Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Official Draft Thread

Although drafting is not a science, it is obvious that there is some major differences of opinion in the draft room. Some of the baseball people like certain players and some of Jimbos preferred guys like others. I have read some of the articles which have suggested two different camps and thus no one will be happy in this scenario. Since not many of us have scouted any of these guys and the BA and other publications are similar to the Mel Kipers of the world, it is hard to say this draft was as bad or good as any other draft. It has been stated that this entire draft is below average at best thus we will only know how good this draft is in 3-5 years. To have the answer today (RS) is egotistical at best.
    UNC - God's Country

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sorry guys.. this is taking it TOO far.

This isn't the NBA or NFL, this is MLB and historically the draft is about as easy to judge as a corrupt skating controversy at the olympics.

This draft is over 40 rounds long. We really don't have any clue if we're having a good draft or a bad draft, all the scouting reports and such are just third party information

The Reds have done a great job the last 3/4 years drafting, I'll trust them to continue that and not jump to quick analysis about us getting a guy that was rated 259th by some publication that we picked in the 2nd round.

Red Dog: I have no answers today. I have great respect for the Reds scouting department (and the ideal Casey McKeon). I (and many others whom I respect) simply had the Reds charted to go in a certain direction with this draft, and they went with the complete opposite end of the spectrum on almost every pick.

I'm not being egotistical, as perhaps I'm 180 degrees off. I'm simply expressing my *preliminary* impressions on the draft. Is that allowed?

Clemson
    Here is some more info from teamonebaseball on a few guys

Camilio Vazquez
    Hialeah (FL) HS
    Hialeah
    position
    Pitcher
    height 6-foot-0
    weight 170 pounds
    class '02
    bats left
    throws left

Bio Notes and Stats: Vasquez has a beautiful lefthanded swing, but might be an even better prospect on the mound.

Kevin Howard
    Thousand Oaks (CA)
    Miami
    position
    Third Base
    height 6-foot-3
    weight 185 pounds
    class '02
    bats left
    throws right

Bio Notes and Stats: During some points of a game, Howard can look like a sure first-rounder, making great reactionary plays or taking a smooth left-handed swing. Then other times Howard looks like he thinks to much and can make a mistake. Physically, he needs to get stronger to succeed at higher levels. He has all of the tools to make himself worthy of a possible first or second round selection.

Walter Olmstead
    San Antonio (TX)
    Texas Christian
    position
    First Base
    height 6-foot-6
    weight 230 pounds
    class '02
    bats both
    throws right

Bio Notes and Stats: Olmsted is a late-blooming prospect. He played just part-time as a freshman in 2000 and hit just .239 in 21 games. In 2001, he broke out with a .308-10-53 season. Olmsted showed enough promise to be considered a follow for the 2002 Draft.

By the way, esposito just went to colorado in round 12

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar
    11th round
    MICHAEL BASSETT GEORGE WASHINGTON U OF L/L 6'2" 205 02/10/1980 4YR

12th round
    DONALD GEMMELL SAN JOSE ST U RHP R/R 6'1" 215 07/15/1979 4YR

COMMENT: Broad, thick shoulders with compact, solid body, similar to San Francisco's Russ Ortiz. Two-seam fastball creates sink. Four-seamer has some rise to it. Circle change drops and tumbles. Best command with slider and can spot it with quick break.

<small>[ 06-04-2002, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: gonelong ]</small>

Clemson
    I have to agree with Justin Lorenz and say that we should hold the criticism for a few years. I mean after every draft there are questions and lets see even who we get signed before we criticize. By the way, Justin I say my Barnstormers knock off your GB squad!

At this point, I too am a bit disappointed by the Reds selections. I would've liked to have seen the Reds take a gamble on a a guy that slipped because of signability issues (e.g., Neighborgall) and more high-ceiling pitchers. Many of these selections look like they are guys that the club thought they could sign.

However--this scouting department deserves the benefit of the doubt. Gary Hughes, et al., have several decades (hundreds of years?) of experience between them, and these past 4 or 5 drafts have been the best that the club has had since the late 1960s.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by indy_dave00:
    <strong>Redstorm I have to agree. With 3 top 50 picks how do you end up with only 1 player Gruler. Both Schramek and Votto rated between 240-250 seem like extreme reaches.

Are these guys related to people who are Reds scouts?? Seems odd we reach that far twice in 1st 3 picks.

Hopefully the Reds scouts know something everyone else doesn't about the pair.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well they drafted Schramek last year so I would imagine they really wanted him and were afraid to wait. Votto is Canadian I believe. He could have very well come in under some radars.

I think it is a good draft so far. Not every player drafted is going to make it to the Majors. It is just as important, in my opinion, to establish a winning environment at every level of the organization. I can imagine several of these guys jumping right into Dayton to give the Offense a boost.

I've been checking into the Schramek as a pitcher question and I am beginning to think the Reds really do plan on converting him.

1. Schramek's #1 tool is his arm.

2. Schramek DID pitch at UT-SA as a freshman in 1999, posting a 0.77 ERA in limited exposure. Given his arm strength, I have to assume he also pitched in HS.

3. I check the Reds 2001 draft list and, sure enough, Schramek is listed in the 45th as a RHP.

I think this is a REALLY bad idea, but it looks like the Reds are serious about using Mark as a pitcher.

Junior#30
    Harrington drafted

Junior#30
    Reds draft SS Jose Cruz over RHP Anthony Reyes.Worst draft ever.Shoulda taken Reyes

Clemson
    anthony reyes just went to the tigers in the 13th.
    why all the criticism already guys? lets give it a few years instead of basing all your opinions on guys you have never seen on the reports of baseball america writers most of whom probably couldnt cut it as scouts or havent seen these players all that much so their write ups might not be all that accurate. besides, its not always the big names that do best. i mena, i could be wrong and every guy we didnt get could be a stud, but i'm willing to trust the organization a little.

<small>[ 06-04-2002, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Clemson ]</small>

Here's an eye-opener. According to the 2002 BA prospect handbook, the Cubs have the highest ranked farm system talent-wise. Out of their top 30 prospects, four of them were picked after the 10th round when all the "studs" were long gone.

Seattle is ranked #2 and only has three drafted after the 10th round listed, but Seattle has an over-abundance of foriegn players listed.

So we may be upset that a "name" player wasn't taken, but that is no reason to discount the Reds' draft. As others have said, lets give them 3 or 4 years before we pass judgement.

I'm glad the Reds chose Gruler. He fits the power pitcher mold that has been so successful for other teams. I LOVE all the power arms the Redes are picking up.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Of 13 picks, 10 are college guys. Seems like a signability draft to me.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

Stormy, I'm with you.

Just curious about what direction you'd have liked to see the Reds pursue. I wanted some college LHPs with solid K totals (only one they've got so far is Keller). I also hoped they'd get some compelling player talents like Moye and Espinosa in previous drafts.

What really bothers me is something chili alluded to: The Reds seem to be consistently reaching in this draft. I don't get the Votto pick at all. I simply can't believe he was in danger of getting taken before the Reds' next pick. Edens also leaves me dumbfounded. IMO, if Edens isn't a fast riser then he's a horrible selection. There's no good reason to spend a high pick on a reliever with a long ramp up time.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?