Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Tubby Smith have a job after this year?

Man Pills

Re: Will Tubby Smith have a job after this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    There is ZERO chance Pitino is on the hot seat at Louisville, he'll retire a Cardinal.
    Maybe. But I don't know, talking to some wealthy alums I know--they say the school isn't married to the guy. He's had ample time to prepare for the move to the big dance (Big East), etc. If the Cards don't start beating teams that matter, he may be out a lot sooner than a lot of people think. Now, they won't fire him of course; they'll give him a chance to quit and save face, but the Louisville program wants a national title. They are saying they're bothered by the fact that Pitino's so far been unable to recruit a good big man for the boards (Ellis Myles being the only example). Padgett ain't it. Some are questioning if his heart's been in it as much as it should be.

As I speak, the Cards are looking to cough one up to Providence of all teams.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 01-07-2006 at 09:37 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't follow UK that much, but I think you have to be realistic and expect a disappointing season every once in awhile. The Wildcats are still ranked #19.

Just remember, UNC fans thought they were doing the right thing when they dismissed Bill Guthridge (2 final fours in 3 years, but couldn't beat Duke), and they hired a "young up and coming guy" who fell on his face.

Tubby is a great coach. Recruiting is unbelievably competitive, especially since they're fighting the NBA now. Cut the guy some slack. If I were a UK fan, I'd much rather have Tubby around to turn things around than anyone else who would realistically be available.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

If Travis Ford could get UMass turned around - there's the young coach you need at UK.

I wonder if Steve Alford would take the UK job?

If Dennis Felton hadn't taken the UGA job, there's another viable candidate.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    If Travis Ford could get UMass turned around - there's the young coach you need at UK.

I wonder if Steve Alford would take the UK job?

If Dennis Felton hadn't taken the UGA job, there's another viable candidate.
    I've read that Ford has had not too good relations with some UK fans while at EKU. While I think he would be considered, I dont know how far he would get.

Alford is probably the top candidate for Indiana if/when they ever get rid of Mike Davis, although he has probably saved his job after this year.

As far as Georgia, its happened before.

I have to believe, going down the Pitino family tree, it would be Billy Donovan, Herb Sendek(NC St), Ralph Willard(Holy Cross, former Pitt coach), Travis Ford, and John Pelfrey(So Alabama). Might also figure Morehead St's Kyle Macy, even though he hasnt had much success on the collegiate level.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Don't be like bama and just go after guys who are "in the family"
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Don't be like bama and just go after guys who are "in the family"
    Don't give them any ideas. I loath Kentucky basketball and really enjoying the long faces around here now.

I don't really put this season on Tubby. How was he supposed to know that Kelenna and Morris would make stupid decisions and that Sparks would basically become useless? If Sparks was putting up the same #'s as last year, Kelenna was back and Morris didn't try and jump to the NBA, this team would be much better right now.

Post To Contact

No he wouldn't.

Your fan base is insane, witness this thread
    Haha, it's true, we're all insane.

In all actuality, last I knew at least, Billy Donovan openly said in an interview that his dream job was UK and would take it if he ever got the chance. Now this has been a couple years back, so I am not sure if he'd still openly SAY that today since Florida is having good times right now. But I bet ya he'd still take it.
    “[He] called me a ‘rapist’ and a ‘recluse.’ I’m not a recluse.” - Mike Tyson

Source for that?

Again, Bob Stoops called Florida his dream job a bunch of times, then he turned them down twice.

Mostly a don't burn bridges thing IMO
    Go Gators!

Post To Contact

Source for that?

Again, Bob Stoops called Florida his dream job a bunch of times, then he turned them down twice.

Mostly a don't burn bridges thing IMO
    Sorry, you'll have to take my word. It was a television interview he gave, I believe on ESPN a couple years ago. As I said, with Florida having better times lately, the situation may have changed for him, but I would still say the odds are greater that he would leave for Kentucky if he had the chance. Just my opinion, not wishful thinking or anything as I am not that enamored with Billy D to begin with.
    “[He] called me a ‘rapist’ and a ‘recluse.’ I’m not a recluse.” - Mike Tyson

Well, this will make things interesting. Kentucky just lost to Vandy at home 57-52
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Vanderbilts first win against UK in Lexington since 1974.

I think it's safe to say that this is the worst UK team since the 1990 probation team, which went about .500.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Not only are they losing...they are playing stupidly and out of control.

They were down 4 with over a minute left and air balled a horribly forced 3 pointer.

This does not look like a Tubby team.

I would expect the wolves will be out tonight in the blueland.
    DLC11@Insightbb.com

They will win 20 and get to the NCAA.

Seems every year we hear that Tubby is in trouble, and then they pick it up..they will be fine.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Donkey
    Sorry, you'll have to take my word. It was a television interview he gave, I believe on ESPN a couple years ago. As I said, with Florida having better times lately, the situation may have changed for him, but I would still say the odds are greater that he would leave for Kentucky if he had the chance. Just my opinion, not wishful thinking or anything as I am not that enamored with Billy D to begin with.
    If I am not mistaken, when Rick left for Boston, Billy Donovan was #1A on C.M. Newton's list to be contacted (with Tubby being # 1) about the position.

However, when Tubby agreed to a contract and left Georgia in a New York minute--Donovan was left saying politely that he was "flattered but loved it at UF." Who knows what Billy's reaction would have been had the negotiations become more drawn out--they just never had time to materialize.

In the eight or so years hence, Donovan has made it clear (in the articles that I have read) that he has no desire to coach at UK. Furthermore, he feels that the new basketball facilities that they are building for him in Gainesville will give the Gators a superior recruiting advantage over UK for years to come.

Company speak? Maybe. But regardless of how poorly some of his teams have done in recent NCAA tournaments, they are still ready to start building statues of Donovan in Hogtown. FWIW, his wife loves it there, too.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Turn Off Ads?