Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chad Johnson and WR coach involved in halftime fight?

Re: Chad Johnson and WR coach involved in halftime fight?

While another thread accuses worship of our QB, there seems to be some man-love for Hines Ward out there. Is it his winsome smile? Whoopty do, he blocks downfield. As if he is the only wideout doing such a thing. Many of them just can't, its a skill, moreso than they don't want to.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Holding out in training camp for a better contract has been going on since Vince Lombardi was coaching. Even the great Pete Rose held out in spring training to get a better deal.

The one thing about Hines Ward was you didn't hear him complain to the media about it....unlike Terrell Owens who made it a three-ring circus.

You have to wonder if Chad Johnson will eventually go down the same road T.O. has?
    I never said that holdouts were rare. Boomer just shouldn't imply that Hines Ward is "above the fray" where that is concerned--'cause he ain't. When it is all said and done, Hines still wants his green...regardless of what it might have to do with the teams chances to compete.

Just because the guy is a possession receiver who always maintains his blocks more than 5 yards up field doesn't qualify him for sainthood status.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    I never said that holdouts were rare. Boomer just shouldn't imply that Hines Ward is "above the fray" where that is concerned--'cause he ain't. When it is all said and done, Hines still wants his green...regardless of what it might have to do with the teams chances to compete.

Just because the guy is a possession receiver who always maintains his blocks more than 5 yards up field doesn't qualify him for sainthood status.
    But if I'm the Bengals, I would be more concern Chad Johnson could end up going down the road similar to Owens. Owens was so disruptive that it killed the Eagles's season. Now you hear this about Johnson and the halftime fiasco and you have to wonder if the Bengals will have the same problems the 49ers and Eagles did with Owens.

Why you would be more concern about what someone says about Hines Ward is beyond me. You have bigger problems on your team right now with Palmer, Johnson and the defense.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by KRUSTY
    But if I'm the Bengals, I would be more concern Chad Johnson could end up going down the road similar to Owens. Owens was so disruptive that it killed the Eagles's season. Now you hear this about Johnson and the halftime fiasco and you have to wonder if the Bengals will have the same problems the 49ers and Eagles did with Owens.

Why you would be more concern about what someone says about Hines Ward is beyond me. You have bigger problems on your team right now with Palmer, Johnson and the defense.
    Exactly.

As much as I like Marvin Lewis, IMO, he shows his "weakness" of appeasing player conduct just because the player is talented. And es, I know it occurs around the NFL; but that does not mean it is right.

But why is going after Ward or Roethlisberger (even if it may be justified), or pointing out any previous behavior they may have had, somehow justify or deflect what probably occurred in that Bengal lockerroom?
    Last edited by GAC; 01-12-2006 at 10:29 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I'd be more concerned that other players are talking to the media about what is going on in the lockerroom at halftime.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Boomer's point may not be technically correct but I believe what he means is that Ward doesn't complain publicly when the ball isn't thrown to him. He may have complained about being underpaid or that his wife didn't make pancakes for him the other morning but that stuff is irrelevant to how a player acts on the field. I'm sure Ward isn't happy if he doesn't get the ball as often as he likes. The same goes for Marvin Harrison and I'm sure Jerry Rice felt the same way. It's an ego thing which is not necessarily bad. Everyone has an ego. Everyone takes pride in things they do well and wants to succeed. But some people have bigger egos than others.

You're going to have to take the bad with the good if you are a Chad Johnson/Bengals fan. He has a delightful personality. He likes to make the game fun and he does a lot of other good things as well. He works hard at what he does and while he does enjoy the attention he receives he doesn't seem to be the kind of player (T.O.) who is Me Me Me. He doesn't cause problems off the field. But I believe his number one priority is getting the ball thrown to him often. Perhaps he really believes that ther more often the ball is thrown to him the better chance the Bengals have winning the game. Even if he's double or triple-covered he still feels he should get the ball. That's a lot of hubris there. Of course if the ball is intercepted when he's covered by more than one person it isn't his fault. He didn't throw the ball. If the Bengals lose and he gets two TDs he's not happy the Bengals lost but he got his scores and got to do his dances so everything is right with the world. I get to listen to a bit of the show he does with Furman on Thursday nights. I think this TD dance thing is getting a bit out of control. People call in and mostly what they want to talk about is what kind of a dance is Chad going to do on Sunday. Naturally, Chad is happy to accomodate them. Sure you get the occassional fuddy-duddy who just wants him to hand the ball to the official. But the focus is more on the dance after the score and not necessarily about what the Bengals need to do in order to win that week or even how Chad prepares for a game.

