Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers LB Porter Unimpressed w/ Colts Offense

For a Level Playing Field

Steelers LB Porter Unimpressed w/ Colts Offense

From espn.com. Joey hates teams that make him think. Imagine that?!?!

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Joey Porter would like to rewrite the Indianapolis Colts' playbook.

The AFC divisional playoff game Sunday at the RCA Dome is a rematch of the Steelers' 26-7 Monday night loss on Nov. 28, but Porter was unimpressed by the Colts' play in that game.

"They don't want to just sit there, line up and play football," Porter told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "They want to try to catch you off guard. They don't want to play smash-mouth football, they want to trick you. ... They want to catch you substituting. Know what I mean? They don't want to just call a play, get up there and run a play. They want to make you think. They want it to be a thinking game instead of a football game."

He called Edgerrin James' 124 yards in the November matchup a "cheap 100," and said the Colts couldn't line up and run straight at the Steelers defense.
    "I don't think they outhit us," Porter told the paper. "If they would have outhit us, they would have just lined up, and they wouldn't have done all the audibles every play. If you want to outhit us, line up and play football. That's when you outhit us. Line up, you get your people, we got our eight men in the box, run the ball."

By contrast, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger praised the Colts on Wednesday.

"This team is an unbelievable football team," Roethlisberger said of the Colts, who won their first 13 games before dropping two of their final three. "They're as good as it gets in the NFL. It's going to take our A-plus game to go out and beat their B-minus game."

This statistic might surprise those who consider the Steelers to be a slug-it-out-in-the-trenches team that bogs down when it can't run: Pittsburgh has averaged 29.5 points in its last six games, while the sleeker and supposedly faster Colts have averaged 22.3.

Also, the Steelers' defense has allowed only 13 points in the second half during their winning streak. To the Steelers, that means if they can hang around, keep the game close and start to frustrate Peyton Manning and Edgerrin James, they have a chance to steal the game.

"We're not going to be able to get behind by so many points and then try to fight back and play well after that," linebacker James Farrior said, referring to last Sunday's comeback from a 10-point deficit in a 31-17 win at Cincinnati. "We need to start off fast and keep it going. When you fall behind this team, it's going to be tough to come back."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Steelers LB Porter Unimpressed w/ Colts Offense

Can't wait until Indianapolis knocks that absolute dog crap out of them on Sunday.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

If thinking is not a part of football, the Joey Porter is part of the NFL's Mensa club.

As a steeler fan, I cringe every time he opens his rather loud mouth.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

I wonder how much thinking he put into these comments.......

Probably not much, seeing as how he doesn't like to think......

Moron.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Porter is the same idiot that stands on the 50 yard line during warm ups every game and tries to intimidate the other team. Everytime I have seen him do this I wish some player would get up and knock him out.

"They want to make you think"... Ahhhhhh. No wonder he doesn't like it.

How did that throwback WR TD work for ya last week, Joey? Or that HB pass with Bettis? Yeah, no trickery involved there.

Man, Porter takes me back to my high school days and our little saying about the dumb jock types: "My name is Joey. Me play football."
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

About 3:00 PM on Sunday this should all be over.

I hope the Colts hang fifty points on those cats.

The Steelers represent everything that's wrong with the game of Football.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    I hope the Colts hang fifty points on those cats.

The Steelers represent everything that's wrong with the game of Football.
    You mean a strong, family owned organization that is loyal to the community? That doesnt change coaches like some change their underwear (well, maybee Browns fans)? That does a good job of not employing criminals? That is responsible with the salary cap? That has sold out a bazillion home games in a row? Whose fans travel better than any in the league?

Is that whats worng with the game?

Joey Porter is a loud mouth fool who isnt the player he once was. His impact on a game with his mouth is non existant to a team that knows this.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    You mean a strong, family owned organization that is loyal to the community? That doesnt change coaches like some change their underwear (well, maybee Browns fans)? That does a good job of not employing criminals? That is responsible with the salary cap? That has sold out a bazillion home games in a row? Whose fans travel better than any in the league?

Is that whats worng with the game?

Joey Porter is a loud mouth fool who isnt the player he once was. His impact on a game with his mouth is non existant to a team that knows this.
    None of that did anything to prevent the Steelers players from acting like bloodthirsty thuggish louts this past Sunday.

Pointing to the replay of Palmer's injury whilst flexing muscles and taunting dejected fans has nothing to do with the Salary cap and a once storied past.

The 2005 version of the Pittsburgh Steelers is just a bunch of classless degenerates, the true image of their bejowled, whiny thug of a head coach.

They'll get theirs Sunday on the scoreboard, but a fate one thousand times worse awaits them in football hell.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

If it makes the pain easier for you, have fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    None of that did anything to prevent the Steelers players from acting like bloodthirsty thuggish louts this past Sunday.

Pointing to the replay of Palmer's injury whilst flexing muscles and taunting dejected fans has nothing to do with the Salary cap and a once storied past.

The 2005 version of the Pittsburgh Steelers is just a bunch of classless degenerates, the true image of their bejowled, whiny thug of a head coach.

They'll get theirs Sunday on the scoreboard, but a fate one thousand times worse awaits them in football hell.
    It ain't just the 2005 version. They've pretty much always played like tools under Cowher.

But that doesn't mean that other teams don't play similar meatheaded ball--Oakland's always been odious; Miami's had some jackarse teams; the Jets of course; the Ravens obviously.

I can think of only a handful of teams who comport themselves well in the game of football today--the Rams always seem to be decent citizens (the St. Louis version); this version of the Patriots are solid folk; the Lewis Bengals act like human beings. Can't think of too many more.

Guess that's why I can imperiously turn my nose up at the NFL each year.

I forgot one: Fisher's Titans don't bug me, either.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 01-12-2006 at 08:49 PM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

the Rams always seem to be decent citizens (the St. Louis version)
    on or off the field? they have had some real winners...Phillips, Leonard Little, Mrs Warner (just for the hair cut)....

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    It ain't just the 2005 version. They've pretty much always played like tools under Cowher.

But that doesn't mean that other teams don't play similar meatheaded ball--Oakland's always been odious; Miami's had some jackarse teams; the Jets of course; the Ravens obviously.

I can think of only a handful of teams who comport themselves well in the game of football today--the Rams always seem to be decent citizens (the St. Louis version); this version of the Patriots are solid folk; the Lewis Bengals act like human beings. Can't think of too many more.

Guess that's why I can imperiously turn my nose up at the NFL each year.

I forgot one: Fisher's Titans don't bug me, either.
    That's what I meant when I said that they (the Steelers) represent what I find to be generally malodious about football.

Oh, I'm a big fan, but I'll not take part in defending some of the nonsense that goes on between the lines.

So, in essence, the Steelers are Football.

Alot of the good, mostly the bad.

Turn Off Ads?