Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Joe Valentine is now an Astro

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Joe Valentine is now an Astro

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...2005&fext=.jsp
    Astros sign reliever Valentine
    01/11/2006 7:16 PM ET By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- The Astros announced on Wednesday that they signed right-handed pitcher Joe Valentine to a Minor League contract with an invitation to Major League Spring Training. Valentine, 26, was 0-1 with an 8.16 ERA over 16 games for the Cincinnati Reds in 2005. In 42 career big league appearances between 2003 and 2005 with the Reds, Valentine was 2-4 with a 6.70 ERA and four saves.

In 49 appearances for Triple-A Louisville in 2005, Valentine was 0-7 with a 5.70 ERA and three saves.

Valentine is the eighth player to sign a Minor League contract and garner an invite to big league camp. The list also includes left-hander Carlos Hernandez, right-handers Dave Borkowski and Steve Sparks, and infielders Danny Klassen, Eric Munson and Kevin Orie and catcher Alan Zinter.

Jared Gothreaux, already in the Astros' Minor League system, was also invited to big league camp.

Astros pitchers and catchers report to Kissimmee, Fla., on Feb. 17 and work out on Feb. 18. Position players report Feb. 23 and the first full-squad workout is scheduled for Feb. 24.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Re: Joe Valentine is now an Astro

In 42 career big league appearances between 2003 and 2005 with the Reds, Valentine was 2-4 with a 6.70 ERA and four saves.

In 49 appearances for Triple-A Louisville in 2005, Valentine was 0-7 with a 5.70 ERA and three saves.
    And with that I say, "Goodbye and don't let the door hit ya in the buttocks on your way out." I can remember Joe being mentioned as the "key player" in the Jose Guillen to Oakland trade. What a bust he turned out to be in the end. The REDS have had plenty of bad pitchers lately, but Joe seemed to be one of the worst.... and that is not a good thing to have on your resume.

I wish him well. But not against the REDS if he ever manages to get it together and make the HOU 25-man roster.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Valentine is exactly the type of pitcher who will likely come back to hurt the Reds in a game sometime in the future.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I'd be surprised if he makes the club.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Some guys with great arms who start out poorly eventually get it together.

But tons more don't. The best indicator of future success is past (or present) success. Valentine has had little success, even in the minors. In fact, he realaly stunk out the joint.

The Guillen trade turned out to be a beauty for the Reds anyway, as Harang has turned into a really good pitcher.

If he continues to progress next year, he could easily win 18 or more games with better run support. In fact, if he pitches the same as last year, our offense could get him those wins. It's amazing that we didn't win substantially any more of Harang's starts as we did of Milton's and Ortiz'. But they got mega run support and Harang didn't.

got alil captain in u?

not sad to see him go we got the best out of that deal we got harang valentie was just a throw in if u look at it now

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Valentine is exactly the type of pitcher who will likely come back to hurt the Reds in a game sometime in the future.
    I think that's every pitcher
    Go Gators!

I have a joke, but will keep it to myself so I don't get rep points docked.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

In the 2nd half of 2004 he was the Reds best option out of the pen, yet everyone cheers his depature to a division rival.

Rather than spend the spring trying to figure out if Vern Ruhle could figure him out or at least polish him up a bit, the Reds send a live arm with some wicked stuff but terrible control out the door for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    In the 2nd half of 2004 he was the Reds best option out of the pen, yet everyone cheers his depature to a division rival.

Rather than spend the spring trying to figure out if Vern Ruhle could figure him out or at least polish him up a bit, the Reds send a live arm with some wicked stuff but terrible control out the door for nothing.
    Hey McClain - how goes the wedding....
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?