Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleveland Paper: Graves Hoping to Revive Career

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Cleveland Paper: Graves Hoping to Revive Career

No mention of the Vietnam trip, so I figured this deserved its own thread.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plai...150.xml&coll=2

Now, it's Graves who's the veteran

Friday, January 13, 2006Burt Graeff
    Plain Dealer Reporter

The hair is long. The ears are pierced and about a dozen tattoos line various body parts belonging the Danny Graves.

"I was a kid the last time I was in here," said Graves, looking around the Indians clubhouse on Thursday afternoon. "I am different now."

Some of the nameplates he saw above the lockers in the empty clubhouse at Jacobs Field on Wednesday: Hafner, Boone, Sabathia, Peralta.

The nameplates are much different than the ones Graves saw when he was called up to the Indians in July 1996. "Guys like [Albert] Belle, [Kenny] Lofton and [Jim] Thome were here then," Graves said.

"I saw those superstars and I wanted to go hide in a corner. Now, I talk a lot."

Graves was 23 when he first appeared in a big-league game, pitching two innings in a 19-11 victory over the Minnesota Twins on July 13, 1996.
    Baseball careers often have unusual twists. The Indians sent Graves, then a right-handed prospect, to the Cincinnati Reds as part of a six-player trade in July 1997.

In Cincinnati, Graves' career came alive, then died.

Now, back in Cleveland, Graves hopes to revive it.

The Tribe, looking for help with the departure of Bob Howry to the Chicago Cubs, signed Graves to a minor-league contract in December with an invitation to the big-league camp for spring training.

"I felt like I was 44 years old at the end of last season," said Graves, 32.

"Today, I feel like I am 24.

"I am a born-again baseball player."

Graves holds the Reds' franchise record for career saves - 182 - but what turned out to be an ill-fated move to the starting rotation in 2003, where he went 4-15 (5.33 ERA), sent a blossoming career into a tailspin.

The Indians played a role in Graves' career bottoming out. In a May 22 game at Cincinnati against the Tribe, Graves started the ninth and was rocked for five runs in one-third of an inning in a 9-2 loss.

Moments after he was removed from the game, a fan near the Reds dugout barked a racial slur to Graves, who is the lone big-league player born in Vietnam. Graves responded with an obscene gesture and, on the next day, was designated for assignment by the Reds.

"The fan should not have said what he said and I should have not responded the way I did," said Graves, who closed out the season with the New York Mets and the Class AAA Norfolk Tides.

Graves is eager for the chance to revive his career where it began.
    "Mentally, the starting thing stayed with me for a long time," Graves said. "I can joke about it now. Hopefully, the 15 losses is out of my system.

"Physically, I think I'm close to being back. The arm strength is there."
    Tribe General Manager Mark Shapiro was the team's director of minor-league operations when Graves was traded nearly nine years ago. "On the day I left," Graves said, "Mark told me he'd try to get me back.

"When I came in here today, it was like I never left. Even if some things are different."

Like the longer hair, the ear piercings, the tattoos and the nameplates above the lockers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cleveland Paper: Graves Hoping to Revive Career

I for one am rooting for Graves, and hope he is able to have an effective year for the Tribe.
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

I wonder if he has been in contact with Miracle Max.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Graves was 23 when he first appeared in a big-league game, pitching two innings in a 19-11 victory over the Minnesota Twins on July 13, 1996.
    NM, was thinking of another game.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I remember Larry Holmes' comeback against Mike Tyson.

That went well.

I wonder if Graves will be using a wooden racket like Bjorn Borg.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

Sava and I are probably the only ones hoping for Danny to succeed.

I love his personality and he was ALWAYS the most fan-friendly player at Reds Fest, often signing autographs as he passed through the crowd arfter his session was finished.

I know he's said/done a couple unfortunate things... so have I (and, if you're honest, so have you... even on the job).

I'm glad he's getting a second chance. I hope he truly makes the best of it.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

got alil captain in u?

he won't last long in an indian uniform and we'll still be on him and he aint even a red anymore

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I like Danny and wish him well. Someone has to represent all the little people out there. Just kidding. He was a quality pitcher for most of his days as a Red and it was sad to see it end on such a low note.

However, it's hard to see how he is going to revive his career unless he can find the 6-8mph he lost off his fastball.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    I like Danny and wish him well. Someone has to represent all the little people out there. Just kidding. He was a quality pitcher for most of his days as a Red and it was sad to see it end on such a low note.

However, it's hard to see how he is going to revive his career unless he can find the 6-8mph he lost off his fastball.
    Yep, unless Danny can find his knuckleball, I'm afraid his day as a big-leaguer is done.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

"I was a kid the last time I was in here," said Graves, looking around the Indians clubhouse on Thursday afternoon. "I am different now."
    And feeling kinda' "small."
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Definitely not true!! I'll always cheer for Danny to do well... I really hope it works out for him in Cleveland!!
    BARRY LARKIN
    "You made me hope for something better
    And made me reach for something more"

"Love is doing all the little things that don't show up in the box score."

Will he stop blaming us soon?

Seriously, I hope he has success
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Barry11
    Definitely not true!! I'll always cheer for Danny to do well... I really hope it works out for him in Cleveland!!
    I was glad to see him gone, but I wish him well.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Time will tell I wish him well. He's got to get past the mental wall and let it fly. He really doesn't have many pitches, everyong pretty much knows what's coming.

If he doesn't regain the sink on his sinker and add a few mph's on his fastball, he's toast.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Turn Off Ads?