Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Draft Thread

so couldn't the Reds draft Neighborgall in one of the later rounds and just let him go if they can't agree to terms. Would they get a pick next year for that, or is that only for 1st rounders?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Reds army
    That Eden pick at 75 is a headscratcher, other than that, I like the draft.

Baker went to Colorado at 111.

"Would they get a pick next year for that, or is that only for 1st rounders?"

That's only for 1st rounders.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

Nows the time to take a chance on Neighborgall or Harrington I would say.

<small>[ 06-04-2002, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Ryan the Reds Fan ]</small>

Neighborgall would be a wasted pick.

Anthony Reyes out of USC ought to be picked.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

Walter Olmstead, 1B, TCU:

<a href="http://gofrogs.fansonly.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/olmstead_walter00.html" target="_blank">http://gofrogs.fansonly.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/olmstead_walter00.html</a>

<a href="http://gofrogs.fansonly.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/tcu-m-basebl-CumulativeStats.html" target="_blank">http://gofrogs.fansonly.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/tcu-m-basebl-CumulativeStats.html</a>

YUCK!

This guy must have been selected based on his tools, because his stats are BRUTAL. His K:BB ratio was 64:18 this year in 215 AB's, while his 296 BA ranked only fouth on his own team.

Clemson
    round 6 i believe

WALTER OLMSTEAD TEXAS CHRISTIAN U 1B S/R 6'6" 230 12/05/1980 4YR 56k | 300k

COMMENT: Very large, well-proportioned body. Leverage in swing with light tower power from both sides. Moves well around bag. Soft hands. Smooth, easy runner, runs well for big man. Gentle giant, nice kid.

round 7 i believe

COREY WACHMAN VALDOSTA ST U RHP R/R 6'0" 183 10/16/1980 4YR 56k | 300k

COMMENT: Same body type as Richie Lewis. Life in body. Very quick arm, easy delivery. Fastball has some hop, arm-side life. Compact, fairly clean delivery for sneaky fastball life. Hard, slurvy slider with some downward tilt, some tight rotation. Hard worker with good arm being brought along as closer.

Clemson
    neighborgall just went in the 7th round to boston red sox a la mark texeira (also on his way to georgia tech out of high school)

<small>[ 06-04-2002, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Clemson ]</small>

Why Gruler over Kazmir? Even beyond the $$$, it's simple. How many slightly built power pitchers make it as starters in the long run? If the two guys are comparable--and by all accounts, Gruler is very, very good and not really a reach--why not go with the guy whose ceiling is Curt Schilling ahead of the guy whose ceiling is Billy Wagner? Both guys are great pitchers, but I think everyone will tell you a starter like Schilling is more valuable than a reliever--even one as good as Wagner. Anyway, all high school pitchers are a crapshoot. You wouldn't catch me picking a high school pitcher in the first round.

As for the other picks... The most interesting trend is the third basemen. It clearly signals that the Reds believe the organization has a dearth of talent at the position. We should have seen it coming. Larson and Leon are considered non-prospects at this point (rightly or wrongly), and Boone's salary is about to reach that point where simple arbitration raises will push him into that Pokey/Dmitri "not worth it" category. They're going to need help there.

I'm also pleased that they seem to be going with good pure hitters and avoiding the "tools" guys. For too long, the Reds drafted athletes and tried to make them baseball players. Now they're drafting baseball players.

Let's face it, none of us knows a darn thing about these kids, but based on what I can see from scouting reports and stats, I'm pleased so far. If drafting was as simple as following the Baseball America list, there wouldn't be a need for scouts.

Two third basemen, a $3 million HS pitcher, two relievers, a 1B with no identifiable plate discipline, a catcher that BA didn't even see fit to mention at that position and, count 'em one, southpaw with a live arm.

Either the Reds know something the rest of the world doesn't or they're having a lousy draft. What really irks me is that they've loaded up on corner players and short inning RHPs in the early rounds. Philosophically I thinks that's a dangerous direction in which to head.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

It will be interesting to see if they start one of the third basemen at Stockton. Dayton has Encarnacion, and I can't see sending a college player to the GCL.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

O.J. King, rhp
    The Southland Conference pitcher of the year, King is one of the better senior signs available. Before back spasms slowed him down in May, he showed a 90-93 mph fastball and an 80-82 mph slider. He also made progress with his changeup and throws all three pitches for strikes. Add a strong 6-foot-3, 210-pound build and a fierce competitive nature, and King has a complete package. After spending two years at Connors State (Okla.) JC, he has improved throughout his time with the Demons.

Let's hope Johnny Almaraz is the guy doing the legwork in the Southland Conference.

<small>[ 06-04-2002, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: M2 ]</small>
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by guernsey:
    <strong>It will be interesting to see if they start one of the third basemen at Stockton. Dayton has Encarnacion, and I can't see sending a college player to the GCL.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thats what I was wondering as well. I don't think Encarnacion is ready to move up yet and you don't want to push him out either, he is a budding talent. That means its either Stockton or GCL for one of the 3B picks.

That in itself almost makes you wonder about them experimenting with Schramek into a pitcher.

GL

Clemson
    Round 9 brings another catcher

STEVEN BOOTH U SAN FRANCISCO C R/R 6'1" 215 08/14/1979 4YR 56k | 300k

COMMENT: Very muscular body. Solid, strong forearms and wrists, similar to Damian Miller. Good ability behind plate. Blocks pitches and keeps ball in front of him. Enough arm to throw out runners. Making better contact. Tough out with some pop. Good makeup.

Turn Off Ads?