Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds Winter Caravan Dates Announced

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Reds Winter Caravan Dates Announced

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    They claim all of KY, but they don't go south of Lexington or Louisville. Makes a lot of sense. The problem is MLB and it's crazy blackout rules.:thumbdown
    I think that boundary has deeper historical roots than the satellite blackout. In the late 80s, I lived in Knoxville, the next media market south of Lexington. It was unusual to see Reds fans there, and I never knew anyone else there who was native to the area and a fan.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    Besides WVRedsFan, there probably needs to be a grassroots push to get the caravan back to WV. What places/establishments did the team use for the festivities before in Charleston and Huntington? Would they be willing to entertain the team again?

BTW, I think the reason, besides the Reds trying to cover their territory, that the caravan stopped off at Huntington and now the Ashland area is the Don Gullett "connection". Gullett is from Greenup County, KY which is not far from Ashland. The stopover in Charleston was made easier when the team had a minor league affiliate there.
    They've been all over the map on that. Back in the olden days (60's and 70's) they met at local restaurants. I remember the Sterling in Charleston. Later on they were at the Town Center Mall, Murad's Restaurant, Charleston Civic Center, etc.

Who knows, Kitty. The Reds are such a non-item in most places these days that they may not want them. Especially if all you can get on the caravan is Jerry Narron, Marty, and Mercker.

Maybe I should just give up and live with it. The PR people are clueless. We are in this position of not having an extended fan base because of it. I can only hope new ownership has the good sense to make some changes.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    They've been all over the map on that. Back in the olden days (60's and 70's) they met at local restaurants. I remember the Sterling in Charleston. Later on they were at the Town Center Mall, Murad's Restaurant, Charleston Civic Center, etc.

Who knows, Kitty. The Reds are such a non-item in most places these days that they may not want them. Especially if all you can get on the caravan is Jerry Narron, Marty, and Mercker.

Maybe I should just give up and live with it. The PR people are clueless. We are in this position of not having an extended fan base because of it. I can only hope new ownership has the good sense to make some changes.
    Who can I email in the FO that could help me get the Reds on my local cable? I must have FSN Cincy before Opening Day!
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Who can I email in the FO that could help me get the Reds on my local cable? I must have FSN Cincy before Opening Day!
    Your local cable company. And they may not be able to get FSN Cincy.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    Your local cable company. And they may not be able to get FSN Cincy.
    They can, but they refuse. They had it right before I moved to town. My parents had it at that time. I was just wondering if there was someone in the front office that was responsible for getting the Reds on more outlets.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Thought I should pop this back up with the caravan just a few days away.

The firing today brings up a few questions:

Will Kullman be on hand instead of DanO?

Who exactly will be the representatives for the new ownership?

I think with what I've seen from Bob Cass so far, I honestly would not be overly surprised if he or the Williams brothers were out there themselves. Odds of it happening are slim but it would be pretty neat to meet them and thank them. I have a feeling it will just be PR type people but I can hope.

Thoughts?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21
    Thought I should pop this back up with the caravan just a few days away.

The firing today brings up a few questions:

Will Kullman be on hand instead of DanO?

Who exactly will be the representatives for the new ownership?
    A new news release answers those questions...

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/conten...4/c1299876.jsp

Reds Winter Caravan kicks off Thursday with return to Indy
    01/24/2006 1:43 PM ET Cincinnati Reds

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Reds will kick off their Winter Caravan with a stop at 5:00 p.m. on Thursday at Pinheads in northeast Indianapolis. The caravan is returning to Indianapolis for the first time since 2001. All seven Winter Caravan stops are free and open to the public. At each site, the Reds will raffle off 2 tickets to the 2006 Opening Day game against the Chicago Cubs.

On Friday, the caravan will visit the Lima Mall in Lima and Flannagan's Dublin on the outskirts of Columbus, followed on Saturday by stops at Fricker's in the Dayton suburb of West Carrollton and the Louisville Slugger Museum in Louisville. The road trip will conclude Sunday with visits to the Ashland Town Center in Ashland, KY and Champion Sports Lexington in Nicholasville.

The very popular Winter Caravan provides fans with the opportunity to interact with Reds manager Jerry Narron, players, broadcasters and other members of the front office staff. At each stop, the group will field questions from fans, sign autographs and pose for photographs. Sales representatives will be on hand to discuss season tickets and group sales, and the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum also will display a traveling exhibit.

Scheduled to appear at all seven Winter Caravan stops are Narron, Hall of Fame broadcaster Marty Brennaman and Reds Radio partner Steve Stewart, new Reds Hall of Famer Lee May and senior director of business operations Phil Castellini. Senior special assistant Gene Bennett will join the group in Ashland.

Newly-acquired pitcher Dave Williams will be accompanied on the Thursday and Friday stops by the organization's Minor League Player of the Year, which will be announced at the LaSalle High School Stag tomorrow night. Pitcher Kent Mercker once again will attend the popular stop at Flannagan's Dublin.

Todd Coffey will join the caravan in Dayton, while Tom Browning, another new Reds Hall of Famer, will entertain in Louisville, Ashland and Lexington. Outfielder Austin Kearns will visit the Lexington event.

Reds Chick Baseblogger

I'm planning to attend the first stop in Indy on Thursday. If you're in the area and want to meet the wisenheimer woman writing all the fake news, do drop by. I'll have a free copy of Funnyball for the first person who can pick me out of the crowd.

I've got post about it over at RHM.
    Endeavoring to make "Javier Valentin" a household name since 2005.

Check out this week's podcast.

Anyone going to Lima on Friday?

Some Columbus folks should get together on Friday.

I'll buy the first round.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?