Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Will Tubby Smith have a job after this year?

Re: Will Tubby Smith have a job after this year?

Quote Originally Posted by kyred14
    Don't worry about Vandy. Now that Cutler is gone, they're back to the doormat for another 20 years.
    I wouldn't discount Bobby Johnson's ability to recruit good students with chips on their shoulders. It worked for Randy Walker in Northwestern for a while.

I do doubt the direction of Vanderbilt's athletic department.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    I wouldn't discount Bobby Johnson's ability to recruit good students with chips on their shoulders. It worked for Randy Walker in Northwestern for a while.

I do doubt the direction of Vanderbilt's athletic department.
    Pretty impressive what Vandy has been able to accomplish in all varsity sports this year given the fact that they HAVE no athletic department to speak of...

Well, it appears as though Tubby finally has the team's attention on the defensive side of the ball. While I was extremely impressed with UK's showing last Saturday in Columbia, you can't really read too much into last night's matchup with Ole Miss. They ran into a buzzsaw last night without Curtis. My thoughts from last night's spectacle:

1) Anytime you can hold a team to under 25% from the field for 40 minutes, the effort is really there by all five guys on the court.

2) I know it is an aberration, but it was nice to see them hit their first 14 free throws on the night. Not sure, but I'll bet they haven't hit their first 5 to start a game all year long.

3) Rondo seems to have accepted his role on both ends of the floor. Gambling on the defensive end of the ball is what got him benched, he stayed in position all night long last night. On the offensive side, twelve assists--zero turnovers last night. That's gonna work for me.

4) Stockton and Moss continue to set the tone. I have been pimping these to guys to start for FAR longer than these past three games; thus, I am well pleased with what I have seen. They still aren't playing more average minutes than the "Big 3" that were benched. I am fine with that. I just love those 3 guys coming off the bench (especially Crawford) with that energy.

If it ain't broke.....Stockton taking a charge 5 seconds into the game ensures he will stay in Tubby's good graces. Moss is always in proper position on both ends of the court and has a lightning quick release from beyond the arc. I could probably stomach Morris regaining his starting spot over Woo at this point, but at least he isn't getting into foul trouble in the first half anymore.

5) Lots of folks around here have been crying about the lack of playing time being given to Carter and Miller thusfar. All I can say is, ugh. If anybody watched last night's second half and still thinks that those two guys are ready--they need to put down the crackpipe.

I realize it was garbage time, but Ole Miss had completely mailed it in for the last eight minutes when the two freshman entered the game. Carter looked completely petrified to foul--so he ran away from rebounds. Miller tried too many stupid and highly difficult passes. I know that the Morris thing kinda kept Tubby in limbo until December regarding the center position. But, looking back on it, BOTH of those two guys should have been redshirted this season.

Basically, the Cats need 2 out of 3 of these final games to make me sleep better at nights. I would be absolutely shocked if UK won in Knoxville this year. In fact, I smell a double-digit loss for the Cats that night. I'll say that they outlast LSU (very thin bench) in Baton Rouge Saturday and squeak past a suddenly shaky Florida team here on Senior Day. That--my friends--would equal 20 wins going into the SEC tourney. Wouldn't that be unthinkable only 10 days ago?

Whatever happens in these last three BRUTAL games will define the legacy of this team--and quite possibly it's coach.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Tubby's not going anywhere...unless it's the NBA

I see one win in the last three games, and that is the Florida game. I'm sure UK fans will give Joakim Noah a humbling experience(as if CJ Watson didn't do that last night). Tennessee is white-hot right now and LSU is a more talented team overall(Thomas, Mitchell, and Big Baby Davis) than UK, regardless of depth.

Who is Miller? I'm looking at UK's roster right now and I don't see him.

