Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chad Johnson and WR coach involved in halftime fight?

Re: Chad Johnson and WR coach involved in halftime fight?

Let's say that there was no fight but Chad did make a stink about not getting enough balls thrown to him - which it sounds like he doesn't deny. Does this bother you if you're a Bengals fan? Is this another sign of what seems to be a common trait amongst the star WRs in the NFL that damn the results just get me the ball?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Let's say that there was no fight but Chad did make a stink about not getting enough balls thrown to him - which it sounds like he doesn't deny. Does this bother you if you're a Bengals fan? Is this another sign of what seems to be a common trait amongst the star WRs in the NFL that damn the results just get me the ball?
    No, Chad wants the ball to help his team win.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

based on the above, i have no doubt an altercation happened. but i think it's totally laughable to think that Chad could have thrown a punch, especially at Lewis, and even be seen on the sidelines the second half.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Is this another sign of what seems to be a common trait amongst the star WRs in the NFL that damn the results just get me the ball?
    Rudy Johnson aluded to the same thing more than once this year, and more than once last year. I gotta see the ball more. He is a competitor and Chad is a nuisance. I don't get it.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    No, Chad wants the ball to help his team win.
    What's more important to him, getting the ball or winning? Seems to me it's the former. And that's not necessarily a knock on him it's just how he is. If the Bengals win 21-0 and do it mostly on the ground with Rudi getting 3 TDs, you think Chad is going to be happy if he only gets 1 or 2 balls thrown to him in that game? If he doesn't get the ball he can't score and he can't do his dances and he can't get any attention that way. Bengals fans are going to have to accept him for what he is, good or bad.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

For a Level Playing Field

What's more important to him, getting the ball or winning? Seems to me it's the former. And that's not necessarily a knock on him it's just how he is. If the Bengals win 21-0 and do it mostly on the ground with Rudi getting 3 TDs, you think Chad is going to be happy if he only gets 1 or 2 balls thrown to him in that game? If he doesn't get the ball he can't score and he can't do his dances and he can't get any attention that way. Bengals fans are going to have to accept him for what he is, good or bad.
    I agree with this assessment. It has worried me as a Bengals fan for the last couple of seasons.

When we think of troublesome-yet-very-talented-WR, we usually put T.O. on the top of the heap. Chad is not a T.O.. Chad treats the game with fun... T.O. as a business. But Chad always seems to be one-step from getting a T.O. reputation from NFL fans. And that scares me!

Something definitely happened in that lockerroom at halftime w/ Chad. How severe and the nitty-gritty details will probably never be known by the public. I do not like these things happening, but I try to remind myself that football is a very emotional game.

And let us remember not to trust anything coming from an unnamed source. And remember the names of reporters who try to turn this into something that it may not be. If it was a real big thing, you'd think a man like Marvin will do something about it. And that is the good thing for Bengals fans. Marvin does not seem to tolerate BS.

Beware of soap-opera-luvin' reporters! :thumbdown

Winning, which he believes is a function of him getting the ball. I think that he simply is a guy that thinks he's open on every play and the comments have more effect on you than they do his teammates. I have read instance after instance where the players say things like "we feed off Chad, not our style, but his attitude is infectous." That's what his teammates have to say. He is flamboyant, but I don't interpret the comments as "me, me." Rather, "I know if I get the ball, this team's chances of winning greatly increase.

Chad was upset about Jon Kitna's apparent man-love for Kevin Walter. There were other receivers on the field, but Kitna apparently only felt comfortable throwing to Walter.

And Chad's main goal every game is for a Bengal victory, he just felt that they would have a better shot if he and TJ were getting the ball as well as Walter.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Where there is smoke there is fire folks.

Bengals radio analyst Dave Lapham said a player on the Bengals' offense confirmed that a confrontation did occur at halftime between Johnson and members of the coaching staff. Lapham also said on the radio that more than one defensive player told him that they heard a disturbance.

Lapham said the players, who did not want to be identified, told him, "Just basically that ... definitely (something) went down."

" 'We're telling you, this is not B.S.,' " Lapham said players told him.

John Thornton, reached Tuesday morning, said, "I can't confirm or deny anything that happened in the locker room."

Both Jackson and Lewis, who had messages left for them, have yet to return the calls.

Question: If this did not occur, then why wouldn't the coaching staff, and Johnson's fellow teammates be out their denying it and putting it to rest?

Why all these "no comments"? To simply use the reasoning or excuse that they aren't responding because they don't want to "flame" a rumor - which is already flamed by the way - is ridiculous and making it worse (if it didn't happen).

If it's not true, then you'd want to stamp it out and disprove it immediately, and at least come to the defense of the player who is innocent.

Who all was there standing behind Johnson at that press conference in support?

It's terrible PR by this organization if it didn't occur.

Me thinks it did though, knowing Johnson's history.

And if it is proven true, then what does that say of Johnson now that he has had a press conference denying it all, and said he was getting an IV?
    Last edited by GAC; 01-12-2006 at 04:45 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Chad was upset about Jon Kitna's apparent man-love for Kevin Walter. There were other receivers on the field, but Kitna apparently only felt comfortable throwing to Walter.

And Chad's main goal every game is for a Bengal victory, he just felt that they would have a better shot if he and TJ were getting the ball as well as Walter.
    The Steelers aren't stupid though. They lost their QB and Henry. They dbl'd up on the other two, shortened the field because of Kitna's arm, and basically said that if you're gonna beat us, you're gonna do it with Walter (who's played how much this year?).

That's nobody's fault.

