Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Draft Thread

Our sandwich pick between the 1st and 2nd rounds wasn't a pitcher as mlb listed him, he's a third baseman.

SCHRAMEK NAMED COLLEGIATE BASEBALL ALL-AMERICAN

SAN ANTONIO – Mark Schramek became UTSA’s first baseball all-American Friday when the senior third baseman was named third team all-American by Collegiate Baseball Magazine.

Schramek, a graduate of San Antonio’s Madison High School, was named the Southland Conference Hitter of the Year and Player of the Year for the 2002 season after leading the league in nearly every offensive category.

Schramek shattered the UTSA record for single season batting average after hitting .416 on the year with 16 doubles, two triples and 11 home runs.

The San Antonio native was voted by UTSA coaches and players as the team’s defensive and offensive player of the year as well as the team’s most valuable player.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Reds 5th round pick was a 3rd baseman from University of Miami.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

TeamOne on Joey Vatto:

Votto is a pure hitter with pop from the left side. He figures to be among the best Canadian high school prospects for 2002. Might be a corner infielder on the next level.

From a BA online chat

Q: Steve Phillips from Flushing, New York asks:
    Needless to say I am ecstatic to see Scott Kazmir fall to #15. Does this rank as the biggest suprise to you in round 1? Also what do you think I should select in round 4?

A: Jim: Yes and no. Kazmir wouldn't take the money the Reds were offering, and we knew if that happened he could tumble. With the Reds out of the picture, the logical teams to give him the money were Texas at 10 and then the Mets at 15. The Rangers apparently won't go out beyond slot money, bypassing Kazmir, Jeremy Guthrie and Bobby Brownlie for Drew Meyer, so at that point the Mets made a lot of sense. Steve, you're on your own for Round 4.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

Clemson
    I wouldnt be surprised is Schramek was indeed drafted as a pitcher. i mean it could simply be a listing mistake, but a lot of teams draft position players and try to mold them.

dont know if this bio on edens has been posted yet but from teamonebaseball

Kyle Edens
    San Antonio (TX)
    Baylor
    height 5-foot-11
    weight 190 pounds
    class '02
    bats right
    throws right
    Bio Notes and Stats: Edens is generously listed at 5-11, but there is no exagerating his velocity on the mound. He pitches a legit 91-93 and will run some fastballs up in the 94-95 MPH range. His secondary pitches are outstanding (slider in the 88-89 range and a curveball at 85-86).

<small>[ 06-04-2002, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Clemson ]</small>

Looks like the Reds are drafting players they think they can sign cheap. Allen and Linder strike again.

There's the possibility that the club might draft Schramek with the intent of converting him to a pitcher.

I wouldn't say Allen and Lindner strike again, I would say they finally realized to draft signable players and get more into the fold. All teams are under a budget, why do you think so many teams passed on Kazmir?

Regarding 5th round pick Kevin Howard:

<a href="http://hurricanesports.fansonly.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/mifl-m-basebl-CumulativeStats.html" target="_blank">http://hurricanesports.fansonly.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/mifl-m-basebl-CumulativeStats.html</a>

<a href="http://hurricanesports.fansonly.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/howard_kevin00.html" target="_blank">http://hurricanesports.fansonly.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/howard_kevin00.html</a>

Another college 3B with solid plate discipline. If nothing else, I am encouraged that the Reds saw through the 'Jeff Baker' power illusion and went after 3B who know how to hit. Baker strikes me as the second coming of Brandon Larson, tons of power with no walks and minimal contact.

All dyslexics must untie!
    "but I'm thinking the Reds took the path I advised, namely, if you like Gruler and Kazmir equally, then pick the cheaper one."

Nice safe theory...but I didn't notice you choosing CG on the "draft predictions" thread, yesterday

(pat pat pat, "Oi! My rotator cuff smarts!")

Okay princeton, I've already tabbed Schramek as my "first to 'show" from the 2002 draft...who's your sleeper?

"Anyone...anyone...Gruler...Gruler...?"

<small>[ 06-04-2002, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: gm ]</small>
    Never overlook the obvious

From what I read on Schramek it seems like he is a very good hitter and MLB.com said that his arm strength is his #1 tool. Why would they move him to a starter? I would think that if he played at a major division I college he would have been a first rounder easily. As is, he looks like a Mark Texeira from a smaller school. Not sure if the Reds could have gotten him with their next pick instead of as high as they did, but I think he sounds like a good player to have in the organization with the lack of depth at 3B.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Neighborgall not picked yet. Has Harrington gone?
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by DBFROMNVA:
    <strong>Looks like the Reds are drafting players they think they can sign cheap. Allen and Linder strike again.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Power toolsy players, looks like they are just following their MO.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    I can't name names, but I believe the Reds have something of a history of drafting UTSA Roadrunners.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

gm, you didn't notice me make that pick because I think it's a dumb pick. Yet the Reds seemed inclined to draft a HS pitcher despite the perils associated with them. However, I did post yesterday that if it came down to Kazmir or Gruler then it's best to take the cheaper one. No point in burning extra cash.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?