Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What Reds minor league team's pitching do you like?

What Reds minor league team's pitching do you like?

Kind of a loaded question, I know.

Based on 2005 numbers, I'd have to say Sarasota for me. Medlock, Pelland, Valdez, even Edens is starting to pitch well. Medlock should go to AA this year, and sadly, Pelland will likely join him (though he should repeat High A.) Valdez should also repeat, as he struggled in AA, but Basham made the progression quite nicely, and will probably be ticketed for AAA. Guevara and Barreto both had nice numbers in relief and both had more K's than IP.

Since we won't really know who is going where in 2006 until April, looking back I have to say Sarasota was the Reds best pitching club.
    Suck it up cupcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: What Reds minor league team's pitching do you like?

Basham needs a push to AAA ASAP. Phil Dumatrait and David Shafer may very well be there too, and Kyle Edens needs to be challenged (as he's already 25-26). Other candidates to move up from Chattanooga are righties Bubba Nelson, Jeff Bruksch (who should be made a full-time reliever), Brad Salmon, and Jeremy and Cuban lefty Arian Cruz. Righty Josh Hall will likely be pitching at AAA in 2006.

Medlock will move to AA and pitch alongside the repeating Travis Chick and hopefully healthy Richie Gardner and Thomas Pauly (expect both to be at extended spring training for at least the first part of '06). Expect Jim Paduch, Justin Mallett, and Brock Till to move up to Chattanooga as well, and hopefully Carlos Guevara can keep his momentum going as the Lookouts closer. Eddy Valdez isn't realistically a prospect, so I think he'll be put in the fifth starter-long relief role at Chattanooga. Some other possible members of the Chattanooga bullpen are Blake Hendley, Juan Frias, Joel Barreto (who will hopefully be back from injury), and Brad Cherry. Not sure where the lefty is going to come from, unless Matt McWilliams can bounce back from elbow surgery that cost him the 2005 season.

Homer Bailey should be plunked at Sarasota and left there for awhile. Joining him should be lefty Camilo Vazquez and righties Jon George and Ramon Ramirez. 2005 third-rounder Zach Ward may start as high as the FSL, if what I've read is worth believing.

In the bullpen, righties Brad Morenko, Jared Sanders, and Carlos Bohorquez and lefty Charles O'Neal will likely see time. I think Pelland should remain in High-A to start the season, but I think you're right- I think he's getting the bump.

Dayton will have a nice crop of 2005 draftees to add to lefty Phil Valiquette and righty Rafael Gonzalez. Look for the Dragons to get better than 60-79 in 2006.
    Last edited by Doc. Scott; 01-11-2006 at 04:15 PM.

Turn Off Ads?