Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More discipline for Freel

More discipline for Freel

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...svc=7&cxcat=29

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | After Ryan Freel was arrested and charged with driving under the influence on Opening Day night April 4 in Northern Kentucky, the Cincinnati Reds required him to seek Employee Assistance Program help.

There is more of that ahead for the popular 30-year-old Reds infielder/outfielder, according to general manager Dan O'Brien.

Freel was arrested and charged with disorderly intoxication early Sunday morning by Tampa police outside a bar.

"Ryan will be back in the Employee Assistance Program and it will be on an expanded process," said O'Brien. "We have all the facts as we know them and we will let the legal process run its course."

Freel is expected to have a court appearance late this week or early next week.

Freel was attending a bachelor party for a friend at The Rack, a bar in Tampa, when problems erupted. Tampa police were flagged down outside the establishment by the bar's security people.

Police said security said Freel was yelling obscenities outside the bar, causing patrons to leave. Authorities said Freel was concerned that one of his two companions might be arrested and was shouting obscenities and telling one companion to shut up.

Police asked Freel to explain what was happening and he said he didn't want his friend to go to jail. Police said an officer began questioning Freel's unidentified friend and Freel continued to scream, "Just shut ... up or you'll go to jail," over and over.

Tampa police said Freel's eyes were red and glassy and they smelled alcohol. Officer Adonis Morejon said he asked Freel where he was staying and was told it was none of the officer's business and, "Our conversation is done," according to the police report.

Morejon said Freel was intoxicated to the point he was causing a disturbance and a disruption of The Rack's business.

Freel was handcuffed and taken to jail and Tampa police said he continued to yell obscenities while in the cruiser. Police said he refused a Breathalyzer test and told them he was unemployed.

Freel, who signed a two-year $3 million deal last month with the Reds, was arrested shortly after 3:30 a.m. and released at 11:30 a.m.

"It's very unfortunate, to say the least," said O'Brien.

Freel did not return several phone calls to his Jacksonville, Fla. home.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: More discipline for Freel

Bachelor party, huh? Go figure. Wow..I didn't even know that Bret Boone was engaged.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

2 incidents where he is out at 2:30 and 3:30 in the am? Show him the door DANO. Freel seems more interested in his dedication to as opposed to taking care of himself and his career. No I am not a self-rightous bible thumper. Just a Reds fan tired of the antics of mediocre athletes
    When a beer would taste good, have a Hudepohl :gac:

Have seen Mrs Freel before. I can assure you I would rather be home with her as opposed to drinkin with the boys.

2 incidents where he is out at 2:30 and 3:30 in the am?
    The world is not 9-5 despite the illusion that it is.
    Last edited by westofyou; 01-12-2006 at 11:23 AM.

from 2am to 330am i'm usually done with everything relavent to my job, so i'm usually doing research, reading, or writing.

from 9 to 5 i'm usually unconscious if i work that night.

years before i ever started working third shift, being awake and doing things at 330 in the morning felt so much more natural than doing them at 330 in the afternoon.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord

years before i ever started working third shift, being awake and doing things at 330 in the morning felt so much more natural than doing them at 330 in the afternoon.
    That's what I call the Piqua flu.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    That's what I call the Piqua flu.
    or at least being around you and my brother way too often during the formative years.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranjo17
    2 incidents where he is out at 2:30 and 3:30 in the am?
    Good heavens, out at that ungodly hour. I'll bet he ventures outside without a hat as well.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Police asked Freel to explain what was happening and he said he didn't want his friend to go to jail.
    I made that mistake once. A friend was getting hauled out of a bar to jail and we grabbed him and told the Columbus cop "if you take him, you'll have to take us all". So he did.

Pay attention to the open sky

Hey, I have no problem with Freel being out at 2:30 or 3:30. But drivng drunk with an open flask and being arrested for disturbing the public while intoxicated raises my eyebrow.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    I made that mistake once. A friend was getting hauled out of a bar to jail and we grabbed him and told the Columbus cop "if you take him, you'll have to take us all". So he did.

I would have paid good money to see that!!!!
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Good heavens, out at that ungodly hour. I'll bet he ventures outside without a hat as well.
    Brilliant line.

BTW, this sounds like a classic case of a cop who used a trumped up D'n'D to fix a situation a savvier officer would have diffused. Freel clearly should have zipped his yap sooner than he did, but busting a guy for yelling at his buddy is pretty bush.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Freel -- supposedly yelling obscenities while in the cruiser and claiming to be unemployed.

Whaaat?
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

it makes you wonder if the problems he and jimenez had were his own doing.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Turn Off Ads?