Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tomko Reds Closer??

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Tomko Reds Closer??

Before He Signed With The Dodgers The Reds Ask Brett Tomko To Become The Reds Closer.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...80423/1071/SPT

The intriguing case to me is Tomko's.

The Reds wanted to give him a chance to revive his career as a reliever, hoping to take advantage of his good stuff - stuff that tends to fade late in a game.

But Tomko chose to go to the Dodgers, where he'll be in the starting rotation.

Very Interesting..

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tomko Reds Closer??

Yep, more and more evidence to support that a) any fix that's going to be coming is going to be a weird shoehorning job with washed-up vets (see: Aurilia, Rich) and b) we're most likely stuck with DanO *at least* till the deadline, and most importantly, through another draft.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I saw that report also. It is a very weird scouting analysis on the Reds part. It also was ineffective in getting Tomko's interest. Which is not necessarily all bad...

It didn't say closer, but it's mighty frightening to think of Tomko in a Reds uniform again.

I'll tell ya, that Dan O'Brien....He really comes up with some doozeys, don't he?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Now that I think about it, the idea that somehow the Reds would have the "luxury" of placing Tomko in the bullpen as opposed to the 3rd spot in the rotation is absurd.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

take a chance on becoming a closer for the first time on a team that *might* win 70 games. brilliant sales pitch!

way to woo those free agents DanO!
    School's out. What did you expect?

Tomko as closer is like Danny Graves as a starter. We all know how that worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5
    Tomko as closer is like Danny Graves as a starter. We all know how that worked out.
    Tomko has bounced around more than Anna Nicole Smith on a trampoline!
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

My only interest in bringing Tomko back to Cincinnati would be to put him on trial for crimes against humanity committed during the 1999 season.

And the desire to bring him back to town I can only describe as satanic.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Bring Tomko back!What is this GM thinking?Enough is enough.
    Last edited by Jr's Boy; 01-10-2006 at 01:49 AM.

The Reds want to bring every pitcher back as a reliever. I'd be surprised if DanO hasn't had the same thoughts about Clemens because he also tends to
    wear down late in the game.

Under this theory, all the Reds starters should be relievers because none of them can go 9 innings regularly.

This comment from management really goes far in seeing why the Reds have the worst pitching in baseball.

I'd like to point out again (just for the sake of accuracy) that nowhere in that article does it say they wanted to make Tomko a closer.

It just say reliever. Not closer.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

DanO's smart. Like Wile E. Coyote smart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    DanO's smart. Like Wile E. Coyote smart.
    bet he gets his binders from the Acme Company.

Quote Originally Posted by Centralchamps05
    The Reds want to bring every pitcher back as a reliever. I'd be surprised if DanO hasn't had the same thoughts about Clemens because he also tends to
    wear down late in the game.

Under this theory, all the Reds starters should be relievers because none of them can go 9 innings regularly.

This comment from management really goes far in seeing why the Reds have the worst pitching in baseball.
    Hey, that's DanO's philosophy for the minor leagues!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?