Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Freel arrested again

Re: Freel arrested again

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan
    Being drunk is a character falw.
    As is being judgmental. :

*snortle*
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yep, he's a baseball player. If he was screaming on the field and acting like a jerk he should get benched. If he's not playing well, it's the coaches job to replace him with someone better. Firing everyone everywhere for what they do on their own time is invasion of privacy. On the job you do your best, when you're at home you do what YOU do at home, not what big brother tells you to do. Get over it, this whole discussion is not about baseball, it's about being judgemental of others life styles. I want everyone here to take blood levels every other day and be on live cam surveilance for 12 months a year. We can constantly evaluate everyones, off the job personal activities, and fire anyone we don't think is living up to our personal standards as well as have them in counciling of our individual choices. This should be interesting don't you think. Let's get started, we can evaluate in alphabetical order........ we better get started.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 37red
    Yep, he's a baseball player. If he was screaming on the field and acting like a jerk he should get benched. If he's not playing well, it's the coaches job to replace him with someone better. Firing everyone everywhere for what they do on their own time is invasion of privacy.
    I do not agree. Especially if you are a pubic figure (and MLB players are that, like it or not... goes with the BIG salary). There is nothing private about being arrested TWICE IN PUBLIC.

This is not about whether he is religious or moral or anything like that. This is about the dummy getting arrested TWICE in a 9-month period for excessive alcohol consumption. NOT AT HOME. Once in an auto and once on a PUBLIC corner at 3:30 am. There is a huge difference between this and what you describe.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    He listed unemployed?

You think he knows something we dont?
    If you worked for the reds, wouldn't you do the same?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

What is it about my city? Everything bad happens here. Strawberry, Gooden, Freel, Debra LaFave,the Carolina Panthers cheerleaders - oh wait, those last two were actually good, what am I talking about?
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

Yep, he's a baseball player. If he was screaming on the field and acting like a jerk he should get benched. If he's not playing well, it's the coaches job to replace him with someone better. Firing everyone everywhere for what they do on their own time is invasion of privacy. On the job you do your best, when you're at home you do what YOU do at home, not what big brother tells you to do. Get over it, this whole discussion is not about baseball, it's about being judgemental of others life styles. I want everyone here to take blood levels every other day and be on live cam surveilance for 12 months a year. We can constantly evaluate everyones, off the job personal activities, and fire anyone we don't think is living up to our personal standards as well as have them in counciling of our individual choices. This should be interesting don't you think. Let's get started, we can evaluate in alphabetical order........ we better get started.
    Great post.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I agree. I don't even care about this. If he has a personal problem it isn't my business, and I've never thought his played was compromised by anything other than a lack of self-control, which may factor into his drinking, too. As to making a judgement he has a drinking problem, well, that is a leap. He may, but to decide that based on 2 occurances that may or may not be flukes is premature.

If he can get on base and field decently, I say let it go.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

If he can get on base and field decently, I say let it go.
    The Waner Brothers thank you.

Get over it, this whole discussion is not about baseball, it's about being judgemental of others life styles.
    Meanwhile, the board is littered with appraisals of this or that major leaguer's skills using terms such as trash, garbage, pile of faeces, etc.

So who gets to judge who?

Freel has been breaking the law. He needs to stop it.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Firing everyone everywhere for what they do on their own time is invasion of privacy. On the job you do your best, when you're at home you do what YOU do at home, not what big brother tells you to do. Get over it, this whole discussion is not about baseball, it's about being judgemental of others life styles.
    Come on. He got arrested for being drunk and disorderly IN PUBLIC. That is not an evasion of privacy. He is a public figure that represents a franchise that appeals to the public.

What kind of signal does that send to the fans or players in the minors? Go ahead and get arrested, heck, do whatever you want, just make sure you're really fast and play good defense come April.

That is so bogus. You are making this discussion about other things than baseball. If it were just about baseball than cutting the guy would be a viable option. It should be. Suspension at the least. In BASEBALL, you need to show discipline and resolve to follow through.

I have no problem with a guy going home and drinking a few beers now and again. Breaking the law is what I have a problem with, and he has now done it twice in the last year. There needs to be discipline.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Well said, 37. Dare I say
    Last edited by Spitball; 01-09-2006 at 04:18 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Wonder if some of you will be so cavalier if next time he’s drunk he gets in a car and kills someone’s kid.

And there will be a next time. He learned nothing from the first time.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    Wonder if some of you will be so cavalier if next time heís drunk he gets in a car and kills someoneís kid.

And there will be a next time. He learned nothing from the first time.
    Could not have said any better, Creek.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

But he wasn't driving. He was, according to Fay's article, in a bar. If this were his second DUI, I'd agree that he needs to be cut/ traded/ et al. However, to say that he "learned nothing" from his first encounter is not necessarily true.

College friends (and some adults I've worked with) have been caught driving under the influence. In each case, they've stopped driving drunk, but not quit drinking.

To say he has a drinking problem? My Magic 8-Ball says, "Check back later."

Creek, I wouldn't want to see anyone die from a careless driver, drunk or on a cell phone, no one would. You suggest that by firing a baseball player or someone else from their job, you will stop such a terrible thing from happening, I think you're simplifying the problem. We have laws in place to discourage people from doing harm to others. Baseball isn't Disney World, it's baseball, it's a competitive game. People go to watch the game to see a talented young team of players out play the other team. We don't go to sporting events to cheer someones life style or judge their intension to not hurt another person. If that was the case we would be paying Sean Casey and Barry Larkin a hefty bonus to represent Cincinnati instead of looking for better baseball players. Adults and kids watching football and hockey players intentionally hit, scream at and boast of crushing another player isn't exactly a good example of how to act. Violence is a major problem all across the country, should we endorse it on the TV supported with advertising, singing God Bless America and having girls in scanty skirts leading cheers as it goes on? Baseball is pretty tame and is upheld on the field with good sportsmanship. If a player has what might be problems at home he should leave them there and so should we. Once again, we have laws to deal with people that are bad, if Freel gets thrown in jail I don't think you'll have to worry about him playing the vicious game of baseball in front of your family. I'm not trying to suggest that drinking and driving is a good thing, it isn't, I used to work in a funeral home, and I understand your concern.

Turn Off Ads?