Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: McCoy: 1/13 Reds will sort through crowd at second base

Hybrid View

McCoy: 1/13 Reds will sort through crowd at second base

Narron: 'Somebody will be mad. That's fine ... I can take it'
    By Hal McCoy
    Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | As head coach of the Goldsboro (N.C.) Rosewood girls high school basketball team, Cincinnati Reds manager Jerry Narron was squirmy during baseball's early-December winter meetings in Dallas.

His team was 2-0 at the time, with three games scheduled during his absence. While he was at the meetings, the team went 1-2.

After he returned, Rosewood won six straight and is now 9-2, "And we beat one of the teams that beat us while I was gone, so maybe it was the coaching," he said with a sly grin.

Coaching girls basketball most likely takes his mind away from some upcoming problems with his baseball team and not only the pitching.

For several seasons, a problem existed due to an overcrowded outfield and five guys wanting to play every day. If one believes that was a crowded situation, take a peek at second base when the Reds report to their Sarasota camp in mid-February. It is more crowded than a bank teller's window where free money is being passed out.

There is Ryan Freel, Tony Womack, Rich Aurilia, Ray Olmedo and William Bergolla all going to sleep at night dreaming of turning double plays on a steady basis with shortstop Felipe Lopez.

What is a manager to do?

"First of all, I don't like to see jobs handed to kids, they have to earn them," Narron said.

His reference was to 23-year-old third baseman Edwin Encarnacion, who was called up from Class AAA Louisville on July 23 when Joe Randa was traded, but it includes Olmedo and Bergolla at second base.

Encarnacion played third base the rest of the season and hit .232 with nine homers in 211 at-bats, but struck out 60 times and was a defensive liability with 10 errors, mostly on throws.

"It will be awesome to see Encarnacion come back, but it's also awesome to see Richie (Aurilia) come back because he can play third, short and second," Narron said.

Aurilia, a free agent who re-signed with the Reds at the last possible moment, wanted some assurances he would play second base. He didn't get them, although he could win the position during spring training.

Of Freel, Narron said, "He is a special guy who is comfortable playing anywhere. We need to manufacture runs, so having him in the lineup somewhere is important to us, and I'd like to have him in the lineup at all times."

Womack is nearly a Freel knockoff a guy with speed who can play several infield positions and the outfield. Olmedo and Bergolla are long shots.

"I'll try my best to get 'em all (Freel, Aurilia, Womack) on the field whenever I can," Narron said. "It is outstanding to have three guys of that caliber. I know that if they all stay healthy, it is going to be tough and somebody is going to be mad. And that's fine with me, I can take it. You want guys who want to be on the field every inning."

Of his team without Sean Casey, traded to Pittsburgh, and with Adam Dunn moving to first base and Wily Mo Pena manning left field, Narron said, "I wish Casey wasn't in our division. That scares me.

"Strikeouts are definitely a concern," he added, realizing Dunn, Pena, Austin Kearns, Lopez and Jason LaRue all struck out more than 100 times last season. Ken Griffey Jr. whiffed 93 times and Encarnacion is a 100-K guy if he plays all year.

"But as we proved last year, we are capable of scoring a lot of runs (No. 1 in NL) and hitting a lot of home runs with these guys."
    Thankfully & hopefully this charade will end soon.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Re: McCoy: 1/13 Reds will sort through crowd at second base

Please proceed with bringing in the Bobs so the firings can start.

Please.

Pretty Please.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Womack is nearly a Freel knockoff — a guy with speed who can play several infield positions and the outfield.
    A Freel knockoff. If you mean a cheap imitation that only fools the rubes who acquire them, I'm with ya' Hal.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    A Freel knockoff. If you mean a cheap imitation that only fools the rubes who acquire them, I'm with ya' Hal.
    think Hal even knows what an OBP or a SLG is?
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    think Hal even knows what an OBP or a SLG is?

He said those were the abbreviations for Oak Barrell Punch (Bourbon) & Sloe Gin

Tony Womack, the cubic zirconia of Ryan Freels.

Pay attention to the open sky

Womack is nearly a Freel knockoff — a guy with speed who can play several infield positions and the outfield. Olmedo and Bergolla are long shots.
    Except for that whole getting on base thing.

Somebody force Hal to retire now, please.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    Except for that whole getting on base thing.

Somebody force Hal to retire now, please.
    And to say that Womack plays OF is a stretch. The Yankees put him out in LF for a few games last year, but I wouldn't consider him an option there.

The worst pitching staff in the NL and the Reds are stockpiling second basemen.

The Reds will have no range at 2B, 3B, and CF on Opening Day.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    The worst pitching staff in the NL and the Reds are stockpiling second basemen.

The Reds will have no range at 2B, 3B, and CF on Opening Day.
    Meant too quote this post before...sorry.

And we won't need them.

Every ball hit will be out of the yard.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

From Hal

Womack is nearly a Freel knockoff
    ... except for the fact he can't find first base.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Code:
    162-Game Average
    Player		AB	H	2B	3B	HR	BB	K	SB	CS	AVG	OBP	SLG
    Womack		622	170	24	8	4	38	82	46	9	273	316	356
    Freel		562	155	26	7	6	70	89	46	14	276	369	377

Best Season (by OBP, minimum 400 PAs)
    Player		AB	H	2B	3B	HR	BB	K	SB	CS	AVG	OBP	SLG
    Womack		553	170	22	3	5	36	60	26	5	307	349	385
    Freel		505	140	21	8	3	67	88	37	10	277	375	368
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

When the team is gonna suck it's ok to let a kid have a job, if he tanks you act then.
    Go Gators!

After he returned, Rosewood won six straight and is now 9-2, "And we beat one of the teams that beat us while I was gone, so maybe it was the coaching," he said with a sly grin.
    Sounds like Narron has found his calling -- coaching girls' basketball.

Please join me in encouraging him to follow that dream on a full-time basis.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 01-13-2006 at 11:24 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Sounds like Narron has found his calling -- coaching girls' basketball.

Please join me in encouraging him to follow that dream on a full-time basis.

Yeah, I wonder how he does when he has 12 players on his roster and 6 of them are point guards.....
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?