion with new Reds bench coach Bucky Dent, who was a big-league infielder for 12 seasons.

Dent, 53, spent the past three seasons managing the Yankees Triple-A affiliate Columbus Clippers.

"He's going to work with Eddie a lot in the spring," Narron said. "Bucky's outstanding. He's been around a lot of good baseball people and baseball instructors."

Pitching, as always, was a hot topic of conversation.

The stability of the Reds starting pitching staff could greatly depend on the return of right-hander Paul Wilson to the rotation. Wilson, who won 11 games for the Reds in 2004, underwent season-ending shoulder surgery on June 17 of last season.

Narron said Wilson will begin throwing off a mound in a week and expects him to be at full strength come Spring Training.

"Anyone who knows Willy, knows what kind of competitor he is," said Narron.

Wilson's return, along with continued consistency from left-hander Brandon Claussen and Aaron Harang will be a key. Left-hander Dave Williams, who was acquired from the Pirates in exchange for Sean Casey, will factor in the rotation as well.

Narron said Casey will be missed next month when Spring Training opens.

"He was a man of character," he said. "My big thing is that he's not here, and other guys are going to have to step up and take on that leadership role."

Narron said he wished Casey hadn't been traded to the Pirates, who are an improving ballclub in an already formidable division.

"I think our division is going to be among the toughest in baseball," said Narron. "Every club in our division is either improved or had an outstanding club to begin with."

The Reds preached "doing the little things right" ad nauseum last season. Narron plans to put great emphasis on that philosophy in Spring Training.

"We need to work on the fundamentals," he said. "I know everybody says that, but a lot of times it's not a priority. For us to be competitive, we cannot make mental mistakes or lazy mistakes to give away ballgames. We'll get our lunch handed to us."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Re: Narron, coaches prepare for spring (1/10)

Ack.

GL

"He's going to work with Eddie a lot in the spring," Narron said. "Bucky's outstanding. He's been around a lot of good baseball people and baseball instructors."
    I've been around a lot of rich people, but that doesn't make me wealthy.

"Every club in our division is either improved or had an outstanding club to begin with."
    Except the Reds.

"We need to work on the fundamentals," he said. "I know everybody says that, but a lot of times it's not a priority. For us to be competitive, we cannot make mental mistakes or lazy mistakes to give away ballgames. We'll get our lunch handed to us."
    You need to work on pitching, stupid. You already had your breakfast and supper handed to you, you might as well take back your lunch as well.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

It isn't lack of speed or hit and runs or lots of K's that make us bad.
    Go Gators!

Here we go again.

Edwin is going to have to earn his way on to the roster while Aurilia and Womack are locks.

Is there anything wrong in this picture?

Dear Mr. Narron:

1. Tony Womack should start at 2b...in Louisville.
    2. Rich Aurilia should sit on the bench next to you and pretend to be Don Zimmer to your Joe Torre.
    3. Ryan Freel should start at 2b unless Mr. Griffey is hurt or resting, then he can play 2b. When Freel is in CF, young William Bergolla should get the starts at 2b.
    4. Edwin Encarcion should start at 3b.
    The brilliance in these four common sense steps is that the Reds are better than your lame brained ideas and youth gets experience at the same time. Imagine that.

By the way, pick a fifth starter for the rotation (assuming Wilson isn't ready) and let him pitch 30 games this year as a starter. Let him (hint: Belisle) stretch it out over the course of the season and see how he does. He can't be any worse than Milton or Ortiz was last year.

Your friend,

CentralChamps'05 (I must've been drunk when I picked my name).

Quote Originally Posted by Centralchamps05
    CentralChamps'05 (I must've been drunk when I picked my name).
    hope springs eternal.

Power of Positive Thinking Point - you got an early shot at 3005
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Who's Jeff Wallner?

How many mlb.com beat writers have we went through already?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    01/10/2006 4:31 PM ET
    At this point, Narron plans to use Freel in both the outfield and at third base. Womack is the logical choice for second base.
    If that's the logic, then "logically" Eric Milton should be our opening day starter and we should resign Danny Boy to close.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    If that's the logic, then "logically" Eric Milton should be our opening day starter and we should resign Danny Boy to close.
    There has been some sort of hex that has happened to Reds Opening Day pitchers over the last few years. Wilson went down with arm problems this year, Corey Lidle was the victim the year before and he was traded JIMMAH!!!! got cut the year before. I think Joey Hamilton was the year before that and he had a poor year. So maybe having Milton pitch the opener wouldn't be such a bad thing after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?