Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much did you make?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How much did you make?

At your first job? I was just reading an article where a guy said he was paid once a month and brought home $275 a month.

My first job in high school was at a Lawson's (similar to UDF). I made $1.65 and hour.

My first job out of college I made $4.65 an hour working on a Psych inpatient unit at a hospital.

I don't remember my hourly rate at my second job, which was at a domestic abuse shelter, but we were paid montly and I brought home $711 a month. I had a knife pulled on me, a gun aimed at me, and a bomb wired to my car in that job. All that for 700 bucks.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Re: How much did you make?

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    I had a knife pulled on me, a gun aimed at me, and a bomb wired to my car in that job.

And NONE of that ugliness would have been necessary had you just agreed to go out with me, dammit.

I made $1 an hour on my first job, in the summer between my sophomore and junior year in high school. I ran a roto-tiller, busting up very hard soil. It nearly shook me to death the three weeks I worked for this guy.

But, it enabled me to buy those new spikes from Sears, the ones Ted Williams endorsed, 'cause he was on their advisory board, you know. Bought a cool fly rod too.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

My first job was at the Mariemont Theater - $2.25 an hour, 30 hours a week.

Once I delivered Auto Parts and made $4.00 an hour... after a year I got a 25 cent raise.

I quit.

$2.50/hour in 1979. (still have my tax returns) I worked as a receptionist/secretary in a non-profit counseling agency. I remember my oldest sister making $5/hour doing the same job for the county Board of Elections and then quiting before the year was up because she couldn't take the stress.... :thumbdown

I don't remember my hourly rate at my second job, which was at a domestic abuse shelter, but we were paid montly and I brought home $711 a month. I had a knife pulled on me, a gun aimed at me, and a bomb wired to my car in that job. All that for 700 bucks.
    Never had any of that but would get some wild looking husbands wanting to know where their wives were (if the wives went to the women's shelter) - I remember one wearing a heavy wool coat and never taking his hands out of his pockets. I called security, but he had already left when they arrived. The office building was opened in the morning around 5:30 but the office didn't open until 8 - so anyone could come in - mostly what we got was homeless people coming in out of the cold/heat.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I made $3.50 an hour working at Ayer Electric on Duck Creek Road.

Once the Summer was over I took a pay cut to work for Sporty's Pilot Shop
    at the Clermont County Airport: $3.44/hour.

This was 1985, I believe.

I was a caddy and made about $30-$35 a round. Around $8 an hour. Then started carrying doubles and would make $60-$70 a round. Cash. It's the way to go.

in high school, i worked very briefly as a dishwasher at a local restaurant for about 3 bucks an hour, at most.
    thing was, they had me punching out under some other guy's timecard. thought that was kind of fishy and left.
    oh...i never DID get paid for that job. but, i'm betting the other guy did

I had a paper route, and made $30 a week. If that doesn't count, then my first actual non-paper route job was unloading trucks at Meijer for $5.50 an hour.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

My first job was this past summer, about a month before 2-a-days started, i worked for my neighbors construction company and made $10/hr.
    Let's make some noise!

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

1986, McDonalds, $3.35/hr.

I quit 6 months later to umpire Little League Games at $10/game.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    My first job in high school was at a Lawson's (similar to UDF). I made $1.65 and hour.
    And for the record, we had a Lawson's in Piqua when I was growing up. It became a Dairy Mart though, sometime around 1990-1992.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    And for the record, we had a Lawson's in Piqua when I was growing up. It became a Dairy Mart though, sometime around 1990-1992.

I started out working as a delivery guy in a non-chain drug store in 1976. I made $1.87 an hour. I drove around alot, and the drug store had a tremendous liquor business. I spent alot of time delivering liquor. I would drive around with cases of liquor iin the back of a hatchback to all the rich folks houses. Never once did a cop pull me over with all that booze in the car. That had to be illegal as heck!

This store (in Rushville, In) was back then (in pre-Ticketmaster days) a Reds ticket outlet. Gordy Coleman would stop in occaisionally and chat while making his rounds. He was a really jovial guy.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

My first regularly paying job was at a local movie theatre in Northern Virginia, making $6.50/hr. When I moved back to Cincinnati, I worked summers in college at another movie theatre here, eventually "retiring" from the summer job biz at $9.75/hr.

Not bad, considering all I did was stand around and order kids younger than me to do work.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    My first regularly paying job was at a local movie theatre in Northern Virginia
    Hey, so was mine, Circle Theater in Fairfax. $3.35/hour.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo
    Hey, so was mine, Circle Theater in Fairfax. $3.35/hour.
    Reston Multiplex, Reston Town Center.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?