Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Official Dan O'Brien firing count down thread!

Re: Official Dan O'Brien firing count down thread!

I'm with the folks who think the firing will be closer to the assumption of power. Castellini & Co. have been involved in baseball for a while. They have wanted to run their own team and now have the ability to run their hometown team. I can't imagine these guys will be mousy when it comes to instituting their vision. I'm guessing Castellini & Co have a type of GM in mind, if not a specific candidate to take over the team. You don't participate in various ownership groups, raise so much money, and wait months to take over your hometown team without having a firm idea about what you want and don't want in a GM. Plus, it's not like the current GM has done a great job or has a long term remaining on his contract. The meeting with Pinella tells me these guys can't wait to get in place and start playing with their new team. For better or for worse, I expect a lot of action out of the gate.

They won't do it their first day because they won't want the firing to detract from their day and the announcement. I'll give them a few days to assess things (put in air quotes) and fire O'Brien on January 25th.
    Last edited by Henry Clay; 01-06-2006 at 11:22 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Trade Deadline.

We'll be very close to being in the wild card... but not really.

The Reds annouce the firing of GM Dan O'Brien and Manager Jerry Narron.

Then that night... They annouce the signing of Sweet Lou Pinella as the new Manager.

From there... We hire Theo and Become a power house.

Okay, someone spiked my kool-aid.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

April 1, it will be posted and no one will consider it, they will think its a april fools joke........
    Let's make some noise!

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Clay
    I'm with the folks who think the firing will be closer to the assumption of power. Castellini & Co. have been involved in baseball for a while. They have wanted to run their own team and now have the ability to run their hometown team. I can't imagine these guys will be mousy when it comes to instituting their vision. I'm guessing Castellini & Co have a type of GM in mind, if not a specific candidate to take over the team. You don't participate in various ownership groups, raise so much money, and wait months to take over your hometown team without having a firm idea about what you want and don't want in a GM. Plus, it's not like the current GM has done a great job or has a long term remaining on his contract. The meeting with Pinella tells me these guys can't wait to get in place and start playing with their new team. For better or for worse, I expect a lot of action out of the gate.

They won't do it their first day because they won't want the firing to detract from their day and the announcement. I'll give them a few days to assess things (put in air quotes) and fire O'Brien on January 25th.

Please?

Actually, I'm not convinced the new owners are going to be any better than the existing owners. What is the point of giving O'Brien the boot, if they're going to turn right around and bring in another O'Brien-like stooge?

I have seen nothing written about this new ownership group that makes me think they any more progressive in their baseball philosophy than Lindner and Company. Sure, they hired this new media savy guy, but he does NOTHING to improve the product on the field or in the farm system.

What new philosophy will they bring that will cause this team to make different decisions on draft day? What will be different about scouting and development in the farm system?

I know that many are impressed with this new ownership's affiliation with St. Louis, and hope they bring that model here. But St. Louis has not had any better luck drafting and developing pitching than has Cincinnati. St. Louis is successful - not because of their farm system - but because of an inflated payroll that enables them to trade for high-priced players and dabble in the FA market. I will EXTREMELY disappointed if that is the plan here.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

Monday, January 30th, 2006. What a nice birthday present that would be for me!
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

St. Louis is successful - not because of their farm system - but because of an inflated payroll that enables them to trade for high-priced players and dabble in the FA market. I will EXTREMELY disappointed if that is the plan here.
    No, St. Louis is successful in marketing their team to their fan base, and not spending money foolishly, that's going to help the Reds a hell of a lot more than saying "We'll build through the farm system."

Inflated payroll... a result of making the right business decisions time after time.

A couple years of the Reds doing that and maybe they'd have more than the farm system to depend on.

Reality? October of 2006

Dream sequence? Yesterday.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Reality? October of 2006

Dream sequence? Yesterday.
    I concur.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

I'm going to close this topic, it seems Unassisted doesn't believe the dismissal of the Reds General Manager is an appropriate topic for Redszone.

It's a "tasteless topic that contributes negatively to the tone of the board" and "I'm no fan of DanO's work, but I don't think he deserves this public flogging".
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Turn Off Ads?