Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Tubby Smith have a job after this year?

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Will Tubby Smith have a job after this year?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=260072305

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) -- Freshman Brandon Rush had career highs of 24 points and 12 rebounds for his first double-double and Kansas handed Kentucky (No. 21 ESPN/USA Today, No. 19 AP) its worst loss in coach Tubby Smith's nine seasons, 73-46 Saturday.

Russell Robinson added 12 points and C.J. Giles added 10 for Kansas (9-4), which won its sixth straight, broke Kentucky's four-game winning streak and beat a ranked team for the first time in three tries this season.

The Wildcats' only other loss of more than 20 points under Smith came earlier this season, in a 79-53 defeat at Indiana on Dec. 10.

The Jayhawks led 41-19 at halftime behind 16 points from Rush, and were up by as many as 32 points in the second half.

It was the first meeting between the two teams in Lawrence since Kansas blew out the Wildcats 150-95 on Dec. 9, 1989 -- a school scoring record for the Jayhawks and still the second-worst defeat in Kentucky history.

This one is likely to stick in the Wildcats' memories, too -- not for how well Kansas played on offense, but for how poorly Kentucky (10-4) performed in its lowest-scoring game since a 46-45 loss to Michigan State on Dec. 16, 2000.

The Wildcats were 15-for-62 from the field on Saturday, missing their first 13 shots from long range and not recording an assist until Rajan Rondo fed Ravi Moss for Kentucky's first 3-pointer with 14:20 left in the game.

They finished with five assists, three by Rondo, and shot 24 percent from the field.

Kentucky missed 17 of its first 20 shots, going 0-for-7 from outside the arc over that span, and didn't break into double digits until Joe Crawford connected from the lane with just over 6 minutes left in the first half.

Kansas led 25-10 after Crawford's basket -- and Rush had single-handedly outscored Kentucky 11-10. The Wildcats didn't get ahead of him for good, 18-16, until Rondo hit two free throws with 1:14 left in the first half.

Rondo and Crawford had nine points each for Kentucky -- the first time this year the Wildcats have gone without a double-digit scorer.

With the score tied at 4 almost four minutes into the game, Rush tracked down an offensive rebound after a flurry of misses and scored.

He followed that up with a 3-pointer on Kansas' next possession, Mario Chalmers added an assist and a layup in quick succession, and the Jayhawks were off on a 19-4 run that put them up 25-8 with just over 6 minutes left in the half.

Had the Jayhawks made a few more defensive rebounds, Kentucky would have scored just four points in the first 15 minutes. Three of the Wildcats' first five field goals and their first two free throws came after they were able to rebound their own misses.

An 8-0 run, capped by two baskets by Giles, put Kansas up 66-34 with just under 8 minutes left in the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Tubby Smith have a job after this year?

Will Tubby Smith have a job after this year?

I'm thinking yes..it's a bit early to throw the coach under the bus.
    Go Gators!

I'm thinking that this is the most disappointed that I have ever been in a basketball team from the University of Kentucky. That was the most pathetic 'performance' I've ever been forced to endure.

At a certain point pride has to take over. This team played with absolutely no gusto or enthusiasm from the opening whistle to the final buzzer. It's like they decided that Morriss was coming back next game, so we'll just mail this one in. Give me a break. Morriss isn't turning this team into a final four contender; this team doesn't appear to care.

Tubby's glaring problems at recruiting quality basketball players is really beginning to show through. We tried to get Tyler Hanesborough... where did he go?? UNC. It's like there's at least 10 other schools who can make an offer and automatically take kids from UK.

Personally, I like Tubby. But his recruiting can't hold a candle to the quality of Players brought in on a consistent basis by Pitino.

It was really funny, I was hoping Dicky V would draw some sort of comparison between the two eras of each coach's recruiting success while at UK. Dicky V was naming off all these legitimate stars recruited under Pitino. The list was truly impressive. Delk, Anderson, Walker, McCarty, Mercer, Mohammed, Padgett, the list goes on and on. Who has Tubby recruited that matured to such status?? Tayshaun Prince. That's it.

