Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indiana-Ohio State...

Re: Indiana-Ohio State...

Anyone hear the announcers give the refs crap because they called Dials last foul, but before that they didnt call one on the IU guy because it was late in the game..........
    Let's make some noise!

2. Turn Off Ads?

We had our chances. I think Terence knew that back screen was coming too - just did not do a good job making sure he did not fould getting thru it. I really liked the effort though, especially the first really tough team in a really tough venue.

I have not seen the breakdown of the minutes played, but part of me says that if Mayes had not been in so much for Butler, we would not have let so much of that 1st half lead slip away. I know Mayes is in his first year of real college ball, but it seems he has WAY too much street in his game and is just looking to jack up shots. But he must show Matta some level of control to merit the PT he does get. I t seems he can be a very good passer (and shooter sometimes) but he took very bad shots today. But Jamar does need some rest - I'll have to check how the minutes played out...
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Heck of a game. We let them back into this one. But I like what I see.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21
    Neither Butler or Xavier is a final destination type of job unless a coach just wants to stay there for a career. OSU, on the other hand, can only be topped by some of the east coast teams. I think Matta will stay unless a Duke or Carolina type job becomes available which isn't likely in the near future. I think he said earlier this was his dream job so I like our chances of keeping him. He is signed to a ridiculously long contract as it is.
    What if the Indiana job comes open after this year? The Indiana job is a much better one than Ohio State and Thad would be a great fit. Indiana is a destination job not Ohio State, I bet he would jump, he is an opprotunist.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia
    What if the Indiana job comes open after this year? The Indiana job is a much better one than Ohio State and Thad would be a great fit. Indiana is a destination job not Ohio State, I bet he would jump, he is an opprotunist.

What in the world are you talking about? Why is it a destination job? Because Bob Knight was there for while? If you asked most people, they would take Ohio State anytime. Columbus or Bloomington? OSU has more money, better facilities, more options close by outside of basketball than Bloomington.

There is a reason that two of the country's best HS players are leaving IU's backyard and coming to Ohio State. I think that says something about how a lot of people feel about IU. Indiana became great because of one man, not the school.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    What in the world are you talking about? Why is it a destination job? Because Bob Knight was there for while? If you asked most people, they would take Ohio State anytime. Columbus or Bloomington? OSU has more money, better facilities, more options close by outside of basketball than Bloomington.

There is a reason that two of the country's best HS players are leaving IU's backyard and coming to Ohio State. I think that says something about how a lot of people feel about IU. Indiana became great because of one man, not the school.
    Indiana won national titles before Bob Knight got there. There is really no way most people would choose OSU over Indiana. In football they would, but not in basketball. Indiana has 5 national titles (5th all-time), been to the final four 8 times (6th all-time), been to the NCAA tournament 32 times (5th all-time), and have 52 NCAA tournament wins, which ranks as 6th most. Not to mention complete heads up domination over every team in the Big Ten outside of Purdue.

I'm not saying Matta would leave OSU for IU, but Indiana is a destination job.

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc
    Indiana won national titles before Bob Knight got there. There is really no way most people would choose OSU over Indiana. In football they would, but not in basketball. Indiana has 5 national titles (5th all-time), been to the final four 8 times (6th all-time), been to the NCAA tournament 32 times (5th all-time), and have 52 NCAA tournament wins, which ranks as 6th most. Not to mention complete heads up domination over every team in the Big Ten outside of Purdue.

I'm not saying Matta would leave OSU for IU, but Indiana is a destination job.

Is that why Mike Davis is still there when they have wanted to fire him since the day he was hired? Obviously, no one has shown that much interest in going there, or he would be gone.

IU is a storied program, no doubt, but that doesn't mean you are a destination job. IU won't get established coaches to leave established programs just to coach there. I really don't think OSU is a destination program either, I just think it would be more appealing to most people.

If you want to talk about "Destination" jobs, there aren't many.

UCLA
    Duke
    UNC

That's probably about it.

Destination jobs really depend on the individual. Matta has midwest roots so may, despite his early trend, he is more than satisfied now that he is coaching a mojor Big Ten school with excellent facilities and full support (whether it be Ohio State, Indiana, Illinois, etc). Hard to tell if he would move beyond that if given the chance. I would seriously doubt he'd make a move from Ohio State to Indiana, and I'd also seriously doubt , if he were at Indiana, that he would leave there for Ohio State. But youneverknow. I would say that I don't think either one offeres basketball opportunities that the other does not, so then it would just come down to personal preference. That is hard for others to judge.

