Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flight 93 Trailer

University of Cincinnati

Re: Flight 93 Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    How is that possible, though? We already have the transcripts of the cell phone calls from inside the cabin and we already have the transcripts of the cockpit voice recorder. We already "know" everything we can possibly know about what happened in that plane. Everything else is conjecture.

For example, how many passengers will be portrayed as bumrushing the cockpit? Any number larger than three is pure conjecture. Will they be portrayed as succesfully gaining access to the cockpit? Because the voice recorder suggests they didn't get in. What role will the surviving stewardess have in the attempt to retake the plane? Any role at all will be pure conjecture. And so on.

Viewers will "learn" as much from this as they did from "JFK."
    Well however they do it ill be there opening night to see how its done.
    THE University of Cincinnati

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

How is that possible, though? We already have the transcripts of the cell phone calls from inside the cabin and we already have the transcripts of the cockpit voice recorder. We already "know" everything we can possibly know about what happened in that plane. Everything else is conjecture.

For example, how many passengers will be portrayed as bumrushing the cockpit? Any number larger than three is pure conjecture. Will they be portrayed as succesfully gaining access to the cockpit? Because the voice recorder suggests they didn't get in. What role will the surviving stewardess have in the attempt to retake the plane? Any role at all will be pure conjecture. And so on.

Viewers will "learn" as much from this as they did from "JFK."
    I haven't read all of those transcripts, but you and the many folks who have will be watching carefully. I'm assuming that to be vetted by the families of the victims, the movie will be faithful to the transcripts.

I would use last year's ESPN Pete Rose movie as both a good and bad example of how this project can be helpful or hurtful. That movie helped me understand Pete's complex relationship with Tommy Gioiosa in a way that I hadn't before. I've read dozens of articles about Pete's foibles in that era, but the movie made clear to me in a way no article had, how Pete betrayed Gioiosa. The movie was also reviled around these parts for its portrayal of secondary characters in the story, probably owing to the writers and producers taking shortcuts for dramatic convenience. Overall, the schlocky, contrived elements of that film are the kind of thing that leads people to mistrust Hollywood's ability to do a story like this right. I understand that.

This movie will have plenty of well-known first-hand material to draw on which should be compelling in its own right, so there should be less need for dramatic license about the things that are known. The things you cited are known. Seeing actors deliver bits of those phone conversations on camera will be compelling cinema, and it will resonate with more people in ways that reading transcripts cannot.

What isn't known are the conversations that took place away from the phones and away from the cockpit voice recorders. That will be pure conjecture. I can understand that and that's the kind of thing I would be looking for the families of the victims to vet. If the screenwriter-generated conversations are true to the people they portray and they tie the known parts of the dialogue together effectively, is it so wrong that they are conjecture?
    Last edited by Unassisted; 01-08-2006 at 10:06 PM.

When the pretty blonde baby in 12B cries and the handsome, footbally man says "let's roll," repeat to yourself, "Back, and to the left. Back and to the left."

As for the Pete Rose movie, people like Hal McCoy, who know Pete personally and who were in the clubhouse at the time said that film was an amatuer hour schlock job. That and the Tom Sizemore casting are good enough for me.
    Last edited by Redsland; 01-08-2006 at 10:24 PM.
    Makes all the routine posts.

When the pretty blonde baby in 12B cries and the handsome, footbally man says "let's roll," repeat to yourself, "Back, and to the left. Back and to the left."

As for the Pete Rose movie, people like Hal McCoy, who know Pete personally and who were in the clubhouse at the time said that film was an amatuer hour schlock job. That and the Tom Sizemore casting are good enough for me.

Exactly. This isn't about history. This is about money.

Sad, very sad.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

I do not like the idea of a movie being made about this or any of the other flights that crashed on 9-11. Unless the money made is given to a fund for the education of the victims children or an anti-terrorism fund, this does not sit well with me.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    A documentary is one thing, a movie/dramatization is another. And no one's saying they can't make the movie or shouldn't be allowed.
    What did you think of Schindler's List? Saving Private Ryan? Will you see Munich? Have you ever seen the FX series Over There? How about Band of Brothers? Drama about history can be done, and done well, but timing when to do that is tricky. Over There pulls it off quite well, and I still get uncomfortable at times watching it.

I don't have a problem with a film depicting and dramatizing a historic event, but i'd like it to become history first, and not a recent event. 9/11 is still a recent event. There were war movies in WW II, but mostly that was to promote the war effort, and rarely was an actual event made into a film until after the war.. This is cashing in on a tragedy with the victims family member, their young children still alive. It's wrong. It's too soon.
    Last edited by TRF; 01-09-2006 at 10:14 AM.
    Suck it up cupcake.

University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    What did you think of Schindler's List? Saving Private Ryan? Will you see Munich? Have you ever seen the FX series Over There? How about Band of Brothers? Drama about history can be done, and done well, but timing when to do that is tricky. Over There pulls it off quite well, and I still get uncomfortable at times watching it.

I don't have a problem with a film depicting and dramatizing a historic event, but i'd like it to become history first, and not a recent event. 9/11 is still a recent event. There were war movies in WW II, but mostly that was to promote the war effort, and rarely was an actual event made into a film until after the war.. This is cashing in on a tragedy with the victims family member, their young children still alive. It's wrong. It's too soon.
    What about platoon....it wasnt made to terribly after the war that it was about - vietnam......
    THE University of Cincinnati

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beb30
    What about platoon....it wasnt made to terribly after the war that it was about - vietnam......
    This and Saving Pvt. Ryan are movies about war. Flight 93 is not about war. It is about innocent people being murdered. War is not a good thing, but war movies have been made since movie theaters first opened. Ones like Platoon are in the fiction genre. But I tend to agree that it is not fair to those who experienced it and feel bad when seeing movies that involve Vietnam.

Schindler's List was made many years after the event. The Holocaust was (and still is to some degree) a subject that was very sensitive for many years. Some may deem this as respect for the victims and their families. It seems that time has caused people to be more open regarding the Holocaust. Time gives wounds a chance to heal. It seems to bring a bit more respect to the films that relate to horrible events.

It seems too early IMO. Unless all the parents and spouses agree to it, I think it is in bad taste relative to the families of the Flight 93 victims. Not to mention the other 2,800 or so families who also grieve b/c of 9-11... a mere 4+ years later.
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 01-10-2006 at 09:54 PM.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

How about the F/X series over there or the new film Munich, which is a bit closer to Flight 93? Should Munich have been made? I think yes, and a film about 9/11 also should be made. But it is still too soon.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?