Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Freel arrested again

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Freel arrested again

My goodness, you'd think he had gotten caught in an orgy with animals and teen agers, or smoking cigarettes at his desk. Drinking problem, apparently. Dumping him? A bit reactionary and overstated. IMO
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    I believe he's married and has recently become a father. This guy has a real problem.
    Don't we all.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

I sympathize with him for drinking. He has more justification.

I'm just a FAN of a really bad Red's team.

He's a PLAYER for a really bad Red's team.

That should have been his defense. No court in this country would convict him.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Haunted by walks

Calm down....... geese, what he needs is to learn to not get in trouble. How many times have you guys gotten toasted and not gotten into trouble. Some people are just unlucky and in the wrong spot at the wrong time. It was a weekend night and it might have just been an over eager cop. Not all cops are understanding and nice.... most aren't. You don't just dump a ball player because he goes out and hit's the bars. What would Babe Ruth and Micky Mantel have done with this crowd, must less all the other players.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

I'll never forget the Mick telling anyone who could hear that the drinking and running around hurt his performance.

As fans, it's really none of our business what he does off the field. His performance on the field is what we should care about. Unfortunately, we have a man like Mickey Mantle say it hurt is on-field performance. The club should be concerned (which I'm sure they are) and take appropriate action. Mantle blamed a lot of his injuries on his off-field behavior. Wasn't Ryan out a lot at the end of the season? Hmmm..
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

He listed unemployed?

You think he knows something we dont?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Future Reds All Star TeamMorris's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003
    I can't believe that information can be pulled up on the web so easy!! That is scary!!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    He listed unemployed?

You think he knows something we dont?
    I think he was trying to throw reporters who loiter around the police blotter off of the scent of a story. Didn't work so well, did it?

Man.

If I got arrested every time I've been drunk and disorderly, I'd probably still be in jail.

My whole life was pretty much centered around partying and raising hell when I was in my teens and twenties.

Now, I just drink and complain about not having anything fun to do.

...And the Reds.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamMorris
    I can't believe that information can be pulled up on the web so easy!! That is scary!!
    I can see your point, but if you think of it, it would be even scarier if the police could lock you up without providing a public record.

As for the matter at hand...

I'm all for the "innocent until proven guilty" thing; but assuming this is legit (even if it was just minor mouthing off to a cop), I would have no problem with the Reds cutting ties with the guy.

Baseball is an entertainment product. The Reds' customers bring their kids to games. These customers, while knowing that baseball players aren't angels, are asked to get behind their team. Middle class fans are asked to forgo fiscal responsibility and buy season tickets, rather than choosing other entertainment options - or saving for their kids' college tuition.

I agree with M2 that this was probably minor. I personally don't really care. But every time the Ryan Freels of the world do this stuff, they risk alienating the fans who are on the fence about the product.

Baseball relies on the illusion that its players are heros, guys we want to cheer for. Ryan Freel endangers that illusion.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Article also said he refused his BAC...

He probably just took a whizz somewhere he shouldn't have.

We could always call him "Otis".

Ya know, that drunk guy that was always in Andy's jail?

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

This is exactly why every good drinker needs a Whitey Ford and not a Billy Martin. Although I would have paid $10k to go out with those guys for just one night. (And I hardly EVER drink!)
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    This is exactly why every good drinker needs a Whitey Ford and not a Billy Martin. Although I would have paid $10k to go out with those guys for just one night. (And I hardly EVER drink!)
    Yep.

Ballplayers should probably drink with a little more class.

Thing is, I'm not gonna get on somebody that got caught doing something I've done a gazillion times.

I like hearing stories about ballplayers and drinking and stuff. It's what they were put on this earth to do.

Turn Off Ads?