Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corey Koskie traded to Brewers

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Corey Koskie traded to Brewers

Blue Jays trade Koskie to Brewers for minor league pitcher
    By COLIN FLY, AP Sports Writer
    January 7, 2006

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- After the shock of being traded to the Milwaukee Brewers had worn off, the next thing Corey Koskie thought about was steak.

"Milwaukee has one of my favorite steakhouses," Koskie said Friday night by phone from his offseason home in Minnesota. "I don't know these guys at all, so I don't know what I bring yet. I've watched them play, and I've been impressed with the way they play the game."

Koskie was traded by Toronto to Milwaukee late Friday night for minor league pitcher Brian Wolfe. The third baseman became expendable after the Blue Jays acquired slugger Troy Glaus last month.

"Corey brings a presence to a ballclub," Brewers general manager Doug Melvin said. "I've seen enough of him through the years, we felt we could upgrade defensively with him."

Koskie hit .249 with 11 home runs and 36 RBIs in 97 games last season, his first with the Blue Jays after spending the first seven years of his career with the Minnesota Twins. He was on the disabled list from May 20 to July 26 because of a broken right thumb.

"I've been taught to play the full nine innings," Koskie said. "I play hard. I have the wounds to prove it."

The 32-year-old Koskie gives the Brewers an experienced player to complement a young infield that also includes 21-year-old first baseman Prince Fielder, 23-year-old second baseman Rickie Weeks and 23-year-old shortstop J.J. Hardy.

Bill Hall, 26, also had a solid season playing mostly shortstop and third base last year.

"He adds a lot with us having such a young infield in Hall, Hardy, Weeks and Fielder. He's a left-handed bat. He's a great addition," Melvin said.

Hall batted .291 with 17 homers, 62 RBIs and 18 stolen bases last season, and Melvin sounded confident that he would get adequate playing time.

"Billy will find his way. Every year he seems to get his 400 or so at-bats. Things will work themselves out there," Melvin said.

It was the second significant trade the teams have made this offseason. The Blue Jays acquired first baseman Lyle Overbay and minor league right-hander Ty Taubenheim from Toronto for right-hander Dave Bush, minor league left-hander Zach Jackson and outfield prospect Gabe Gross at the winter meetings in Dallas last month. That paved the way for Fielder, a top power-hitting prospect, to play every day.

Milwaukee improved to 81-81 in 2005, the first time the team has avoided a losing record since 1992.

Toronto signed Koskie to a $17 million, three-year contract before last season, giving him a chance to play in his native Canada. But the Blue Jays had a logjam at the corner infield positions after acquiring Glaus in a trade with Arizona last month.

Along with Overbay and Glaus, Toronto still has Shea Hillenbrand and Eric Hinske.

The Blue Jays also signed a pair of expensive free agents during their busy offseason: starting pitcher A.J. Burnett and reliever B.J. Ryan.

In eight major league seasons, Koskie has a .277 batting average with 112 home runs and 473 RBIs. He helped the Twins win three consecutive AL Central titles from 2002-04.

"Even when I was a free agent last year, my agent approached Milwaukee," Koskie said. "Milwaukee was one of the first places on my list."

Wolfe, a 25-year-old right-hander, went 5-2 with eight saves last season, pitching exclusively in relief at three minor league levels.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Corey Koskie traded to Brewers

so i guess this means Hardy will split time with Bill Hall now at short? or will it be Hall spliting time with Koskie at 3B?

actually, looking at the splits, it seems Hall will be at short and Koskie at third when there's a right hander on the mound. with Hall going to third and Hardy taking short against lefties.

i guess this is the Brewers way of having some insurance should Hardy's secondhalf be a fluke or Prince Fielder proves unready.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

RL,

I think Bill Hall is a spare part, despite his brief surge this year. Hardy has been rushed, but is a legit prospect who came on strong last year:

post all star - .308/.363/.503

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...ting&year=2005

I know Hall had better numbers, but Hardy has the better pedigree and is less likely to be a fluke.
    Stick to your guns.

good move by the jays free's cash up for other moves. I realize there paying some of his contract but still was a good move by Riccardi.

It may just be me, but I really like what JP has done. Hope Halladay and the Jays can come up big this year.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    I know Hall had better numbers, but Hardy has the better pedigree and is less likely to be a fluke.
    What chili said. I'd look for Hall to play supersub, getting in some OF work too.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco
    It may just be me, but I really like what JP has done. Hope Halladay and the Jays can come up big this year.
    I do too. He overpaid for Ryan and Burnett, but sometimes you may have to do that to convince a player to come to a team that may not have been their first choice. One thing about overpaying - you better pick the right guy(s) to do it for.

I'm looking forward to making a couple of the 90 minute drives to the great white north to see the Jays this year.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The fallout from this deal yields a familiar name.

http://www.channel3000.com/sports/5964300/detail.html

Branyan Designated For Assignment

POSTED: 10:12 pm CST January 9, 2006

Milwaukee, WI -- The Milwaukee Brewers designated third baseman Russell Branyan for assignment on Monday to make room on the 40-man roster for third baseman Cory Koskie.

Koskie was acquired from the Toronto Blue Jays last Friday in exchange for minor league right-handed pitcher Brian Wolfe.

Branyan was a power bat off the bench for the Brewers, batting .257 with 12 homers and 31 runs batted in last season, while playing both infield corner positions.

The 30-year-old has hit .232 with 93 home runs and 238 runs batted in nine seasons with the Cleveland Indians, Cincinnati Reds and Brewers. Branyan was acquired from Cleveland for future cash considerations on July 26, 2004.

With the designation, Milwaukee has until Friday to either release or trade Branyan.

Something tells me that DanO is on the phone trying to find out if Branyan would like a spot in the bullpen.

Overheard quote attributed to DanO, "Yeah, all those Brewers players can hit and pitch, I'm told."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...d=355909&rfi=6

Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - The Milwaukee Brewers announced that third baseman Russell Branyan has cleared waivers and been released by the club.

Branyan, who played in just 85 games last season, was a power bat off the bench for the Brewers, batting .257 with 12 homers and 31 runs batted in while playing both infield corner positions. The 30-year-old has hit .232 with 93 home runs and 238 runs batted in nine seasons with the Cleveland Indians, Cincinnati Reds and Brewers. Branyan was acquired from Cleveland for future cash considerations on July 26, 2004.

I would pick up Branyan to play 1B. Doing so would free up both Pena and Kearns (or even Griffey) to be traded for pitching. Plus, Marty's head might explode at some point during the year with all the K's that Dunn, Branyan, et al could produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    I would pick up Branyan to play 1B. Doing so would free up both Pena and Kearns (or even Griffey) to be traded for pitching. Plus, Marty's head might explode at some point during the year with all the K's that Dunn, Branyan, et al could produce.
    You wouldn't need a breeze to flap the flags in the GAB if both Dunn AND Branyan were in the lineup at the same time. That's a strikeout pitcher's dream.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Has Travis Lee has already signed/re-signed with anyone? I am thinking he was a FA. I wouldn't mind him playing 1B if we can get a pitcher for Pena/Kearns. He is still young, and being surrounded by a good lineup, maybe could could live up to his potential (or, at least, half of it). He is a pretty decent fielder too.
    Last edited by ED44; 01-19-2006 at 10:50 AM.

Bet he ends up in Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig
    Bet he ends up in Washington.
    Good call. Most teams will run and hide from Russ due to the K's, but he can provide a nice dose of pop at a cheap price. While 1B is probably his best defensive position, he won't kill you at 3B or OF either.

He could fill Jacob Cruz' role in Cincy nicely, too.

Turn Off Ads?