UK is not being perceived as an "elite of the elite" by this nation's top recruits and that needs to change. If it means finding another coach, so be it. I want results; not average players and even worse, uninspired and uncaring performances on the court.
    Last edited by WMR; 01-07-2006 at 05:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    I'm thinking that this is the most disappointed that I have ever been in a basketball team from the University of Kentucky. That was the most pathetic 'performance' I've ever been forced to endure.

At a certain point pride has to take over. This team played with absolutely no gusto or enthusiasm from the opening whistle to the final buzzer. It's like they decided that Morriss was coming back next game, so we'll just mail this one in. Give me a break. Morriss isn't turning this team into a final four contender; this team doesn't appear to care.

Tubby's glaring problems at recruiting quality basketball players is really beginning to show through. We tried to get Tyler Hanesborough... where did he go?? UNC. It's like there's at least 10 other schools who can make an offer and automatically take kids from UK.

Personally, I like Tubby. But his recruiting can't hold a candle to the quality of Players brought in on a consistent basis by Pitino.

It was really funny, I was hoping Dicky V would draw some sort of comparison between the two eras of each coach's recruiting success while at UK. Dicky V was naming off all these legitimate stars recruited under Pitino. The list was truly impressive. Delk, Anderson, Walker, McCarty, Mercer, Mohammed, Padgett, the list goes on and on. Who has Tubby recruited that matured to such status?? Tayshaun Prince. That's it.

UK is not being perceived as an "elite of the elite" by this nation's top recruits and that needs to change. If it means finding another coach, so be it. I want results; not average players and even worse, uninspired and uncaring performances on the court.
    Very well put.

If you get a chance, read the scout.com UK message board(WildcatChat). That place is in total meltdown. Almost every thread is calling for Tubby's head right now, and normally you would never be able to say a bad word about His Tubbiness.

To answer my own question, Tubby isnt going anywhere unless he decides to. Unless the NBA becomes an attractive option or he decides he doesnt want to deal with the pressure, he will stay. For the amount of money he is owed, it would be ludicrous to fire him, and with Barnhardt making the decision on a replacement, thats not something I would look forward to.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Could a Tubby Smith meltdown be enough to end the Barnhardt era at UK? At initial thought, I doubt it, because he brings in so much cash... however, people are very fickle about their University of Kentucky basketball team...

... certainly enough to fire an AD if they perceived that move as bringing about change in the on-field and recruiting departments (albeit an AD who excels at doing what Trustees love, raise money)?
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Over on the Rivals.com Kentucky forum they want to try and lure Pitino back to UK. Don't think that will happen anytime this century.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Who would you replace Tubby with? who would want to deal with those type of expectations?
    Go Gators!

I'd take Billy Donovan.

Florida's nice; but he could do special things at UK.

Man Pills

I actually think both Tubby and Pitino are probably on alert. I could be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me that both guys are in hot water if their losing ways continue.

I'd take Billy Donovan.

Florida's nice; but he could do special things at UK.
    You're kidding right?

Leave a place where 20 wins is cause for celebration and he's one of the highest paid coaches? where he's worshiped and go to a place where every loss is cause to be fired? and they will hang him if he doesn't win a NC in his first year?

HA

If you fire Tubby a better plan would be get a young guy who is an unknown, let him build his system from the ground up.

Look at Bob Stoops, Florida came after him hard after Spurrier left town but he said no, he has a good thing and knew that expectations would be insane at Florida.
    Go Gators!

Billy Donovan would leave Florida for UK in a heartbeat.

Billy Donovan would leave Florida for UK in a heartbeat.
    No he wouldn't.

Your fan base is insane, witness this thread
    Go Gators!

Donovan isn't Pitino Jr. Let's cross him off the list and much like the Reds, let's stop the obsession with the old days and bring in fresh blood.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Look who he's put in the NBA; he can recruit Pitino-level talent. He's the type of coach who could really magnify those talents at a school with the potential recruiting power of a UK. UK has more potential for maximizing recruiting than Florida. Billy Donovan is the exact sort of coach that we need.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I actually think both Tubby and Pitino are probably on alert. I could be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me that both guys are in hot water if their losing ways continue.
    There is ZERO chance Pitino is on the hot seat at Louisville, he'll retire a Cardinal.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Turn Off Ads?