Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NFL Draft

Re: NFL Draft

Jay Cutler? I highly doubt he goes in the top 10.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blumj
    I don't know if the Saints really intend to draft Leinart, but I'm guessing he doesn't really intend to play for them.
    I'd guess if ANOTHER draft prospect tries to pull this "I'm picking my team," the NFL will intervene and make that go away quickly. It does them little good to have a trend started of the best players refusing to play for the worst teams because, in all honesty, that's only the way that bad teams get better...and teams going from bad to good is what the NFL loves to sell the league on.

All things considered, the Saints aren't a bad fit for Leinart either -- they've got some great offensive talent with McAllister, Horn, Stallworth, et. al. It's not a bad thing for a young QB to fall into.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    I'd guess if ANOTHER draft prospect tries to pull this "I'm picking my team," the NFL will intervene and make that go away quickly. It does them little good to have a trend started of the best players refusing to play for the worst teams because, in all honesty, that's only the way that bad teams get better...and teams going from bad to good is what the NFL loves to sell the league on.

All things considered, the Saints aren't a bad fit for Leinart either -- they've got some great offensive talent with McAllister, Horn, Stallworth, et. al. It's not a bad thing for a young QB to fall into.
    I'd like to see the Saints take Vince Young over Leinart, he is a better fit there IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

FWIW, that mock from Scouts that I posted earlier was actually created on January 3rd, before the bowls were even finished and a lot of juniors formally declared (or in the case of Posluszny, decided to go back to school). This is the one that Mel Kiper cranked out today, makes a little more sense than the scouts one. Although, he still has the Eagles taking Santonio Holmes. I'd be surprised if the Eagles actually went that route. They have not been very good at all at developing WRs in the Andy Reid ear (see Mitchell, Freddie), and I'd be surprised if they go that route in the first round (although I do think Holmes is better than FredEx). I wouldn't mind if they took Huff, since Dawkins and Lewis both only have a year left on their deals. I'd also love LenDale White, and think he would complement Westbrook, but I seriously doubt they would take him.

1. Houston -- *Reggie Bush, RB, USC
    2. New Orleans -- Matt Leinart, QB, USC
    3. Tennessee -- *Vince Young, QB, Texas
    4. New York Jets -- D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia
    5. Green Bay -- *Mario Williams, DE, NC State
    6. Oakland -- A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio State
    7. San Francisco -- DeMeco Ryans, LB, Alabama
    8. Buffalo -- *Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon
    9. Detroit -- Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt
    10. Arizona -- DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis
    11. St. Louis -- *Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland
    12. Cleveland -- Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa
    13. Baltimore -- Tamba Hali, DE, Penn State
    14. Philadelphia -- *Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State
    15. Atlanta -- Michael Huff, DB, Texas
    16. Miami -- *Winston Justice, OT, USC
    17. Minnesota -- *LenDale White, RB, USC
    18. Dallas -- Jimmy Williams, DB, Virginia Tech
    19. San Diego -- *Ko Simpson, DB, South Carolina
    20. Kansas City -- *Ashton Youboty, CB, Ohio State
    21. New England -- Bobby Carpenter, LB, Ohio State
    22. Denver (from Wash.) -- Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College
    23. Tampa Bay -- Derek Hagan, WR, Arizona State
    24. Cincinnati -- Claude Wroten, DT, LSU
    25. New York Giants -- *Ernie Sims, LB, Florida State
    26. Chicago -- *Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia
    27. Carolina -- *Anthony Fasano, TE, Notre Dame
    28. Pittsburgh -- *Antonio Cromartie, CB, Florida State
    29. Jacksonville -- Thomas Howard, LB, UTEP
    30. Indianapolis -- *Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota
    31. Denver -- *Darnell Bing, DB, USC
    32. Seattle -- *Chad Jackson, WR, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by gitrdunn44
    Jay Cutler? I highly doubt he goes in the top 10.
    2nd best drop back passer in the draft.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie
    24. Cincinnati -- Claude Wroten, DT, LSU
    Stay away, stay very far away.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I like Kiper's mock a lot better. I'm all for LenDale White at #17, though if Greenway fell I wouldn't be at all opposed to the Vikings taking him.