I would wager that if Chad played for PIT or CLE or any other team, most of you wouldn't find his actions so amusing. Like I said, you're going to have to take the good with the bad with him if you are really a fan of his. If he holds out for more money you don't necessarily have to support him but a real fan of his won't throw him under the bus either. If he makes a fuss about not getting enough balls thrown to him, that's just Chad being Chad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

But if I'm the Bengals
    But you're not.. you're a STEELERS fan.

Now, go the St.Louis Cardinals board and start telling them "what you're concerned about" concerning their team.

Let me know how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty

Just for the sake of accuracy...I never said I was "more concerned about" what Boomer said about Ward. Those words belong to you. I just said it was garbage for Esiason to single Ward out as a boy scout. Period.

Secondly, the Bengals aren't my team--that would be the Dolphins. So, I couldn't care less what impact this incident might have within the locker room.

In fact, I suggested on this board a month or so ago (in ORH's thread about his endzone theatrics) that Chad Johnson may not be the media darling that some people think. Let's just say my opinion was vehemently defended by certain Chad supporters who are, now, notably absent from this discussion.
    Last edited by Blimpie; 01-12-2006 at 10:47 AM.

Cowher went after more than just Lewis.

“The last thing we ever do is comment on things that their players say,” Cowher said. “I could have a whole press conference with some of the things that come from that team. I would like to think it was said out of frustration.”
    Oh, please, Cowher, just stop. You let your guy pull up his shirt during pregame like some unusual tribal ritual, several of your players ran around the field ganging up on TJ to start the game in an obvious attempt to intimidate, on the heels of the Palmer injury, which some eyewitnesses say caused some jocularity on the sidelines with your players. Plus, you spit all over the place when you talk and stalk the sidelines as if you're suffering from lycanthropy (our word for the day ).

Go Indy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Exactly.

As much as I like Marvin Lewis, IMO, he shows his "weakness" of appeasing player conduct just because the player is talented. And es, I know it occurs around the NFL; but that does not mean it is right.

But why is going after Ward or Roethlisberger (even if it may be justified), or pointing out any previous behavior they may have had, somehow justify or deflect what probably occurred in that Bengal lockerroom?
    You've got to be kidding, my friend. Is Takeo Spikes talented? Is Corey Dillon talented? Rudi Johnson did not start the season opener because he was habitually late. Reggie Myles, one of the best ST player since they picked him up, was cut in the middle of this year for what seemed to clearly be disciplinary reasons. Duane Clemons has seemingly been in the doghouse ever since he had to sit out for substance abuse, again. I don't think there's much doubt as to who has control of the team, and I think Boomer is out of place for calling out Marvin like he did. And I'm imagining that has been duly noted by Lewis as well.

BTW, how's things going for the Brownies?

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Are football fans, or as we don our football fan hats, more passionate about their teams and, especially, the losses? Or as Reds fans, have we just become accustomed to suckitude?

Just wondering that having read through the threads realting to Sunday's game.
    Last edited by deltachi8; 01-12-2006 at 11:27 AM.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor

BTW, how's things going for the Brownies?
    Ouch! We'll be better next year. Savage has said that he thinks Frye should be the starting QB next season. I'm still not sold on him though.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    Are football fans, or as we don our football fan hats, more pssionate about their teams and, especially, the losses? Or as Reds fans, have we just become accustomed to suckitude?

Just wondering that having read through the threads realting to Sunday's game.
    I think under the current Reds management group, we've become accustomed to the suckitude.

But where does Cowher deny that his players don't say or do some of the antics you state? Look at what he says - “The last thing we ever do is comment on things that their players say,” Cowher said. “I could have a whole press conference with some of the things that come from that team. I would like to think it was said out of frustration.”

IMO, he wasn't exempting his team, or any team. But it's the Bengals, and their fans, who are, after this incident, saying that the Steelers players do this, and the Steelers players say that.... as if the Bengal's players aren't ever guilty of trash talking and various antics during pre-game, when the cameras aren't on, or even afterwards?

Lets take the "halo" of some of these Bengal players too. I've seen not only Johnson, But Henry and TJ do there share also.

There is way to much taunting and excessive celebration going on around the NFL. And I stated on an earlier thread on this subject that it can come back to haunt ANY team and promotes the very atmosphere we are currently seeing.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Football lends itself to not quickly getting over bitter defeats since the games are only once a week. In my younger days, I would be a mess for a week after the Buckeyes lost. Its also bad when they lose The Game because you have a month before getting back on the horse in the Bowl Game. Since this one took us to the offseason and was at the hands of a team that was already easy to hate, I think some dark sides have been exposed....including my own.

Turn Off Ads?