Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Official Draft Thread

RedStorm

"I (and many others whom I respect) simply had the Reds charted to go in a certain direction with this draft, and they went with the complete opposite end of the spectrum on almost every pick. "

What direction did you want the Reds to go with this draft? With mostly big, strong college pitchers drafted plus a highly regarded HS pitcher as #1, a 3rd baseman with potential, and always a few catchers, it looks as if it fit the model of where we want to be in 3-5 years. Your direction is what?
    UNC - God's Country

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Anybody have info on O.J. King from Northwestern State?

I'd never heard of him, but Baseball America had him in its top 100.

I found his stats here

<a href="http://www.nsudemons.com/baseball/stats02/teamcume.htm" target="_blank">http://www.nsudemons.com/baseball/stats02/teamcume.htm</a>

but no bio
    Stick to your guns.

Reds army
    In many ways, the choice of Gruler was a sign that something would be admiss to personal "fan" wants. I think everybody thought it would be Kazmir and the Reds would gamble.

they gambled last year and lost. With a mixed internal camp between Kazmir and Gruler, they went with the one they thought would be more signable.
    UNC - God's Country

Dog - Can't speak for Stormy, but personally, I'd liked to have seen a little more middle infield talent drafted. And with the high picks, I'd have taken pitchers with either unbelievable ceilings or guys with lots of polish who might be ready to debut in GAB 2 years from now.

I'm with M2 on Votto - I just don't get that pick at all. At the ML level, the Reds have LaRue, Miller, and Stinnett. Sardinha is on the 40 man, and last year they took a catcher out of Georgia Tech with a relatively high pick. Unless Votto is a major talent, I don't see taking him in the 2nd round. A later round, sure. But not the 2nd round.

Of course, I'm hoping that every single draft pick proves me wrong and they all turn out to be bona fide prospects & major leaguers.

here's a little info on a couple of our new guys.

Mark Schramek, 3b

<a href="http://www.goutsa.com/baseball.htm" target="_blank">http://www.goutsa.com/baseball.htm</a>

Kyle Edens, rhp

<a href="http://gobaylorbears.fansonly.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/edens_kyle00.htm" target="_blank">http://gobaylorbears.fansonly.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/edens_kyle00.htm</a>

couldnt find much on Votto...must be a high schooler

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by cincinnati chili:
    <strong>Anybody have info on O.J. King from Northwestern State?

I'd never heard of him, but Baseball America had him in its top 100.

I found his stats here

<a href="http://www.nsudemons.com/baseball/stats02/teamcume.htm" target="_blank">http://www.nsudemons.com/baseball/stats02/teamcume.htm</a>

but no bio</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Northwestern State University senior OJ King has been voted pitcher of
    the year after leading his Demons to a regular-season co-championship.
    His 2.11 earned run average is tops in the Southland and he possesses an
    8-2 record in 13 starts heading into the postseason. King is one of three
    pitchers named first-team All-Conference.

I wouldn't get too hung up on what positions the Reds draftees played in college/HS. In many cases, the Reds have other plans for them anyway.

#1a Schramek - college 3B, looks like the Reds will convert him to RHP

#2 Votto - HS C, many scouts feel he is a better fit at 3B as he matures.

#5 Howard - college 3B, many scouts feel he is a better fit as a 2B in the pros due to a lack of power in his arm and bat.

my take on middle infield is this: the reds have drafted INFs high the previous two years to last year. There are a lot of good glove INFs available (Reese ring a bell) but how many can hit with a wooden bat. These guys are more easily acquirable than good pitching (Alomar). The board complains about drafting college pitchers and when the Reds do, people do not like who they selected. Looking at their physical characteristics and speed, the Reds appear to have drafted strong, solidly-built pitchers who have less likelyhood to breakdown (ala Bankhead, williamson, wagner, etc)
    UNC - God's Country

Clemson
    14th Rounder is a Big Boy (and lefty who could intrigue)

PATRICK CURRAN FORT HAYS ST U LHP R/L 6'7" 215 08/27/1979 4YR

15th Round is another tall pitcher

CHRISTOPHER KAMIS ELGIN CC RHP R/R 6'5" 180 01/10/1982 JR

Oh and for all the Anthony Reyes fans (including myself), they just reminded on MLB Radio that his arm troubles and signability caused him to drop.

<small>[ 06-04-2002, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Clemson ]</small>

Maybe Schramek and Edens indicates the Reds are trying to groom a new closer with a power arm to succeed Graves in a couple of years. Schramek could be an attempt at the next Trevor Hoffman, an infield convert.

Why would Schramek be a pitcher? Baseball America said he could be the college player whose hitting converts to wood the best.

Schramek hit .416 this season with power. No way he is a pitcher.

<small>[ 06-04-2002, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: NC Reds ]</small>

Clearly, the Reds see something in Votto that other teams didn't.

A possible explanation for drafting Votto so high is if they heard rumors that another club was going to jump on him. But it's not just Votto who appears overdrafted, it's 9 of the first 10 picks.

I agree with Red Storm and M2 that, although the Reds have seen these guys play and we haven't, their picks are puzzling.

<small>[ 06-04-2002, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: cincinnati chili ]</small>
    Stick to your guns.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by RedDog:
    <strong>
    What direction did you want the Reds to go with this draft? With mostly big, strong college pitchers drafted plus a highly regarded HS pitcher as #1, a 3rd baseman with potential, and always a few catchers, it looks as if it fit the model of where we want to be in 3-5 years. Your direction is what?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't mean to be offensive, but are we following the same draft? We've drafted mostly big, strong college pitchers in the top 10 picks???

You have to go to the 75th pick of the draft to find our first college pitcher and he is a 5'10" guy whom almost everyone projects as destined for the bullpen. We folow that by going with another HS arm, a 1B and a 3B, before we find our next *college* pitcher at pick 195 and again he is a closer type with a 6'0" frame. Is that your draft full of big, strong college arms? Perhaps you are alluding to our 2nd pick whom we spent on a guy most teams were projecting as a top 200 3B which we jumped to grab at #40, possibly with the intent of using him as a pitcher??

The big, strong college arms you insist this draft is full of do not exist in the early rounds (though they do follow some in the later rounds). There is no question that orthodox/conventional wisdom says that we did some serious reaching with 3 of our first 5 picks. There are no picks designed with an eye towards selecting compelling talents at key positions. Our #1 pick is spent on a HS arm (the lesser of the 2 at that) and we all know the percentage of those which workout successfully. We obviously chose numerous players more in regards to them taking slot money, than on their talent level. And the organizations biggest weakness outside of SP, which is SS/2B went untouched.

I guess that is how we see this differently, without getting into the details of why the Reds bypassed specific players in certain situations in an almost inexplicable manner.

<small>[ 06-04-2002, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Red Storm ]</small>

Jose Cruz actually goes by the name Enqrique Cruz and is Jose Cruz Jr.'s brother... and Jose Cruz Sr's son.

Confusing

Anyway, he is a sophomore. I assume he's only draft eligible because he's about to turn 21.

<a href="http://www.riceowls.com/sports/baseball/bio.asp?PLAYER_ID=286" target="_blank">http://www.riceowls.com/sports/baseball/bio.asp?PLAYER_ID=286</a>

Is he expected to return to school?
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?