Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Winter Caravan Dates Announced

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Reds Winter Caravan Dates Announced

http://www.sportsfeatures.com/index....=show&id=28287
    REDS ANNOUNCE CITIES, DATES FOR 2006 WINTER CARAVAN
    Thursday, January 12, 2006
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CINCINNATI - The Cincinnati Reds today announced the dates, times and locations for their annual Winter Caravan. All stops are free and open to the public.

The winter caravan will make its first public stop on Thursday, January 26 at Pinheads in northeast Indianapolis, followed the next day by stops at the Lima Mall in Lima and Flannagan’s Dublin on the outskirts of Columbus. The caravan will make its first visit to Indianapolis since 2001.

On Saturday, January 28, the caravan will visit Fricker’s in the Dayton suburb of
    West Carrollton and the Louisville Slugger Museum in Louisville. The road trip will conclude on Sunday, January 29 with visits to the Ashland Town Center in Ashland, KY and Champion Sports Lexington in Nicholasville.

The very popular Winter Caravan provides fans with the opportunity to interact with Reds manager
    Jerry Narron, players, broadcasters and other members of the front office staff. At each stop, the group will field questions from fans, sign autographs and pose for photographs. Sales representatives will be on hand to discuss season tickets and group sales, and the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum also will display a traveling exhibit.

Scheduled to appear at all seven Winter Caravan stops are
    Narron, general manager Dan O’Brien, Hall of Fame broadcaster Marty Brennaman and Reds Radio partner Steve Stewart along with representatives of the new ownership group. Senior special assistant Gene Bennett will join the group in Ashland.

Newly-acquired pitcher
    Dave Williams will be accompanied on the Thursday and Friday stops by the organization’s Minor League Player of the Year, which will be announced at the LaSalle High School Stag on Wednesday, January 25. Pitcher Kent Mercker once again will attend the popular stop at Flannagan’s Dublin.

Pitcher
    Todd Coffey and Tom Browning, the newest member of the Reds Hall of Fame, will be in Dayton, Louisville, Ashland and Lexington.

Outfielder
    Austin Kearns will visit the Champion Sports Lexington event. More caravan participants will be announced next week.

Code:
    Date:   Location        Time
    Thursday, January 26    Indianapolis, Pinheads  5:00 to 7:00 p.m.

Friday, January 27      Lima, Lima Mall Noon to 2:00 p.m.
                            Columbus, Flannagan’s Dublin    5:00 to 7:00 p.m.

Saturday, January 28    Dayton, Fricker’s in West Carrollton    Noon to 2:00 p.m.
                            Louisville, Louisville Slugger Museum   5:00 to 7:00 p.m.

Sunday, January 29      Ashland, KY, Ashland Town Center        Noon to 2:00 p.m.
                            Nicholasville, KY, Champion Sports Lexington    5:00 to 7:00 p.m.

Media Availability
    Caravan participants will be available to the media prior to each event. Television stations interested in live shots during a scheduled event should contact Rob Butcher at (513) 765-7090.
    ------
    In Dayton, the caravan also will be available to the media prior to the January 26 Dayton Agonis Club luncheon at the Kettering Presidential Banquet Center. The luncheon begins at 11:30 a.m..

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Winter Caravan Dates Announced

What's the over/under on DanO canceling?

Saturday lunch at Frickers, huh? hmmmm.....
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    What's the over/under on DanO canceling?

Saturday lunch at Frickers, huh? hmmmm.....

I was thinking the same thing. It's right down the road, pretty much.

Gotta love this PR bunch in cincinnati..Butcher, et al. Really saavy in getting the fan base pumped up.

From the time I was 12, the Reds had a caravan stop in West Virginia. It was mostly Charleston at the Civic Center, but it was also held at the Town Center Mall or Murad's a couple of times. As the present "brain trust" (and I use that term loosely) took over, they moved it to Huntington, WV and now they've moved it out of WV completely to Ashland, KY.

Now, I want to say that I love Huntington--it's one of my favorite towns in WV (maybe my favorite), but in Charleston you had the state press there and they covered it very well. The last few years, the state papers haven't even given it a nod when they "rolled" through Huntington and now Ashland.

It's a total misunderstanding of the large area that the Reds must court in order to gain a fan base. A thought totally lost on the idiots in the PR department of the Reds.

I loathe Butcher and his comrades. I'll never forget him telling me a station that hadn't carried the Reds in three years was a local station for me.

I hope he gets the ax and very soon when the new owners take over, but it seems they never will until another season is ruined by incompetence, not only on the field, but off as well.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    Gotta love this PR bunch in cincinnati..Butcher, et al. Really saavy in getting the fan base pumped up.

From the time I was 12, the Reds had a caravan stop in West Virginia. It was mostly Charleston at the Civic Center, but it was also held at the Town Center Mall or Murad's a couple of times. As the present "brain trust" (and I use that term loosely) took over, they moved it to Huntington, WV and now they've moved it out of WV completely to Ashland, KY.

Now, I want to say that I love Huntington--it's one of my favorite towns in WV (maybe my favorite), but in Charleston you had the state press there and they covered it very well. The last few years, the state papers haven't even given it a nod when they "rolled" through Huntington and now Ashland.