Looking at the minutes given to our PG's, I see Butler had 28 and Mayes had 14. Maybe it needed to be broken up that way for whatever reason, but I'd have liked to have seen less of Mayes as IU was making their run late in the 1st half. I believe I am correct in that he was in there a lot at that time (if I am not then call me wrong). Jamar continued with an excellent assist-TO ratio of 3-0 while Mayes went 0-2 and took a few horrible shots that I felt really did more harm than just a missed scoring opportunity - they disrupted the flow of our offence.

I don't mean to pin the loss on one kid - I definitely do not. Several factors, including Indiana's great shooting, had a lot to do with the final outcome of the game. This was just one small factor I thought contributed towards a losing that 17 point lead.
    Last edited by bucksfan; 01-08-2006 at 02:14 PM.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I really don't think OSU is a destination program either, I just think it would be more appealing to most people.
    But did you see that article last week which stated that Ohio State generates more revenue than any athletic program in the country? If I were a coach looking for a gig in any sport, I'd consider Ohio State to be a place where I would be rewarded handsomely if I succeed. Those other schools you listed have storied programs, but nothing correlates higher with across-the-board success in college athletics than a program with deep pockets.

Basketball is and will always be a secondary sport at OSU just like football is a secondary sport at Indiana. Indiana is a much better baketball job than OSU, 5 national titles dictates that. One big reason that Oden and Connelly (sp?) is leaving the state for OSU is because Mike Davis is not on solid ground and has been put on alert about his job and there is far more pressure on Indiana kids who go to IU. JMO ofcourse

Is that why Mike Davis is still there when they have wanted to fire him since the day he was hired? Obviously, no one has shown that much interest in going there, or he would be gone.

IU is a storied program, no doubt, but that doesn't mean you are a destination job. IU won't get established coaches to leave established programs just to coach there. I really don't think OSU is a destination program either, I just think it would be more appealing to most people.

If you want to talk about "Destination" jobs, there aren't many.

UCLA
    Duke
    UNC

That's probably about it.
    Duke wasnt a "destination job" until Coach K turned the program, the "destination jobs are imo North Carolina, Kentucky, Indiana, UCLA, Kansas, and Duke. One of the main reasons Mike Davis is still coaching at Indiana is the fact that he took them to the final game in his first full season and the atheletic department is millions in hole financially and couldnt afford to eat another contract. Plus who wants to follow a legend? Following Bob Knight at Indiana is not easy because of the way he went out, most people dont like Mike Davis just because he is not Bobby Knight.

THis was (unfortunately ) brought back to my mind by a poster over at O-zone, but did anyone recall seeing Dials jack up a 3 right at the start of one offensive possession? My gosh, I about fainted. But the thing that slays me is the announcers actually had the gall to say something to the effect of "Oh, he can step out there and make that". Based on WHAT?!?! Dials actually cannot and does not do that. Ever. And these are the guys that are supposed to be telling me about other basketball teams of whom I have far less information and knowledge.

It just goes to show me (AGAIN and AGAIN) that it is silly to trust any kind of information you get from so many of these jokers unless you really have been able to establish a pattern of reliable information coming from them. I mean, it's not as if Dials is new to the scene or anything. He is a 5th yr senior and yet they choose to say he can make 3-pointers when he has taken exactly 2 in his career including that one, and made none.

That was a big deal about nothing but I feel better now!

[QUOTE=guttle11]Is that why Mike Davis is still there when they have wanted to fire him since the day he was hired? Obviously, no one has shown that much interest in going there, or he would be gone.
    /QUOTE]

Who has wanted to fire him? Certainly many boosters but he has had almost unequivocal support from the Athletic Department until last year when he got a "be better next year" ultimatum. Of course nobody knows what that means but I digress...
    If they finish poorly and Davis is fired, I assure you the top coaching candidates will line up for the job.
    Following Bob Knight isn't easy. Following the guy who follows Bob Knight is much easier.

As for "losing all the top players," that's a bit misleading.

Vaden, Ratliff, Hardy, and Kline were all Indiana HS All-stars. Vaden I believe was Mr. Basketball.

Knight lost his share of players through the years as well.
    Eric Montross went to North Carolina, Jason Gardner went to Arizona, and then there were the players who transferrred through the years.
    Usually, IU has one or two Mr. Basketball's on its roster at any time, which means that two or three out of four years the top player is not attending IU.

Oden wanted to go wherever Conley went and for some reason Conley was against IU. Matta did a great job recruiting pure and simple.

My guess is in 4 or 5 years, Matta's stock will have risen even more and it won't be an East coast destination job, but rather a multi million dollar NBA job.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?