By the way, anyone know why Kiwanuka has fallen to the end of the first round? Guy was being touted as Top-10 not too long ago. I haven't looked up his numbers but maybe he had a bad year.

Anyone else have concerns about Bobby Carpenter being able to succeed without Hawk other than me? Though they aren't in the same league talent-wise, Hawk-Carpenter reminds me of Julius Peppers-Ryan Sims at NC a few years back. Peppers drew all the attention and Sims cleaned up numbers wise and got himself drafted in the middle of the first round. He struggled big time early on with KC and seems to have made himself useful, but no where close to what he should be considering where he was drafted. Seems to me that Hawk could have had the same effect on Carpenter. I think Carpenter can be a solid linebacker in the NFL, but I don't know about taking him that high, though NE would seem to be a good fit for him.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan
    I like Kiper's mock a lot better. I'm all for LenDale White at #17, though if Greenway fell I wouldn't be at all opposed to the Vikings taking him.

By the way, anyone know why Kiwanuka has fallen to the end of the first round? Guy was being touted as Top-10 not too long ago. I haven't looked up his numbers but maybe he had a bad year.

Anyone else have concerns about Bobby Carpenter being able to succeed without Hawk other than me? Though they aren't in the same league talent-wise, Hawk-Carpenter reminds me of Julius Peppers-Ryan Sims at NC a few years back. Peppers drew all the attention and Sims cleaned up numbers wise and got himself drafted in the middle of the first round. He struggled big time early on with KC and seems to have made himself useful, but no where close to what he should be considering where he was drafted. Seems to me that Hawk could have had the same effect on Carpenter. I think Carpenter can be a solid linebacker in the NFL, but I don't know about taking him that high, though NE would seem to be a good fit for him.
    Carpenter is a monster. I'm not worried about his pro potential at all.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    Carpenter is a monster. I'm not worried about his pro potential at all.
    I've actually been hoping that Carpenter falls to Tampa Bay at #23, which would allow the Bucs to start a LB corp of Derrick Brooks, Shelton Quarles, and Bobby Carpenter. I'm close to drooling just thinking about it.

I think Hawk is amazing, but he gets so much press that I think people really sleep on Carpenter. He has all the physical tools and mental skills to be a beast in the NFL.

I just hope Gruden understands that the defense is what drives the team and gives Monte a new piece to insert (and hopefully start a youth movement on "D"). The last thing the Bucs need is another wideout.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I don't like Kiper's draft at all!

The five guys I want are Demeco Ryans, Carpenter, Huff, Wooten or Youbouty. In this mock all five are gone by the time the G-Men pick at 25.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

I am not that sold on Youboty. He kinda reminds me of Nate Clement. They look really good most of the time but I wouldn't trust either one to lock their guy down at the end of a game.

If Huff is still available at 15 I hope the Bengals could swing a deal to grab him. Maybe offer up the 24th pick and a 3rd rounder, or the 24th and a 2nd rounder in 2007. Get a DT or a TE (whichever best is available) in the 2nd round and pursue the other in Free Agency. Seems like there are always solid DTs available in Free Agency. Man would I love to see Huff in stripes!

If we could get Marcedes Lewis in the 2nd round after nabbing Huff in the first, now THAT would be a draft!

The good thing is the Bengals have a long history of getting great value in the 2nd round, just look at some of these names:

Carl Pickens
    Tony McGee
    Darnay Scott
    Corey Dillon
    Chad Johnson
    Eric Steinbach
    Madieu Williams
    Odell Thurman
    Last edited by Benihana; 01-18-2006 at 01:53 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Problem is, I dont see Marcedes Lewis making it out of the first round. There is a possibility that Lewis, Davis, and Pope all three are drafted first round.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Problem is, I dont see Marcedes Lewis making it out of the first round. There is a possibility that Lewis, Davis, and Pope all three are drafted first round.
    Don't forget Fasano of Notre Dame. Kiper has him in the first round.

Either way, one or two of the 4 will surely fall - I can't see more than 2 TE's going in the first round. 3 tops.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?