Johnson pulled this crap earlier in the year when TJ was out, and turned on his QB for not throwing him the ball when dbl covered. Remember? You take out TJ and that simply helps defenses cover the other talent easily. You take out your starting QB (who has the stronger/accurate arm versus Kitna), along with a talent like Henry, and guess what - you just shortened the field, took out the deep threat.

Johnson's logic? "I don't care if they have 3 guys on me, it ain't gonna matter 'cause I'm that good. Sometimes I wish I wasn't that good. But you gotta throw me the ball! "

Maybe they should have. And after a few more Kitna INT's trying to do so, then what would Chad say?

This is a guy who liked to make a list of all the defenders he burns and can't stop him. Then when they do, he whines that they aren't throwing him the ball.

When is this guy gonna learn that when you spout off and pull some of the antics like he does that it just paints a target on you with the opposition (including the media)?

He's a very talented player. No one denies he wants to win. But his ego, his mouth, and selfish attitude (It's all about me - I can do it all) is gonna continue to be troublesome in the future for this team. And that is very sad because he is a talent no doubt.

He is gonna wear thin in Cincy sooner or later IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

There might be truth to this story because Boomer Esaison is confirming it too.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_412642.html

Bengals in disarray during, after loss

Tools Print this article
    E-mail this article
    Subscribe to this paper
    Larger / Smaller Text

By Mike Prisuta
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, January 12, 2006

Former Bengals quarterback Boomer Esiason chastised Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis and criticized wide receiver Chad Johnson on Wednesday in the wake of the Bengals' 31-17 playoff loss to the Steelers.
    Boomer's beef with Lewis involved a postgame declaration that the Bengals weren't going to "cry" about Kimo von Oelhoffen knocking Carson Palmer out of Sunday's game, "like their quarterback did."

That was going too far, in Esiason's estimation.

"Absolutely, because Marvin Lewis has his own problems," Esiason said during an appearance on the WDVE-FM Morning Show. "They had a huge fight in that locker room at halftime. It's the truth, flat out. (Wide receiver) Chad Johnson got into it with their wide receivers coach, Hue Jackson. (Wide receiver) T. J. Houshmandzadeh and Marvin came over to break it up and Chad was uncontrollable.

"So, Marvin Lewis should just worry about his own team."

Johnson denied taking a swing at Lewis on Tuesday, after profootballtalk.com posted a report detailing a halftime altercation.

Esiason maintained Johnson became upset after catching two passes for 30 yards during a first half that ended with the Bengals leading, 17-14.

Johnson wound up with four receptions for 59 yards and failed to catch a touchdown pass for the third time in three games against the Steelers this season.

"He wanted the ball more, screaming and yelling," Esiason said. "Guys are trying to tell him calm down; we're all in this together; your quarterback's hurt. I mean, show a little professionalism, for crying out loud.

"He's a knucklehead. He's a wide receiver in the NFL. Not everybody can be Hines Ward. If I could have 100 Hines Wards on my team, we would never lose a game. The bottom line is that (Ward) is the quintessential, unselfish, tremendous football player that every wide receiver should be like. He never complains. He blocks downfield. He understands his role in the offense and he just loves winning."

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger expressed surprise yesterday when responding to Lewis' charge.

"You don't expect that coming from a guy like that," Roethlisberger said. "Obviously, he was a little frustrated, but I don't remember complaining.

"It's just unfortunate coming from a guy like that."

Steelers coach Bill Cowher had addressed Lewis' remark Tuesday, saying "I would like to think it was said out of frustration."

Roethlisberger had called a hit to the knee by Cincinnati linebacker Odell Thurman in the Bengals' 38-31 victory over the Steelers on Dec. 4 at Heinz Field "a little dirty."

Replays confirmed Thurman was tripped on his way to the backfield by Steelers center Jeff Hartings and fell into Roethlisberger.

Thurman was penalized 15 yards for roughing the passer.

Esiason believes the Bengals have a problem with the Steelers in general.

"Pittsburgh is their measuring stick because Pittsburgh runs the team much like the Bengals run their team," he said. "It's family owned, but yet Pittsburgh for all these years has owned them and basically has been a more competitive franchise.

"I think Marvin should just worry about losing the game and controlling his own team as opposed to taking on other players."

Mike Prisuta can be reached at
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

"He's a knucklehead. He's a wide receiver in the NFL. Not everybody can be Hines Ward. If I could have 100 Hines Wards on my team, we would never lose a game. The bottom line is that (Ward) is the quintessential, unselfish, tremendous football player that every wide receiver should be like. He never complains. He blocks downfield. He understands his role in the offense and he just loves winning."
    Doesn't complain? I guess Boomer forgot all about Hines Ward and his training camp hold out.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Doesn't complain? I guess Boomer forgot all about Hines Ward and his training camp hold out.
    Holding out in training camp for a better contract has been going on since Vince Lombardi was coaching. Even the great Pete Rose held out in spring training to get a better deal.

The one thing about Hines Ward was you didn't hear him complain to the media about it....unlike Terrell Owens who made it a three-ring circus.

You have to wonder if Chad Johnson will eventually go down the same road T.O. has?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    I was about to say the same thing. And you can add his moaning a year before that about his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    The one thing about Hines Ward was you didn't hear him complain to the media about it
    Ya, he did, it was all over the Pittsburgh papers.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Roethelsburger doesn't remember. I like that the quote was put in the article. Boomer has his opinion but sounds like he has been talking to Lapham, and he told two friends, and so on, and so on. I guess Boomer doesn't remember the ups and downs (and crappy attitudes at times, including his own) of the squads he played on with Wicky Wacky, eh?

I don't expect any apologies from Marvin, either. He's starting to experience the short end of the stick of disrespect from officials we've all been watching for years.

Turn Off Ads?