I'm just hoping Tubby will get a head start on recruiting for 2007, that is going to be the year that defines the direction this program heads in.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    I see one win in the last three games, and that is the Florida game. I'm sure UK fans will give Joakim Noah a humbling experience(as if CJ Watson didn't do that last night). Tennessee is white-hot right now and LSU is a more talented team overall(Thomas, Mitchell, and Big Baby Davis) than UK, regardless of depth.

Who is Miller? I'm looking at UK's roster right now and I don't see him.

I'm just hoping Tubby will get a head start on recruiting for 2007, that is going to be the year that defines the direction this program heads in.
    I think he meant Williams. He sucks, he will either leave or Tubby should pull his scholly to get a 6th recruit. Shag and Rondo/Bradley will be gone next year I would imagine. The only way I see Rondo staying is if he gets hurt before the draft. In the very slight chance Rondo stays, I expect Bradley to transfer.

I think he meant Williams. He sucks, he will either leave or Tubby should pull his scholly to get a 6th recruit. Shag and Rondo/Bradley will be gone next year I would imagine. The only way I see Rondo staying is if he gets hurt before the draft. In the very slight chance Rondo stays, I expect Bradley to transfer.
    IMHO, Rondo is gone, so you don't have to worry about Bradley transferring. Rondo is an NBA specimen, his only flaw(jump shot) can be developed there. He is a lottery pick for sure.

With that being said, here is Kentucky's graduating class this year and possible departures.

Ravi Moss
    Brandon Stockton
    Preston Lemaster
    Rajon Rondo(draft)

Not really big losses, and losing Rondo really wouldnt be unexpected.

Incoming class looks like this.

Michael Porter(PG)
    Jodie Meeks(SG)
    Derrick Jasper(PG)
    Perry Stevenson(PF)

Jasper is probably the tallest PG Tubby has recruited and the second best outside of Rondo. Meeks looks like another Gerald Fitch to me, questionable from deep, but is an excellent defender. I'm still kinda questioning recruiting Michael Porter. They are talking like he is going to compete with Jasper for playing time, but he kinda looks like Preston Lemaster or Adam Williams. Stevenson is a rail thin PF who has a decent outside shot.

The biggest ones to watch is where big man Phil Jones and wingman Tyler Smith end up. If Tubby can get Jones, he might have a possible replacement for Randolph Morris if Morris decides to leave again. Smith looks like a more filled out version of Tayshaun Prince.

Slated to leave after next season.

Shagari Alleyne
    Lukasz Obrzut
    Bobby Perry
    Rekalin Sims
    Sheray Thomas

Now, this could be the deepest recruiting class in terms of overall talent to come available. Patrick Patterson and Dante Jackson should factor into UK's recruiting efforts immediately. There is also the slim chance of recruiting Mayo and Walker. Keenan Ellis could have factored into the plans as well and still could.

The next two seasons are going to determine a lot.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Oops, brain cramp...You are correct. I was referring to Adam Williams. As in the UK freshman who was the West Virginia Player of the Year last year.

Regarding Rondo going pro this summer--I am starting to wonder about that one. I concede that he is tiring of Tubby's refusal simply to turn the team keys over to him. I don't doubt he wants out from under THAT situation. However, I am starting to think that he might not be as sought after by NBA scouts anymore.

Don't get me wrong. I love Rondo and actually expected him to leave after his freshman year. But this year he has regressed in many categories (although the last game was not really indicative). He isn't going to make it as an NBA point guard because of his exceptional defense and rebounding. He HAS to develop an outside shot. He has nothing outside of the paint. Making 50% of your free throws isn't going to endear yourself either.

I kinda see Rondo's season this year somewhat like the Junior year of Keith Bogans. The fans drilled Bogans because his numbers decreased after his Sophmore season. The pros decided he was a tweener and he needed better range from the outside (especially his mid-range jumper). His loss ended up being UK fans' gain as he had no choice but to return for his Senior season.

On that same subject...I am also starting to believe that Randolph Morris will return next year. Yes, yes, I realize that he has already stated such when he was officially re-instated. But, at that time, I didn't think it was anything more than lip service. Now, I actually think he is becoming sold on Tubby as a coach for the first time. I look for big things tomorrow (vs. LSU) out of Randolph Morris...