It's a total misunderstanding of the large area that the Reds must court in order to gain a fan base. A thought totally lost on the idiots in the PR department of the Reds.

I loathe Butcher and his comrades. I'll never forget him telling me a station that hadn't carried the Reds in three years was a local station for me.

I hope he gets the ax and very soon when the new owners take over, but it seems they never will until another season is ruined by incompetence, not only on the field, but off as well.
    True, but for 5 years they ignored Indy and that surrounding area (which I would venture has more fans). Give them some credit for getting back to Indy. Has anyone ever wrote to the FO to ask them why they are missing WV?
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    True, but for 5 years they ignored Indy and that surrounding area (which I would venture has more fans). Give them some credit for getting back to Indy. Has anyone ever wrote to the FO to ask them why they are missing WV?
    That kind of surprised me as well that they are going back to Indy. Perhaps they have ceded WV to PIT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    That kind of surprised me as well that they are going back to Indy. Perhaps they have ceded WV to PIT.
    Kitty, I gave up trying to talk to them several years ago when the whole radio station flap came up, but I did write them about the caravan not being in Charleston last year. I can't find it, but it read like one of Dan O'Brien's wordy say-nothings. Basically, the Reds base is in Southern Ohio, Northern Kentucky and Eastern Indiana, so with limited funds they have to go where their base is. OK, they why couldn't they travel 10 miles over the border into WV from Ashland for PR?

Chip, they can concede the area to the Pirates, but even though MLB has allowed Pittsburgh to claim it, no ones cares what the Buccos do. In fact, I'm probably the only person in my county with connections to Pittsburgh (Wife's from there), and most folks are Reds, Braves, or Yankee fans these days--with the emphasis on Braves. She was constant coverage will do for you when you have none in an area. BTW, the Braves win, too. That always helps. We haven't done that for 6 years. That always hurts.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

True. The Huntington area, especially, roots for the Reds. There aren't too many Pirates fans here. You'll find many more of those in the northern part of WV.

Quote Originally Posted by realreds1
    True. The Huntington area, especially, roots for the Reds. There aren't too many Pirates fans here. You'll find many more of those in the northern part of WV.
    Huntington is primarily Reds country. I believe that once you go north of Charleston the Pirates become the "local" team.
    Back in the 1960s and 1970s the Reds winter caravan always stopped in Huntington, and in those days the stars of the team often were in attendance. Pete Rose made several appearances. Today you cannot get the stars to come to what they probably consider to be backwater areas to promote the team and the sport.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    Huntington is primarily Reds country. I believe that once you go north of Charleston the Pirates become the "local" team.
    Back in the 1960s and 1970s the Reds winter caravan always stopped in Huntington, and in those days the stars of the team often were in attendance. Pete Rose made several appearances. Today you cannot get the stars to come to what they probably consider to be backwater areas to promote the team and the sport.
    Most of the "stars" don't live in the greater Cincinnati area anymore, that's why....
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    Chip, they can concede the area to the Pirates, but even though MLB has allowed Pittsburgh to claim it, no ones cares what the Buccos do. In fact, I'm probably the only person in my county with connections to Pittsburgh (Wife's from there), and most folks are Reds, Braves, or Yankee fans these days--with the emphasis on Braves. She was constant coverage will do for you when you have none in an area. BTW, the Braves win, too. That always helps. We haven't done that for 6 years. That always hurts.
    Well, I'm not saying they should rather that they might have.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

It's interesting to note that on the '04 TV blackout map, the Reds claim the western half of WV as their territory. And yet they choose not to drag the caravan in that direction.

Maybe the addition of the Nationals to that region is leading the Reds to cede that territory?

Besides WVRedsFan, there probably needs to be a grassroots push to get the caravan back to WV. What places/establishments did the team use for the festivities before in Charleston and Huntington? Would they be willing to entertain the team again?

BTW, I think the reason, besides the Reds trying to cover their territory, that the caravan stopped off at Huntington and now the Ashland area is the Don Gullett "connection". Gullett is from Greenup County, KY which is not far from Ashland. The stopover in Charleston was made easier when the team had a minor league affiliate there.

Gullett certainly had a following in this area, but he was still in high school back in the winter of 1966-67 when the Reds winter caravan stopped in Huntington. I can still remember the Huntington Herald-Dispatch's articles on the visit, which included manager Dave Bristol and Pete Rose in attendance. Bristol pledged that the Reds, coming off a 7th place finish in 1966, would be contenders in 1967, and for the first part of 1967 he was right. The Reds lead the NL early on in 1967, before injuries crippled the team and a superior Cardinals team surpassed them.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    It's interesting to note that on the '04 TV blackout map, the Reds claim the western half of WV as their territory. And yet they choose not to drag the caravan in that direction.

Maybe the addition of the Nationals to that region is leading the Reds to cede that territory?
    They claim all of KY, but they don't go south of Lexington or Louisville. Makes a lot of sense. The problem is MLB and it's crazy blackout rules.:thumbdown

Let's hope that a lot of these guys don't have jobs when this is scheduled.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?