Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much did you make?

Re: How much did you make?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    A penny a minute picking up debris from various lots (cleaning up builders' mess, before landscaping, etc).. But it was all cash, so I really stuck it to Uncle Sam
    The IRS will be calling
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

My first job was working at a car wash for $1.15 a hour (Centerville Car Wash, long defunct now). After taxes, it netted out to less than a $1 an hour. I was 14 so that was 1964.

The worst part was that if it was busy, we got no breaks (I was a dryer). So you dried the car with one hand, and ate a PB&J with the other (and don't get them mixed up). And it was an 8-6 shift. That was one lousy job.

My first job out of college payed $7200 a year (1975). I thought I was rolling in dough. When I got to 5 figures a couple years later, I thought I was Mr. Big Bucks.

Pay attention to the open sky

$4.50 an hour working in a warehouse in 1988.

What's really crazy is babysitting. I did a fair amount of it throughout high school and college. As recently as 1994, I was seeing about $3-$4 per hour with maybe a couple bucks tip, depending on the family.

When I pay my babysitter now, a decade later, starting pay is $10 per hour.

Thus, the misses & I splurge for a sitter about once every other month.

And here's another question - are there any neighborhoods left where kids mow grass & rake leaves for $$$? I always had several steady yard jobs junior high through college. The money was really good - $12-$15 for about 60-90 minutes of work. We live in a pretty big neighborhood, and I'm not aware of a single kid who's willing to do yard work.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

1980 - I was 10 years old, I would make about a $1 moving bricks around and cleaning up while Dad was laying bricks.

I worked on my neighbors farm from about 13-15 or so, made $1/hr to start and made about $3/hr at the end. Made $5/hr or so when we baled hay.

Started in a factory when I was 16, I think I made $3.25 and hour.

GL

When minimum wage was $3.35, I was making $3.90 working as a camera Operator for the ABC afilliate in Amarillo Texas. When Minimum went to $4.05 I got a raise to minimum wage.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Back in my day you had to operate the projectors and do the film build, then sell tickets, clean up vomit, sell popcorn and wear a tie.

It was great.
    Didn't have to clean up vomit, but I was the "jack of all trades" at the theatre -- doing work selling tickets some nights, shoveling popcorn other nights, and doing film builds/brekdowns and projector operation other nights.

Quite enjoyed it.

I still have a collection of cells from movies that I worked on over the years -- mostly because I'd forget to throw them out when I came home with them in my pocket.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

I still have a collection of cells from movies that I worked on over the years -- mostly because I'd forget to throw them out when I came home with them in my pocket.
    I still have my film degree that the job inspired me to pursue (and a box of films I haven't watched in years)

When I was 12-13, I marked fields and moved bases at the local little league complex. Four fields every weekday. It took about 2-3 hours to get everything set up, so I worked about 10-12 hours a week. I think I made $90 for the entire summer, which wasn't decent money even back then (mid-80s).
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Hardee's something like $4.20 an hour back in 1990

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I was a sub-contracted delivery expert technician (paperboy) for The Lima News from 1980 until 1988. I made about $30-35 a week.

I was a clerk at the Kroger Store at Worthington Mall. Started off making $4.35/hour, then after 6 months received my union-endorsed 5 raise. Whoo-ee, the big time.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan
    And here's another question - are there any neighborhoods left where kids mow grass & rake leaves for $$$? I always had several steady yard jobs junior high through college. The money was really good - $12-$15 for about 60-90 minutes of work. We live in a pretty big neighborhood, and I'm not aware of a single kid who's willing to do yard work.
    I did too. It appears to me that a lot of the kids who mowed lawns in the 70's/80's never stopped, thus killing the biz for todays youths.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

My first job was shoveling snow when I was probably 10-12. I had my house and my neighbor's house where I had regular deals set up for either $10 or $12. I also did other houses in the neighborhood door to door. I remember one of the huge storms my friends and I made something like $200 over a 2 week period.

My first semi-real job was umpiring kids T-ball games when I was 14 I think. I made $15 a game (65 minute time limit, usually about 1.5 hrs total per game) and I would usually do about 6 games a week. I then moved up to bigger kids and got up to $25 a game for the "select" team games. Those parents were really a$$holes though.

My first real job was working at Wright Patt as an engineering intern. I made $8 three summers ago, $9, two summers ago and $10 this past summer (all per hour). I can't complain too much. I've had it pretty good compared to many of my friends. My girlfriend got a job at an FYE store when she turned 16 and now (at 22 - she worked once a month through college the past few years) she is making maybe $8/hour as a manager.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Bag-boy, $5.15 an hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I did too. It appears to me that a lot of the kids who mowed lawns in the 70's/80's never stopped, thus killing the biz for todays youths.
    That's pretty much true. When my son was younger, we did a fairly decent job of drumming up 3-4 lawns for him to mow. But it was for neighbors we knew and they were sort of doing us a favor. Kind of like the Girl Scout cookie cooperative (you buy GS cookies from my daughter, I'll buy them from yours).

But the big lawn services suck up most of that (and the leaf collecting) business. They pull up in their trucks, drive the 48" tractor mower off the trailer, mow the grass in about 10 minutes, trim it, blow off the grass, and are gone in nothing flat. With leaves, they have giant vacuum cleaner things that polish off a lawn in nothing flat.

My kids do a pretty good business in the neighborhood with dog sitting. Kennels charge $20-25 (or more) a day, my kids charge $10/day to come to your house 4 times a day to let the dog out. They walk it once or twice a day. If someone is gone for a week, the kids make a fairly easy $70 cash. Over Christmas holiday, the girls were dog (and cat) sitting for 5 houses. $350 that they split. And they played with the dogs, walked them all at once, and generally had a lot of fun.

And there is more baby-sitting jobs for my 15 and 12 yr. olds than they can handle and are in high demand. They have standing job with several families where my girls tell them the nights they'll babysit and then the families make plans accordingly.

Pay attention to the open sky

Turn Off Ads?