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Pretty impressive what Vandy has been able to accomplish in all varsity sports this year given the fact that they HAVE no athletic department to speak of...
    Off-topic a little bit, but I think Vandy's deal has been a bit misunderstood. It's a newfangled and maybe a little new-age attempt at making athletics less isolated from the university as a whole. But they're still spending money and trying to win, even if the organization chart isn't obvious from the outside.

Anyway, why not try something new? Doing things the way the rest of the SEC does wasn't getting them much of anywhere in men's basketball and football, and probably never would. They're never going to be able to offer 100,000 seat stadiums or the adulation of an entire state. Their best hope of success -- not saying it would be easy -- is turning Vandy into the place where the jocks who aren't just jocks want to go.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    IMHO, Rondo is gone, so you don't have to worry about Bradley transferring. Rondo is an NBA specimen, his only flaw(jump shot) can be developed there. He is a lottery pick for sure.

With that being said, here is Kentucky's graduating class this year and possible departures.

Ravi Moss
    Brandon Stockton
    Preston Lemaster
    Rajon Rondo(draft)

Not really big losses, and losing Rondo really wouldnt be unexpected.

Incoming class looks like this.

Michael Porter(PG)
    Jodie Meeks(SG)
    Derrick Jasper(PG)
    Perry Stevenson(PF)

Jasper is probably the tallest PG Tubby has recruited and the second best outside of Rondo. Meeks looks like another Gerald Fitch to me, questionable from deep, but is an excellent defender. I'm still kinda questioning recruiting Michael Porter. They are talking like he is going to compete with Jasper for playing time, but he kinda looks like Preston Lemaster or Adam Williams. Stevenson is a rail thin PF who has a decent outside shot.

The biggest ones to watch is where big man Phil Jones and wingman Tyler Smith end up. If Tubby can get Jones, he might have a possible replacement for Randolph Morris if Morris decides to leave again. Smith looks like a more filled out version of Tayshaun Prince.

Slated to leave after next season.

Shagari Alleyne
    Lukasz Obrzut
    Bobby Perry
    Rekalin Sims
    Sheray Thomas

Now, this could be the deepest recruiting class in terms of overall talent to come available. Patrick Patterson and Dante Jackson should factor into UK's recruiting efforts immediately. There is also the slim chance of recruiting Mayo and Walker. Keenan Ellis could have factored into the plans as well and still could.

The next two seasons are going to determine a lot.
    Jones pretty much came out and said he coming to UK. He just needs to get his test scores up. UK is leading for Tyler Smith, but Tubby will need to free up some scholly's to get both.

UK loses a close one to LSU 71-67.

On the plus side, we did hold Tyrus Thomas to just 9 points.

Crawford was a real defensive liability out there today; worse than Sparks, even. He got beat consistently by his man who happened to be playing with a sprained ankle and was obviously laboring in his movement... sheesh

Why was that final shot given to Sheray Thomas down low instead of Morriss? I wish Sheray would have kicked out to Ravi, he was wide open for a 3-pt. attempt. Tubby was yelling at him to kick it out. Our "power"-forwards are soooo undersized.

I am a little puzzled how that final play involved anybody except Morris. Sheray Thomas usually isn't even IN THE GAME during the final ticks--let alone, drawing the play up for him to shoot. Even if Tubby wanted him to "kick it out" to Moss, why do that? They didn't need a three to tie it.

If Thomas gets into a situation where he does have to shoot it, he'd damn sure better know to use the glass from that angle and distance. What an unbelievable opportunity they pissed away yesterday.

In light of last nights HUGE win @ UT and recent 'zoners flip-flop in the 'Can we bottle Tubbys coaching ability' thread, I thought this one deserved a bump.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 03-02-2006 at 12:55 PM.

Turn Off Ads?