Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Red Sox acquire Julian Tavarez

Red Sox acquire Julian Tavarez

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5239404

Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com
    Posted: 29 minutes ago

The Red Sox, making another move to bolster their late-inning relief, have reached terms free-agent right-hander Julian Tavarez on a two-year contract with a vesting option, FOXSports.com has learned.

The deal is contingent on Tavarez passing a physical.

Tavarez, 32, will join fellow right-handers Mike Timlin, Guillermo Mota and Rudy Seanez among the Red Sox's revamped setup corps, giving the team further protection if closer Keith Foulke does not return to form.

Foulke, 33, had arthroscopic surgery last July 7 to repair cartilage in his left knee, then was shut down for the season in late September. Tavarez was 19-for-26 in save opportunities the past three seasons with the Pirates and Cardinals.

The Mets expressed early interest in Tavarez, but reportedly were put off by his request for a four-year deal. Tavarez pitched effectively in two seasons with the Cardinals, averaging 76 appearances and posting a 2.89 ERA.

Ken Rosenthal is the senior baseball writer for FOXSports.com.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Red Sox acquire Julian Tavarez

Too bad the Reds didn't chase after him, maybe the 2.89 ERA was a little less that DanO wanted.....
    Let's make some noise!

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_CaseyRules
    Too bad the Reds didn't chase after him, maybe the 2.89 ERA was a little less that DanO wanted.....
    More like the salary commanded by Julian was a lot more than DanO and John Allen wanted. We can be sure it wasn't the fact that Julian was hurt part of last season. That never stops the REDS as long as the price is right.

Then again... maybe Julian would not even think of coming to a team like the REDS. I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Then again... maybe Julian would not even think of coming to a team like the REDS. I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised.
    Hopefully we don't turn into one of "THOSE" teams. :thumbdown
    Let's make some noise!

Damon for Julian - Roster wise it's a Beauty and the Beast moment in Boston, many women are crying at the memory and the future.

Think he'd like a little more bang for his buck?

DanO: "You know, people don't come to the ballpark to watch a bunch of outs."
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I would rather see a low scoring gaem and the reds lose, then what we saw last year......
    Let's make some noise!

I would rather see a low scoring gaem and the reds lose, then what we saw last year......
    We proved how far a really crappy pitching staff can carry you.... no where... cant wait for the new ownership maybe they will realize it and we will start finding good pitching...

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Damon for Julian - Roster wise it's a Beauty and the Beast moment in Boston, many women are crying at the memory and the future.
    Yeah, Julian's not exactly Mr. Charm, is he?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Nine, ten, never sleep again.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Since the ugliness factor of Julian Tavarez came up, can anyone figure out for me why in the world Mike Timlin looks like an ugly old guy on the mound, but looks like an attractive youngish man when in his street clothes? It's the most amazing thing, you would never recognize him.

Turn Off Ads?