Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Freel arrested again

Glenn Braggs

Re: Freel arrested again

Who can blame him for getting a few in after the Aurilia signing. That would be the best excuse of all.

2. Turn Off Ads?

This might ruffle some feathers, but if I'm Castellini, I do every thing I can to get Lindner to cut him right now. Forget the money, set an example of discipline.

This team obviously needs that with Womack and Aurilia on it, not to mention all the young players coming up.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Several of you have talked about how we all have gotten drunk and it's no big deal. True. But I doubt many of us have been arrested 2 times in less than a year due to our drinking. Alcohol is a problem if it causes problems in your life, and it is doing that for Ryan.

If I had an employee who was arrested twice for drinking related incidents, I would insist he get help. For two reasons. First it sounds like he/she is on a path where he/she needs it and second because it reflects poorly on my organization.

I don't care if he's a garbage collector or a heart surgeon or a baseball player, it's the right thing to do for Ryan the man, and for the Reds.

Heck I would have been fired, no questions asked, after the first incident.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Being that I survived being hit by a drunk, I have very little respect for Freel. And yes, my opinion is very biased. Cut him, trade him, get him out.

Being drunk is a character falw. It is a problem. I drink beer, wine, etc, if it goes towards being drunk then there is a deeper issue at work and I am just letting myself go.

Free should not be on the opening day roster.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    Several of you have talked about how we all have gotten drunk and it's no big deal. True. But I doubt many of us have been arrested 2 times in less than a year due to our drinking. Alcohol is a problem if it causes problems in your life, and it is doing that for Ryan.

If I had an employee who was arrested twice for drinking related incidents, I would insist he get help. For two reasons. First it sounds like he/she is on a path where he/she needs it and second because it reflects poorly on my organization.

I don't care if he's a garbage collector or a heart surgeon or a baseball player, it's the right thing to do for Ryan the man, and for the Reds.

Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Leave it to Marc Lancaster to flesh out some details.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....601090328/1027

Reds' Freel arrested on alcohol charge

By Marc Lancaster
    Post staff reporter

Reds utilityman Ryan Freel was arrested early Sunday morning in Tampa, Fla., and charged with disorderly intoxication - his second arrest on alcohol-related charges in less than a year.

The arrest occurred at 3:35 a.m. and Freel, 29, was released from the Hillsborough County jail at 11:05 a.m. after posting a $250 bond, according to jail records.

Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said late Sunday night that team officials were still trying to piece together the events that led to the arrest. He said he would not comment until he had all the facts on the incident.

O'Brien said he had not spoken with Freel and that manager Jerry Narron had left Freel a message.

"I know that some other members of the organization have made contact," O'Brien said.

The Tampa Tribune cited a police report saying Freel smelled of alcohol and was slurring his words. According to that report, Freel refused to stop screaming obscenities at a pool hall employee, police were called, and Freel was arrested. Jail records indicate Freel refused to take a blood-alcohol content test.

The arrest occurred outside an establishment called The Rack, which is described on its Web site as "Tampa's first pool room-sushi hall."

Freel, a Jacksonville native who still lives in that North Florida city, avoided salary arbitration with the Reds on Dec. 19 and signed a two-year contract that will pay him at least $3 million. Freel will make $1.3 million this season after earning $405,000 last year.

Hours after the Reds' Opening Day victory over the New York Mets last April, Freel was arrested by police in Bellevue, Ky., and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol.

After originally pleading not guilty, Freel entered a guilty plea to the DUI charge May 10 in exchange for prosecutors dropping other charges from the incident, including one for having an open container of alcohol in his vehicle. He paid a fine, lost his driving privileges in Kentucky for 90 days and had to undergo an alcohol assessment program. He also had to enroll in the Reds' Employee Assistance Program, which provides counseling.

Freel declined to answer questions after that case was resolved, but he did release a statement through the Reds the day after he was arrested. It said in part, "I intend to handle this matter in an upright and honest fashion and will do everything in my power to assure that I never again find myself in this situation."
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

It's just like I always say. You cannot mix billiards and sushi.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

If he got arrested for domestic violence with his wife, would there be such a ruckus?
    I would just drop him if that was the case, but thats just me.

I'll wait for details, but i can say this much, what he did last year (at first glance) was far worse and all he got was a littl tickle on the wrist, so nothing will come of this.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Couldn't agree more. Once is an an accident twice is a pattern. He may be an alcoholic and having him go to rehab could save his - or someone else's - life. He may not like it now but he may eventually be grateful.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan

Being drunk is a character falw. It is a problem. I drink beer, wine, etc, if it goes towards being drunk then there is a deeper issue at work and I am just letting myself go.
    Okely Dokely.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Couldn't agree more. Once is an an accident twice is a pattern. He may be an alcoholic and having him go to rehab could save his - or someone else's - life. He may not like it now but he may eventually be grateful.
    Here, here...I'll drink to that!
    uh....nevermind

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Not that The Reds Report needs to toot its own horn or anything, but I'll quickly note that in the 12/20 edition, I broke the news that Womack had been acquired, and that Ryan Freel had started drinking again.

You can look it up.

Makes all the routine posts.

Don't see this as a big deal. He got drunk and cursed at some pool hall people. Was too stupid to shut up after the cops showed up (or leave before they showed up).

No reason to cut the guy. And I don't believe the arguement that it will hurt PR because people bring their kids to the game. There's much worse people in pro sports, and it doesn't seem to ever turn the fans away.

Why cut someone for drinking in the offseason?
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Why cut someone for drinking in the offseason?
    Yep, they're ballplayers, not saints nor saivors, last time I checked drinking was legal.

Maybe being a jerk is a problem for Freel... maybe he's was drunk and picked the fight with Jimenez at the team party 2 years ago too.

Whatever, baseball and booze have a history that intertwines with each other, one that is much deeper and richer than the one they have hot dogs and crackerjacks, with that history comes knee jerk reactions to bad situations involving booze from both players and fans.

Along with the mandatory dose of rightousness or dismissiveness.
    Last edited by westofyou; 01-09-2006 at 11:52 AM.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Amen.

When I accepted the job I have now, it was made very clear to me that management couldn't care less about my private life, unless it effected my job performance. Being a somewhat visable public figure, I had certain responsibilities that could be compromised by my public behavior and that was included. No one was going to invest money with me if I was constantly drunk and disorderly, for instance. Not only would it reflect poorly on me, but the corporation, too.

Ryan is in the same position. He not only has problems, but he is reflecting poorly on the Reds. If your work at say Jones Hardware, you can get by (and that aludes to all the stories of what we've done), but if you're in the public eye, it changes. I would demand he get help supervised by the Reds or cut him. No excuses.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?