Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marcus Vick dismissed from VT Football Team

Marcus Vick dismissed from VT Football Team

RICHMOND, Va. -- The president of Virginia Tech said Friday that quarterback Marcus Vick has been permanently dismissed from the football team.

University president Charles Steger announced the dismissal on the same day that coach Frank Beamer met with Vick and his mother in their Hampton Roads home, the school said. Beamer informed them of the decision during the meeting.

The junior quarterback stomped on Elvis Dumervil's leg after the Louisville defensive end tackled Vick on Monday during the first half of the Toyota Gator Bowl.

He also faces charges of speeding and driving on a suspended driver's license, Cpl. James West said Friday. Police stopped Vick in Hampton on Dec. 17, and he was charged with driving 38 mph in a 25 mph zone, the police spokesman said.

Virginia Tech had suspended him for all of the 2004 season because of legal troubles. At the time, Steger said if Vick faced additional off-field troubles, "his Virginia Tech career is effectively ended."

Vick was not penalized for the Dumervil incident but was rebuked at halftime of the Gator Bowl by quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers, who said he even considered pulling Vick from the lineup.

Vick said later it was "an accidental play, and football is football." He also said he had apologized to Dumervil. Dumervil said no apology had been offered.

"A no-character individual," Dumervil said after the game.

Marcus Vick, eluding a Louisville defender in the Gator Bowl, stepped on the leg of another Cardinal player who tackled him in the first half.
    Vick threw two touchdown passes and led a 22-point, fourth-quarter rally for the No. 12 Hokies, who beat the No. 15 Cardinals 35-24.

Rogers, who has mentored Vick in his on-field and off-field behavior, was livid with his quarterback, chewing him out at halftime, and after the game.

"There's no reason for that in the game," Rogers said. "It's flat-out embarrassing. I don't coach that way, and I don't expect him to play that way."

The incident is the latest trouble for Vick since he elected to follow his brother, Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, to Virginia Tech. The elder Vick led the Hokies to the 1999 national championship game and was the first pick of the 2001 draft.

Marcus Vick played in 11 games as a backup in his freshman year, then was suspended from school last season after he was arrested, along with teammates Mike Imoh and Brenden Hill, for giving alcohol to 14- and 15-year-old girls. He pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge.

The younger Vick also later pleaded guilty to reckless driving and no contest to marijuana possession after a police stop in July 2004.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marcus Vick dismissed from VT Football Team

Sad when kids with that much talent flush it.
    Go Gators!

Sounds like Maurice Clarett lite.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Marcus Vick, Todd Marinovich, Maurice Clarett...the missed potential team.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I've got to admit, I was kinda suprised VT threw him off the team, although he deserved it.

He has the mindset of "My brother put this football program on the map, so I'm going to do whatever I want". I'm sure now we will be hearing a damage control apology.

I'm betting he declares for the NFL Draft and doesnt get taken. Any takers?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Mike Shanahan thought he could turn Clarett into an NFL running back and despite his poor attitude, poor work ethic at the combine, and poor physical shape, drafted him with a 3rd round pick. Some NFL coordinator or coach will undoubetdly fall into the same trap with Marcus Vick. They'll see miles of potential and will, at the very least, spend a late round pick to pick him up.

As far as Virginia Tech goes, I applaud them for making the right move and dismissing him from the team. Playing college football is a privilege, not a right.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

got alil captain in u?

yup they will u all are right major waste of talent to many head problems and to many on and off the field issuses like flicking off the crowd at wvu,stepping on dumbervil's knee that shows no class

I wonder if Drew Rosenhaus has contacted Marcus Vick to be his agent.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Frank Beamer looks like a complete tool right about now. After the bowl game, he didn't even have the stones to comment on Vick's behavior that night--much less condemn him for his actions.

Instead, it was the Virginia Tech assistant coach (I can't recall if he was the QB Coach or the Offensive Coordinator) who had to do all of the heavy lifting for the media. The assistant was the one who had to call Vick out while Beamer said nothing.

Now, Vick is gonzo and it is apparent that Beamer has lost his juice from within the athletic department. He should be ashamed of himself for trying to walk the straight and narrow on such an obvious breach of sportsmanship...
    Last edited by Blimpie; 01-07-2006 at 02:16 PM.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    I'd take that, because I think he declares and gets taken in a low round. With a small contract, the team that drafts him can afford to let him sit for a couple of years and learn how to be professional.

I'd be surprised if he ever learns to be a professional.

I bet he'll get drafted but towards the end of the draft. Someone will take a flyer on him.
    School's out. What did you expect?

School's out. What did you expect?

Chris Mortensen predicted a 4th round pick; I could buy that.

I could see him in a Raiders jersey.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?