Turn Off Ads?

Thread: DanO - gone round the bend

DanO - gone round the bend

This off-season has been far the most perplexing of the DanO tenure. So much so I am beginning to question his sanity.

I liked his Balfour signing until someone pointed out that he had labrum and cuff surgery on Sept 30. I didn't know that, I knew he missed 05 with TJ surgery. As Will Carroll said there are no comps for what Balfour will try to recover from. So we sign a guy to a one year deal who seems unlikely to pitch in that year and even if he can it is likley he will only be a shadow of his former self.

The most pressing problems for the Reds going into the off-season were pitching and OF defense. Neither has been addressed. If the Reds were smart they were try to acquire a now expandable Matos from the O's for very little.

I got the Hardball Times 2006 annual and BTW it is really good. Reminds me of the old Bill James Abstracts only better because they have a lot of different writers providing input.

There was a discussion of balls in play with park factors. BTW, GABP is the worst stadium in the league to hit a GB. The outcomes of GBs have a better result for the defense in GABP than any other major league. However, FBs are a bad thing at GABP for a pitcher. Now I realize DanO doesn't know the actual numbers but ignorance is not an excuse. The comment by the writer on GABP was "find ground ball pitchers". Also noted from the annual that the 2005 Reds had the worst OF defense in baseball.

I have no idea what to make of his collecting utility IFs at a dizzying rate. It almost seems as if his goal is to collect players with little value(or none) and no upside. All of this while not addressing the real issues with the team.

Jan 19 and pink slips for Allen, DanO and possibly Narron can't come fast enough.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: DanO - gone round the bend

I think I am going to see my psychiatrist. I hope she's in.

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

He's just trying to screw things up as badly as possible before he gets the boot.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion
    He's just trying to screw things up as badly as possible before he gets the boot.
    That would actually feel better

But...he really thinks these deals help the team, he really thinks we are going to contend

Go Gators!

Retired

The 19th is quickly approaching, hopefully in the coming days there will be some leaks regarding the status of Mr. O'Brien.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    The 19th is quickly approaching, hopefully in the coming days there will be some leaks regarding the status of Mr. O'Brien.

Where's the Big Donkey when we need'em?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I hope you all don't jump off of the nearest bridge or tall building if this doesn't happen in January. It would be a drag to have to train newbie posters to replace you.

Needless to say, I don't think it will happen that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Needless to say, I don't think it will happen that soon.
    Neither do I. I hope it will but I have my doubts.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I have my money on July 8...when the Reds are hoplessly in last place.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    Neither do I. I hope it will but I have my doubts.
    Same.

I think the new owners are not the type to come in and fire everyone, they will take a nice conservative "wait and see"
    Go Gators!

The baffling part to me is why in the heck does Dano waste money on 5 2nd baseman slash infielders? If your going to sign up to the raging lunatic club atleast waste the money on the Balfours and Trabers etc of this world. It hurts deeply to be a Red's fan now. I love Adamn Dunn but I would trade him for some ebb of hope at a future. With Dano in charge I trade no one of value though, he has truly defined incompetence.

Turn Off Ads?