You've got to be kidding me...

Sunday, January 8, 2006

Freel arrested in Tampa

By John Fay and Kevin Kelly
    Enquirer staff writers
    Zoom
    Ryan Freel
    ADVERTISEMENT

Reds infielder Ryan Freel was arrested early this morning in Tampa and charged with one count of disorderly intoxication, according to a booking report from the Hillsborough County jail.

The charge is a second-degree misdemeanor.

According to the report, Freel was arrested at 3:35 a.m. at the corner of Platt Street and Packwood Avenue in Tampa. He listed himself as unemployed and refused to take a breathalyzer, according to the report.

Freel, who last month signed a two-year deal worth at least $3-million, was released at 11:05 a.m. today from the Hillsborough County jail on a $250 bond.

Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said today he was not aware of the incident.

"It's news to me," O'Brien said. "I'm very reluctant to comment without having all the facts."

It is the second time Freel has been arrested in less than a year. He was arrested and charged with driving under the influence in Northern Kentucky after Opening Day on April 4 last season.

Freel pled guilty, and paid $661.50 in fines and court costs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Freel arrested again

strike 2

It's not good- but if I was a young man making that kind of dough, I would be getting in serious trouble. Professionally, this doesn't bother me a bit. I would hope that personally, though, he looks at his future long and hard.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Disturbing, fortunately he wasn't driving. Trade him while he has some value.

Once was a mistake. Twice is starting to form a pattern and indicate a problem.

Reds need to provide a little tough love and insist he get help.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Its time to cut ties with this man.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Maybe the reason the team doesn't see Freel as an everyday player is because they see a lot of suspensions in his future.

Makes all the routine posts.

Honestly, I could care less about this one. I don't mind if Freel sometimes gets loaded. I know I got loaded more than a few times at age 29. Getting loaded and driving was one (very bad) thing. This one sounds like a busybody cop enforcing a dumb local statute.

As a complete aside., if you can't walk to where you're going when you're drunk then isn't that incentive to try to drive there?
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Honestly, I could care less about this one. I don't mind if Freel sometimes gets loaded. I know I got loaded more than a few times at age 29. Getting loaded and driving was one (very bad) thing. This one sounds like a busybody cop enforcing a dumb local statute.
    Might well be, but my cousin the cop only busts for disorderly if the person is doing something bad (fighting or mouthing off) or disgusitng (tinkle).
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

I agree with most of your post, M2, but D'n'D suggests to me that he was outside either a bar or a girl's house and that he was making quite a ruckus. It doesn't suggest to me that he was simply walking home drunk.

Obviously, I could be wrong about that, though.
    Makes all the routine posts.

The guy is careless on the field and he is showing a trend of being careless off the field as well...trade him.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Cops usually only arrest on public intox if the supsect refuses to move along, or creates some type of scene (yelling, mouthing off to the officer). If they create a scene they get hooked and booked for public intox and sleep it off in county.

I think Mr. Freel has a lot of growing up to do, and these frequent encounters with law enforcement are becoming unacceptable.
    Last edited by Reds4Life; 01-08-2006 at 04:13 PM.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

I dont trade him. So far, both incidences have been drinking related. Let the guy seek some help before dumping him. He means a lot to the team, and is a good part of the team. If he got arrested for domestic violence with his wife, would there be such a ruckus? Probably not, people would say he needs to go to counciling with his wife.

I personally dont think you trade someone bc they were drunk outside a bar (or whatever this case was), unless he is truly doing something bad. He needs to seek help and get better. He's no Ray Lewis....

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    I agree with most of your post, M2, but D'n'D suggests to me that he was outside either a bar or a girl's house and that he was making quite a ruckus. It doesn't suggest to me that he was simply walking home drunk.

Obviously, I could be wrong about that, though.
    From years of covering police blotters I can tell you that D'n'D is one of the most trumped up charges on the books. Most times, it's someone showing mild signs of drunkenness who gets nabbed by a cop looking for something to do. There's usually very little "disorderly" when you read the arrest logs. It usually mentions one of two words - "erratic" or "loud" - with few specifics. I mean, if you were being little bit loud why wouldn't the cop just tell you to keep it down? Wouldn't that be the more sensible thing to do?

I had a friend who went to school down in Blacksburg, VA where the locals used to (and might still) make D'n'D a holy crusade. When I visited him at his frat, guys literally recommended that, after tying a few on, we drive to a bar a few blocks away so that when wouldn't get snagged for D'n'D. So, while I appreciate there's police like creek's cousin who only snag people who are way over the top, I know from experience that it isn't the norm.

Maybe Freel was being nuts, but you'll note there's nothing to that effect in the report. My guess is that's because it didn't make its way into the police log ... and it generally would make it into the police log if he were specifically doing something outlandish.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Without knowing the facts of what led up to the arrest I can't really make a judgement.

If he'd of been driving, I'd probably have another take on it.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Turn Off Ads?